Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Be carefull all :)

newsuba said:

Are these Puke testdays more like old style open days with no scrutineering/documentation etc ?

Been a while since i went to one of these days put on by the honda boys but it was pretty wild west stuff, on and off the track. CS track days are tame in comparision

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qwerty']

[quote name='newsuba said:

Are these Puke testdays more like old style open days with no scrutineering/documentation etc ?

/quote]

Been a while since i went to one of these days put on by the honda boys but it was pretty wild west stuff, on and off the track. CS track days are tame in comparision

Amen

Guest boostcut

jase is on to it. the hump in the front straight at puke seems to be getting bigger too. im sure 10 years ago in didnt claim as many cars as it seems to now???

If it is true that he had the 3 semi slicks with one slick on the front drivers side.... I would say that it was an accident just waiting to happen.....

Sad but FFS if your going to try those sort of tricks your asking for trouble....

newsuba said:

Hang on while I find some more pix...

;)

Three semi slicks and a full slick on the front right, brand new rears.

27713_10150153852855507_703485506_1.jpg

27713_10150153856590507_703485506_1.jpg

Muppet ?

looks to me like the tyre you said to be a full slick is in fact a more worn semi-slick ???

B4 2000']

looks to me like the tyre you said to be a full slick is in fact a more worn semi-slick ???

It looks alot like a normal slick to me.

[quote name='JoKer said:

I'm struggling to see the significance, agree not ideal but I reckon driver error (too fast/jerky steering motion/weight transfer)

Would you go out on the track with a space saver on one wheel? And then try to hang on to it over the hill at Puke??

Prob not quite the same but depending on the compound of the slick compared to the semi's, I'd guess the slick would have significantly better grip than the other three tyres. Especially if the rears were still green.

Personally I think that if you go out and push it with that mix of tyres on, you deserve to end up in the wall, cause you'd be bloody lucky if you managed to keep it on the track.

Guest boostin
 boostcut said:

jase is on to it. the hump in the front straight at puke seems to be getting bigger too. im sure 10 years ago in didnt claim as many cars as it seems to now???

Its cheaper and easier to get cars to go faster these days. That and more track days with inexperienced drivers trying to be Greg Murphy. It all adds up to more crashes.

Nothing says "racing is dangerous guys" more than this one, I've found (well except for maybe Robert Kubica's crash in the Canadian Grand Prix in 2007 - iirc the F1 car essentially spun out, hit a wall, flipped over another (moving) car almost taking that guy's head off, kept spinning, hit another wall, bounced, kept spinning...car was DESTROYED but he was fine aside from a broken leg)

nismocrashsccazf4.gif

Guy walked away from this one (90mph into a corner and the brakes failed, iirc) thanks to a very good roll cage :o:)

• 1 month later...

I was on the track at Puke when that happened, maybe 1/4 track length behind the Honda. Most of the time the days are incident free but I have often seem crashes. I have pics of an S2000 that hit the wall coming over the hill at the exact same spot from late last year. Lots of fun but some of the people there cannot drive worth squat. MHO.

At my first track day there I was told "no over taking in the corners" - first thing that happens - some nut job in a white civic comes flying past me into the hairpin, tyres locked up and smoking away, over taking in the corner.

If you go to a track day you do it at your own risk - regardless of who organises it.

id seen this dude in action 2 times, he was ok, his civic was pretty darn quick, coming up over the hill there is pretty tricky if your going properly fast, he just made a mistake, i dont know why people like throwing in their two cents about others lives, sure he may of had a mismatch of tyres and it goes against conventional wisdom but that was his choice and who is to say it caused the incident

• 2 weeks later...
 MercuryFree']

My old boss has the door off that porsche hanging on the wall of his workshop. He was just in the right place at the right time.

I see no porsche :S

look more closely

Did that Mini crash remind anyone of this big Porsche crash at Puke a few years ago ?

url]

[/url]

funkytown']

My old boss has the door off that porsche hanging on the wall of his workshop. He was just in the right place at the right time.

I see no porsche :S

look more closely

Did that Mini crash remind anyone of this big Porsche crash at Puke a few years ago ?

url]

[/url]

Oh there we go, somehow missed that one, ouch :(

• 3 months later...

I did a drive in an Ariel Atom at Pukekohe a few years back.

The race driver/instructor in the car with me kept yelling at me to slow down as you come out the last corner onto the straight. It was through the helmet headset so I couldn't hear him properly so I just kept my foot flat.

After my session he pulled me aside and told me off - and explained that, especially in a car with no downforce, there is a barely discernible bump and as you come off it under power, it can catch you out. I thought he was dumb cos I hadn't noticed it at all, but seeing this makes me think its in the same spot.... so....