Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

hid headlight kits

Jonnysnow

They are one of those mods that you can get away with at some Wof inspectors, All depends on who you know ;) But if you do fail you have no case... as they are illegal

As for do they work.. I don't believe I Think people mainly install them for the bright white light they give off..

• 2 weeks later...
 familyman said:

What if one was to adapt a OEM HID setup to an earlier model?

Hypothetically speaking, bulbs lamps igniters from BE B4 to BC GT?

Could this be done and if so would it be legal as it's a

factory light setup?

its the surrounds that melt.. and the front lense i think dude.. so its a matter of finding away to replace the whole moulding..

petrolheadjman']

why is it illegal? when cars come with them standard?

[quote name='funkytown said:

its the surrounds that melt.. and the front lense i think dude.. so its a matter of finding away to replace the whole moulding..

they have different enclosures to cope with the heat iirc to save the front of your car falling off.

had no issues in the past using them in plastic housings. there illegal because. . .

the light is in a different pattern, that is if you are using a housing for a filament lamp.

HID uses gas and the parts in the lamp that let off light are different, so you can get lots of stray light as the reflectors are not designed for it.

this can cause blinding of oncoming traffic.

though some reflectors do really well, the ones in my commy were amazing, but still not good enough, were as the ones in something else (dont remember) were all over the show.

-smurff

funkytown']

why is it illegal? when cars come with them standard?

[quote name='funkytown said:

/quote]

they have different enclosures to cope with the heat iirc to save the front of your car falling off.

??? Proper HID kits don't produce heat.

I had a HID Kit in my old V6 and the light strayed all over the place, but did'nt seem to blind on coming traffic and still managed to pass wofs.

from the kits on tradme you may not find them in different wattage, you will find normal kits and hi/low kits.

the normal kit will do what you need if you have separate hi beams, just get the right bulb fitment, non of them should blow fuses unless there incorrectly fitted, melting stuff, well, thats a un-known

-smurff

stick to standard. think it is also illegal to have lamps that are to bright, thats why they make driving lights i guess.

-smurff