Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Ryco Oil Filters... STAY AWAY

speak to friendly Subaru parts guy

if not I can supply them to you at $20 each (plus freight if needed)

Might be able to do a bulk buy for CS memebers, let me know if anyone keen :)

Guest SPANKU

i knew a guy that fitted a new oil filter without checking if the old rubber seal was still attached to the engine, so he had a double seal and it blew oil everywhere. reason why he could check it because he parked my other mate's car on the kerb to do the oil change.

i often use Ryco oil filters and never once had any problem with it. Used to used the Subaru ones but the price jumped from $6 ( trade ) to $20 since armstronge took over

D-Style said:

Never had a problem with ryco filters. Trucks, cars, boats.

Even in motorsport apps.

I mostly Used Fram, mainly cause I use to get most of my parts from BNT.

The "O.E." Brand is trouble. Have had issues with these.

'some' filters we use at work are O.E, never had an issue in the 2 years ive been here.

pedro said:

does anyone know who manufactures the subaru OEM oil filters?

i wouldnt be surprised if they all came out of the same factory with different paint jobs and stickers to suit the buyers.

yip alot of filters are made by the same people.

it always makes me laugh that some people think they are actually getting a part made by subaru themselves, hence think it should be top quality.

driftrex']

[quote name='pedro said:

i wouldnt be surprised if they all came out of the same factory with different paint jobs and stickers to suit the buyers.

/quote]

it always makes me laugh that some people think they are actually getting a part made by subaru themselves, hence think it should be top quality.

I couldn't give two rats arses about who actually makes my genuine filters gaskets and seals. I just buy genuine. At least i know it's to SOME sort of standard.

ReubenH']

[quote name='pedro said:

/quote]

I couldn't give two rats arses about who actually makes my genuine filters gaskets and seals. I just buy genuine. At least i know it's to SOME sort of standard.

::) as said above every filter is made to a standard.

as proven by this thread most mechanics(apart from the ones at wingers) here use aftermarket filters with no issues.

i cant speak for ryco but i know the ones we use are designed to meet genuine specs.

even car manufacturers dont require their own filters to be used to cover new car warranties, what does that tell you?

driftrex']

[quote name='pedro said:

/quote]

::) as said above every filter is made to a standard.

as proven by this thread most mechanics(apart from the ones at wingers) here use aftermarket filters with no issues.

i cant speak for ryco but i know the ones we use are designed to meet genuine specs.

even car manufacturers dont require their own filters to be used to cover new car warranties, what does that tell you?

The last two engine builds I have done have had fram filters on them, They are shit and have a lack of filtration holes which means they bypass oil way before a Subaru filter would. I have never had a problem with ryco and they seem to be the better aftermarket filter. I use genuine Subaru filters on all my subarus and Mitsubishi's/EVO's.

Every filter IS made to a standard, Subaru also has a standard that is probably in a different league to oil changers :-*

Xhundred oil changes aside, every manufacturing process will have its quality issues.

If the home oil changer *is* unlucky enough to get a bung filter, I bet Subaru is going to be more likely to come to the party than Repco / Supercheap.

Plus - Subaru won't get your part number wrong, and they give you a free sump plug washer (let's see if any mechanics argue they've done Xhundred oil changes without doing those 'without issues')

caged said:

Every filter IS made to a standard, Subaru also has a standard that is probably in a different league to oil changers :-*

i strongly disagree with that last bit im afraid.

i guess there is a difference in buying a aftermarket filter and fitting yourself, and getting one fitted by a workshop, difference is when someone else fits it you have full backing from that business and the supplier if anything goes wrong. totally agree that repco/supercheap may not be bothered doing anything if a problem is encountered.

Ok so got a genuine filter thanks to gotasuby, fitted it and checked just as i did before and it is sweet.. will try post up pics of ryco filter if i can, but the seal is obviously a league above with the genuine under basic visual inspection. Sure, most people will probably never have issues with the ryco filters, but i have, so i am staying away from them. Especially when a clubsub fellow can get genuine filters cheaper than repco/supercheap are selling aftermarket ones!

Basically the black seal on the top of the ryco just didnt stay on when there was any sort of oil pressure going through and it warped out the side, letting all of that magnatec out onto my driveway and the engine bay :(. I was checking for leaks, so i turned the car off pronto.

Car had a repco branded filter on before so probably cheap oil in it too, it came out all gluggy and shit so hope crappy oil from last owner hasnt done anything to the engine. Anyways now it's all rectified and sorted, running significantly better with Magnatec and Subaru Oil Filter.

On a side note, I noticed a light knocking noise as engine was on before all the change and hasnt gone away after the oil change. I will have to inspect it more thoroughly when my girl brings the car over next to hear where it's coming from. I hope its just the waterpump as its getting around k's where it will need a cambelt and waterpump etc, and not a bearing or anything.

Any tips on ruling things out to check what its coming from, so we can assess what we will do? I guess if its a bearing we should probably spend as little on it as possible and sell it on or something