Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Turbo Timers...Yes or No?

Garryg

Some people will say yes, some will say no, it's really each to their own. The nay-sayers normally say things like "If it was something the car needed, then it would've come with it". But that's the same with lots of car parts, right? They are also of the mindset that as long as you don't turn the car off straight after driving nuts-out, then you're pretty safe. It also saves gas haha.

I'm of the mind that it does help, so if you want to do it, then there's nothing bad about it.

I've actually found my timer useful for other things too (like leaving it running while you nip into the dairy or something). But generally i follow the rule of drive nice and easy for a good 5 mins after a kane, then shut the car off as per usual when i get home.

Garryg said:

Just wondering what ur thoughts are on having one fitted?

Is there a great benefit....

No

Your car has survived 9 years without one fitted...

Garryg said:

Just wondering what ur thoughts are on having one fitted?

Is there a great benefit....

Putting my Amish hat on, I say the main benefit is that they waste fuel.

I'm still in two minds about this.

I say possible waste of time due to water cooling.

Yet on the other hand, the oil will still need to circulate, blah blah blah.

So I decided, in my case, to keep it as:

a) I hardely ever boost the bloody thing anyway

b) it's only a minute of extra fuel

c) mine has speed cut defencer and boost gauge capabilities.

So after another pointless post by Familyman, I summarize with:

your car, your call.

Guest boostin

If you do fit one, don't have the fucker hidden. If you want to shut it down or there's an emergency, its somewhere between a pain in the ass to downright dangerous.

Guest keltik

Waste of time I'd say. If your turbo didnt have water cooling and you were frequently using full boost to go to the dairy - then yeah sure, why not.

Just another piece of unnecessary tack on a Subaru. Even in the owners manual it says you dont need one as they are designed to cope with that kinda stuff

I put one on my wagon when I got it at 70kms and then the turbo was about poked by 90kms so hmmm I'm not too sure if it helped at all but hey I still use it now but I reckon you dont need any more than 30sec of run down time, any more and your just wasting gas :)

And plus its a giggle when people come running up to you in a shop and say "you've left your lights on" you then say "nah its all good its a subaru they"ll turn themselves off" and then watch them look at you strangely and cary on ;D gets me every time lol