Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Front mount better than top mount?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1997 wrx sti um i think i put the icv back on the same as i took it off. the gasket between that and the intake manifold was kinda dodgey cud that be a leak?

Well it seems ive pressed a few buttons with this one eh?

Maybe some re-edifications are in order;

When i said "only original will do" i dont mean OEM parts i mean the original way things are set up, think about it your bonnet scoop is facing forward for a reason.... if there is not enough airflow fit a larger bonnet scoop like i have.

Also when Ken Block failed the jump at the X-games he took out the intercooler piping that subaru had fit as standard to the front of the new sti hatches, and that my friends is fail.

The proof i have is "word of mouth", how many times has someone come to you saying there fmic setup is naffed because of a split hose or hole somewhere in the system,

now think of how many tmic users have the same problem..... not many eh?

tmic = smaller = less "moving parts" = better... well that is my opinion anyway.

owe no now you've gone an done it ;D ;D

that is your opinion and as i have a bigger tmic i will have to agree

they both have there pluses and minuses, I've given my reason for my purchase and I'm happy with it but i'm not going to try and convert someone who has already got a fmic to go back to a tmic.

Subtle RS said:

Well it seems ive pressed a few buttons with this one eh?

Maybe some re-edifications are in order;

When i said "only original will do" i dont mean OEM parts i mean the original way things are set up, think about it your bonnet scoop is facing forward for a reason.... if there is not enough airflow fit a larger bonnet scoop like i have.

Also when Ken Block failed the jump at the X-games he took out the intercooler piping that subaru had fit as standard to the front of the new sti hatches, and that my friends is fail.

The proof i have is "word of mouth", how many times has someone come to you saying there fmic setup is naffed because of a split hose or hole somewhere in the system,

now think of how many tmic users have the same problem..... not many eh?

tmic = smaller = less "moving parts" = better... well that is my opinion anyway.

I haven't come across anyone with issues like that with their front mounts yet. That also includes the one on my flatmates EVO rally car that has had its fair share of constant hits in the front end. I've seen many people who had boost leak issues they struggled to find cause they were hidden away under the TMIC though.

Also, Prodrive saw fit to remove the intercooler from above the engine ;) I'd bet they were more concerned with the performance than the FHI engineers.

18560_1328466181797_1535234429_828478_95

see that little separator that sticks out? numerous people including myself have had real trouble with the TD05 wastegate jamming open on that piece of metal. nothing a hammer cant fix but its a frustrating/confusing problem

btw i run a v6 tmic and have been quicker (including straight line) than the half dozen fmic imprezas i've been up against on track. this means SFA but its safe to say to benefit from a fmic you need an aftermarket tune.

Guest boostcut

^^^ +1 the only reason id change is because either i had put a larger turbo on and couldnt make the tmic work with new turbo or it flows too little for the new turbo set up...

simmo said:

this is so bizzare!! i noticed in my icv theres a small round plate with filter cud this cause a prob?

whart..? photo please.

here is standard setup (required if you have a AFM)

icvt.jpg

Here is a setup up with just a filter on it sucking air (you can run this if you dont have an AFM (ppl with a LINK ECU))

funkyenginerebuild116.jpg

simmo said:

my boost gauge is also flucturating at 20-15 psi vaccum. i think it used to sit dead at 25psi vac..

its not psi.. but we're picking threads.

it should sit steady at idle never the less, but if its hunting it will likely fluctuate anyway. have you checked for leaks. and provide a pic of your engine bay

• 3 months later...

I was just curious, would a sti intercooler off a version 5 or 6 wrx bolt onto a legacy b4 if you used the b4's pipes that go to the turbo's.

Would you think it would do anything or just something sti to look at under the bonnet ?