Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

New speed cameras-K Band?

I have heard rumours that the new speed cameras being deployed are on K Band.

These are in Wellington first any local members confirm/deny?

The radar site for NZ says K band too.

Personally i havent been paying attention to K band for ages, Ka is my drug of choice lol.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely keen for a bit more info on that. Had a look on the radar direct website, the news about the new camera's is up, but no mention of different bands.

All i pay attention to are Ka and Laser alerts.

Generally Ka is your patrol cars and i think some speed cameras.

K and X band are older model speed cams, and generally you just pick up interference from doors etc in built up areas.

However, on the open road i pay attention to any beep.

Have a look at this it might help: http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/geoffm/radar/Radarfaq.htm

Guest Bjcnz

Yeah as far as I know only Ka bands and Laser is used, as K and X are old school and get too much interference to make them reliable choices for the police, so I only scan for Ka Laser, and Pop (Same as Ka, but short bursts of it to try and catch people who have radar detectors, luckily mine picks it up :-D)

Guest Builda

The new digital speed cameras are running on a very low power k band. My detector does not give enough notice to slow much before being snapped.(Not that I have hehehe) Also means with k band enabled you get heaps of alerts in built up area.

I got whacked by a K band on the motorway just North of Welly (but was around 100kph anyway). It set the radar off at full power (from short distance) instantly, no early warning at all. I didn't even see the cop, think I'd just passed him hiding at the side of the motorway.

wildturkey said:

yep the new cams in vans don't seem to set my V1 off. I think I will need to enable K band.

Yes I noticed no warning to the vans lately. Must remember to activate k band again and get really p*ssed off bay all the K band beeps. Damn!

wildturkey said:

yep the new cams in vans don't seem to set my V1 off. I think I will need to enable K band.

They use POP Radar - from memory I think it is on K & Ka bands...

Might need some digging...

Aha, some info:

http://www.valentine1.com/Moreinfo/pdf/POP_pg26.pdf

POP Mode

How the POP Mode Works

The POP Mode is a feature of certain radars made by

MPH Industries. Its only purpose is to defeat radar detectors.

It works by transmitting radar in a short burst — only 67

milliseconds (that’s 0.067 seconds).

What you should know about POP Mode

It is inaccurate. In order to outfox detectors, MPH Industries

has pushed the technology outside the accepted principles

of engineering. And the company admits as much when its

Operation and Service Manual advises users as follows:

“A note of caution: Information derived during the

POP burst is non-evidential…Citations should not be

issued based solely on information derived from the

POP burst.”

Nonetheless, POP Mode is a reality and it will be used at

the discretion of individual enforcers.

popo gota dark green or blue new legacy wag down here (dunedin)...got rolled in my mates paddock hack (early 80's 2 door stalet, can painted 3 or 4 colors...dints everywhere no plates) a month or so ago...no tickets, young copper who couldnt stop laughing about the fact that i was driving it. GC copper for a change!

I think they had their K-bands out in the hutt tonight - a mate said his picked it up just as he passed it... mine went mad as we were passing the new dowse interchange just before the petone turnoff. Those new neon overhead traffic signs are also annoying as they set the radars off too.

• General Member
 RSB']

[quote name='Disruptz said:

Popo are getting sneaky too, saw them patrolling in a focus in htwon.

/quote]

Apparantly an FPV and Lexus in the manawatu/rangeitiki districs, too.

Yes to the FPV, saw it nail a guy just out of bulls the other day. I think there may be two as i saw a black one and a mate said he saw another color, he reckoned green but hes color blind so I dont know how he came to that conlusion.

There is also a brand new 2008 Holden, unm not sure what there called but the upmarket looking commodore, Executive is it?. Its a Red color, doesnt look factory and its not on factory rims. It was quite a headturner and it really got my head turning when I saw it doing a traffic stop as I came back into town yesterday.

That particular car is often parked up at the bulls weigh station. I assumed it was a privatly owned car but apparently not.

And the Bel STI is the way to go, cant go past it IMO, great radars.

Johnnynz said:

There is also a brand new 2008 Holden, unm not sure what there called but the upmarket looking commodore, Executive is it?. Its a Red color, doesnt look factory and its not on factory rims. It was quite a headturner and it really got my head turning when I saw it doing a traffic stop as I came back into town yesterday.

theres a nice green one of them down here in CHCH too. has a radar and everything. Full kit, alloys, etc.

i went past a speed cam van the other day (over Sumner way, green van), and my beltronics didnt go off at all. the camera didnt look like the normal one, so i assume the van was kitted with the new camera. And either the camera wasnt active at the time, or my detector cant pick up on it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bjcnz

I'm running the Beltronics STI and only have Ka Laser and Pop enabled, seems to be working fine to me, picking up all vans I've driven by, are you sure they're running K band? K band is old technology and generally seen as unreliable