Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Witness says "take the turbo charged cars away from young drivers"

MercuryFree']

[quote name='subiv5 said:

I think it would be interesting to see if changing some of the police car's to something a little quicker would make any difference to the police pursuit rates. The UK Police seem to think the 'intimidation' factor of having turbo Subaru's and Evo's have worked for them. These can be watched on Police Interceptors program on channel 71 on Sky.

Not saying this is a solution to the problem but if it stops a couple of people making the split second decision to run rather than pull over and stop then surely it would be worth it.

Edit: Not saying that having faster car's will mean they will be pulled over faster but may be intimidated out of running in the first place

/quote]

Highway patrol cars aren't much different speed wise to most boyracer style cars. Easily faster than a few of the more popular models (read: hondas) for example.

What's your professional opinion Jason? :P

Unless it is wet, I have seen quite a few police cars do a bit of drifting on the way to their jobs, 4wd ftw.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

99GTB']

[quote name='jake_the_muss said:

not you, different jason. :P

/quote]

Haha I think you have me confused with gotasuby, and I know which jason he was talking about.

yup you're right. never know which one of you is which on here. :P

99GTB']

[quote name='subiv5 said:

I think it would be interesting to see if changing some of the police car's to something a little quicker would make any difference to the police pursuit rates. The UK Police seem to think the 'intimidation' factor of having turbo Subaru's and Evo's have worked for them. These can be watched on Police Interceptors program on channel 71 on Sky.

Not saying this is a solution to the problem but if it stops a couple of people making the split second decision to run rather than pull over and stop then surely it would be worth it.

Edit: Not saying that having faster car's will mean they will be pulled over faster but may be intimidated out of running in the first place

/quote]

Highway patrol cars aren't much different speed wise to most boyracer style cars. Easily faster than a few of the more popular models (read: hondas) for example.

What's your professional opinion Jason? :P

Unless it is wet, I have seen quite a few police cars do a bit of drifting on the way to their jobs, 4wd ftw.

Yeah didn't really get that point across really well. How fast the patrol car gets to 100km/h isn't the point.

Its the fact that if someone was going to make a run for it they are more likely to stop and pull over if the see an STI with a huge scoop on their ass than if it was the usual v6 commodore.

Also would be interesting to see the number of pursuits per person/population in other countries vs the rate in New Zealand. I don't imagine it would be any higher the US or Europe

Volcanix']

i dont get ftp,(i know what it means but why they putting it on?!)

Because they're criminal scum.

[quote name='JoKer said:

lol yea its not his place to comment here...

Wasn't after a 'comment' more than whether he thinks a highway patrol car is decently capable with keeping up with a subaru (well, slower than his particular one :D), but if he's not comfortable with even that then I can certainly respect that :)

Ok, small town hick here. What is FTP? I got no clue.

And the first thing this country needs to do is get tougher on these people. Not just for chases but get these little pikes to start showing the law, our police, and society in general some bloody respect. Boot camp for all!!! Or bring back the old army cadets in the ciriculum circa 1950's. I like Aussies stance of instant license suspension if you break any law while on restricted and learners.

Or we could go to the root of the problem and give the parents of these degenerates a good kicking.

FTP generally stands for f*ck the police :(

the parents always say its the cops fault there son was driving like a tool, 15billion time over the alcahole limit in a car that was unsafe.

so theres no way it was the parents (sarcasm)

-smurff

Ha! Well said.

From day one, I have instilled on my son the fact that

A: the police are there to help you

B: they are there to keep you safe

C: respect these officers, because they put themselves at risk so you don't have to.

What the hell kind of parenting do these mullets do to produce someone of this ilk? I can't fathom what would make anyone decide that running from old bill is ever going to work out for them. Disrespectful little shit got what he deserved and his whinging parents should not be second guessing police actions, but hanging their head in shame while trying to work out how much they failed that child!!!

It's such a shame that in this day and age this sort of thing keeps happening.

I'm quite disappointed in the fact that people still write FTP on their cars. In my honest opinion, if you write FTP on your vehicle you void yourself from any government protection what so ever. If I was a police officer and I had to attend a accident where both vehicles were DX's with FTP written on them, I would just drive off. Yes, this is immoral, but the fact that some people have absolutely no mind on their own and do not contribute positively to society is retarded. I support police officers, I think they do all they can, but its just this f***ed up generation that has come to age.

Stereotyping from the media also does not help, by blatantly labeling any and and all motor vehicle accidents that have a wrx/s14 ect as "Boy Racers". For example, that guy who killed that child in that s14 a few weeks ago, I know him, he was a prefect at my school when I was yr 13, I know he isn't a boy racer, but because he drove a s14 and crashed going around a corner in the rain by some freak accident does NOT make him a boy racer. His mrs left him and now he is on suicide watch. Instead its just the medias way of further increasing the gap between what is deemed "Boy Racers" and "Citizens".

If I ran this country, I would change so many things. maybe its a good thing I dont. lol

/rant

Allot of people in this thread saying his actions have nothing to do with his turbo. I fully agree with that, he could have done the same in a toyota camry.

BUT

I still think the turbo restriction a good idea, just for other reasons. I hate seeing 16 somethings out there in a WRX, so new at driving, yet entrusted with 200 odd KW. seems naf to me, i think you should have to have a full license for at least one or two years before going to a bigger power figure.

Divine said:

Stereotyping from the media also does not help, by blatantly labeling any and and all motor vehicle accidents that have a wrx/s14 ect as "Boy Racers".

THAT SAID, i did note in this report the boy racer s*** wasn't mentioned, it was all about 'what was that kid doing in a car like that, driving like that'.

Guest loren

Young car thieves should not be allowed to steal turbo cars. Older car thieves in theory can steal turbos, but it

would be appreciated if they didn't drive recklessly while trying to escape from the Police. All teenagers should

be punished. Everybody sucks.

the "FTP" matter.

I find it quite funny that a bunch of my mates and others say "FTP FTP FTP" but then as soon as something happens to them they go running to the police asking for help. They probabaly all say it just because it seems like a "COOL PERSON" thing to do.

Guest SPANKU
 familyman said:

Oh, and as for FTP: seriously, NWA weren't that great.

NWA best band in the world bro! and ofcorse 2LiveCrew

Divine said:

It's such a shame that in this day and age this sort of thing keeps happening.

I'm quite disappointed in the fact that people still write FTP on their cars. In my honest opinion, if you write FTP on your vehicle you void yourself from any government protection what so ever. If I was a police officer and I had to attend a accident where both vehicles were DX's with FTP written on them, I would just drive off. Yes, this is immoral, but the fact that some people have absolutely no mind on their own and do not contribute positively to society is retarded. I support police officers, I think they do all they can, but its just this f***ed up generation that has come to age.

Stereotyping from the media also does not help, by blatantly labeling any and and all motor vehicle accidents that have a wrx/s14 ect as "Boy Racers". For example, that guy who killed that child in that s14 a few weeks ago, I know him, he was a prefect at my school when I was yr 13, I know he isn't a boy racer, but because he drove a s14 and crashed going around a corner in the rain by some freak accident does NOT make him a boy racer. His mrs left him and now he is on suicide watch. Instead its just the medias way of further increasing the gap between what is deemed "Boy Racers" and "Citizens".

If I ran this country, I would change so many things. maybe its a good thing I dont. lol

/rant

Because it had mags mate. Thats why hes labelled a boyracer. Witness states proved he wasnt doing skids etc. Probably too fast for the conditions but. If his missus left him well, hes better off without her, a decent chick would hang around because she cared. If it he wasnt doing anything stupid well, its just a damn horrible accident.