Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Front mount better than top mount?

my intercooler is a ver 7 i think its exactly the same as QRAF's if not bigger. except i didnt use my flange as my solinoid was in the way as mines a v4. i made a flange by hand to suit my factory bov off a ver 6 or something and welded it into the side of the top mount front tank. its been gasket siliconed to join the two and bolted. ill check my throttle body hose its a good possibilty.. also my y pipe as i had to extent it because it was slightly too short. i'll giv u boys photos so u see what i mean

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i dont know if this is gonna be to late but time for my opinion....

Fuji Heavy Industries has spent litterally millions on R&D for subaru performance, and what have they come up with? TMIC!!!

ALL ic and i mean ALL have some kind of lag, some just greater than others but think about it logically and physically......

Air can be compressed to 1/8 its original volume,

A tmic is roughly 2.5 - 3 liters so your turbo needs to spool atleast 6 liters of air before anything happens.

A fmic (and all plumbing) is roughly 12 - 15 litres!!!! now from what ive explained above what do you think is going to happen???

Also another reason why fmic are nonesence, his magesty Ken Block and his loss to a FORD FIESTA at the last X-games, game organisers put a jump in for the first time ever and what do you know, nose down into the landing and BOOM no-more ic like i said he lost to a FEISTA.....

fmic are for wannabe boyracer fags who have no education whatsoever, if your an enthusist like myself then only original is accepted......

think hard, drive fast, survive........

Ok lets assume your turbo is pushing 300CFM which is (from what i understand) about average for ~4000rpm on a EJ20. 300CFM equates to 142 Liters of air per second.

So to fill the extra 12 liters of intercooler will take 0.01seconds.

Then if we consider the surface area and air flow characteristics through a top mount compared to a front mount, all the tests ive read say that the front mount wins easily. You just cant fit a large enough top mounted intercooler into the engine bay of a Subaru to make serious power. Agreed that for most road users, a top mount is fine. But to suggest that they have no place not even in motor racing is rediculous.

Why do Volvo use front mounted intercoolers as standard? Despite the fact that due to turbo placement a top mount would result in a much shorter run.

You also cant use Ken Block as an example. He broke his car. Cars dont work well when broken.

My math could be wrong, or your assumptions could be totally unjustified and for want of a better expression - youre talking out your ass. At least i showed some working.

Subtle RS said:

Fuji Heavy Industries has spent litterally millions on R&D for subaru performance, and what have they come up with? TMIC!!!

ALL ic and i mean ALL have some kind of lag, some just greater than others but think about it logically and physically......

A tmic is roughly 2.5 - 3 liters so your turbo needs to spool atleast 6 liters of air before anything happens.

A fmic (and all plumbing) is roughly 12 - 15 litres!!!! now from what ive explained above what do you think is going to happen???

Also another reason why fmic are nonesence, his magesty Ken Block and his loss to a FORD FIESTA at the last X-games, game organisers put a jump in for the first time ever and what do you know, nose down into the landing and BOOM no-more ic like i said he lost to a FEISTA.....

fmic are for wannabe boyracer fags who have no education whatsoever, if your an enthusist like myself then only original is accepted......

FMIC are nonsense, in every situation?? hahaha hah hahaha If you're such an enthusiast, I hope you haven't modified anything that Subaru R&D decided was the "best" option otherwise your opinion is invalid.

sorry but nah.. TMIC's like WAIC are fail at much more than about 200kw atw.. They just cant cool enough.. ever stopped up on traffic, things got hot? felt like a POS straight after.. TMIC fail.

for the daily its the perfect option.. chasing more kw... they fail

Each has a clear and better designated purpose.

for the record, i added a FMIC and a retune, and i net'd approx 35kw atw..

Subtle RS said:

He lost to a Fiesta that has a front mount intercooler... Which he now drives too... How you land from a jump is more to do with the suspension setup of the car, the weight distribution of the car and how badly you f*ck up the launch. Ken Block is a showboat so of course he crashed, like he does at most events...

Evos dont seem to have any issue with running front mount intercoolers either (Which they came with from the factory), and they seem to win a reasonable amount of events...

Im not an enthusiast, I race a Subaru and I dont have issues with my front mount intercooler. Ive clipped a couple of banks and damaged it to some degree - but the consistency of constant cool air into the engine far outweighs the risk of damaging the intercooler for me.

mine just an aftermarket knock off but its bigger and thinker than factory i actually only wanted a ver7 one but the one i got had just shown up and it looked mean.

You'd be hard pressed to fit anything bigger in there tho, well without putting bonnet pins in or adjusting the engine mounts.

I just went for a bigger TMIC as everyone has a FMIC and the law was getting tougher on them but i still reckon a black fmic looks hot as you don't have all the empty space up the front.

Subtle RS said:

lol, what a load of crap. i guess we should never fit bigger turbos, exhausts, electronic boost controllers for racing either? i mean surely the factory must of put all the best equipment in. ;)

driftrex']

[quote name='Subtle RS said:

/quote]

lol, what a load of crap. i guess we should never fit bigger turbos, exhausts, electronic boost controllers for racing either? i mean surely the factory must of put all the best equipment in. ;)

yeah there not all about saving costs?

keltik said:

You just cant fit a large enough top mounted intercooler into the engine bay of a Subaru to make serious power. Agreed that for most road users, a top mount is fine. But to suggest that they have no place not even in motor racing is rediculous.

You guys realise that Andy Forrest did an 8.9 sec qtr with his manual type r with a custom top mount.

It made about 900hp+

Or is that not serious power ;)

funkytown said:

sorry but nah.. TMIC's like WAIC are fail at much more than about 200kw atw.. They just cant cool enough.. ever stopped up on traffic, things got hot? felt like a POS straight after.. TMIC fail.

for the daily its the perfect option.. chasing more kw... they fail

Each has a clear and better designated purpose.

for the record, i added a FMIC and a retune, and i net'd approx 35kw atw..

The std TMIC is crap - aftermkt TMIC work just fine.

I mean if you put the std tmic and moved it to the front would you get gains. lol

Qwerty']

[quote name='keltik said:

You just cant fit a large enough top mounted intercooler into the engine bay of a Subaru to make serious power. Agreed that for most road users, a top mount is fine. But to suggest that they have no place not even in motor racing is rediculous.

/quote]

You guys realise that Andy Forrest did an 8.9 sec qtr with his manual type r with a custom top mount.

It made about 900hp+

Or is that not serious power ;)

Yeah...but....yeah...but...

He cheats

funkytown']

[quote name='Qwerty said:

I mean if you put the std tmic and moved it to the front would you get gains. lol

/quote]

yer and isnt that the point..

yea exactly, factory top mounts are **** past a certain point. it wont matter where you put it, its still ****.

out of interest, do the ver7 sti topmount fit straight in/on a ver6 sti? mine had a f-mount but now has a normal wrx topmount, wanted to go f-mount 2 fill my bumper but the extra cost a sti topmount compared doesnt do me justice, i just cruze and wont need a fmic

G-unit said:

out of interest, do the ver7 sti topmount fit straight in/on a ver6 sti? mine had a f-mount but now has a normal wrx topmount, wanted to go f-mount 2 fill my bumper but the extra cost a sti topmount compared doesnt do me justice, i just cruze and wont need a fmic

to answer your question no not a straight swap just easier than mine lol.

i just installed and aftermarket top mount on my gc8 sti. but ive seemed to screw my idle up by doing so. its flutters alot and gets very low when warm. can anyone share their no how?. also my car seems to take alot longer to get to 180kph.. is this due to a leak somewhere in my hoses??

simmo said:

i just installed and aftermarket top mount on my gc8 sti. but ive seemed to screw my idle up by doing so. its flutters alot and gets very low when warm. can anyone share their no how?. also my car seems to take alot longer to get to 180kph.. is this due to a leak somewhere in my hoses??

probably. ;) check the hose onto the turbo.. this pinches all the time! (under the bottom where you cant see) or the one onto the trottle body.. also pinches heaps.

Check that you have split one of the hoses.. and also your intake hose.. you may have damaged that on install by accident.

check also you havent split any of the hoses.. and all clamps are done up tight..

saw pauls spec C on the dyno the other week and the factory red y pipe hose off the turbo was totally loose!! lucky save there.

i was told the only way is with checking and then double checking :-\ sorry not much help but that what we had to do.

check all your plugs are plugged into the right place or even plugged in? it happens.

couple questions what year you got? model? what turbo as well? got a boost controller? for the 180kph question