• Raised $0.00

A little bit more power???

Garryg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garryg said:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Gauges/auction-316466893.htm

Will this be ok for installing in my car?

Im going to ask a stupid question now!!!!! How do I monitor the boost pressure in both turbos, does the reading come off the same vaccuum line?

Cheers

yea that will monitor the boost nicely.

it will be wired to the intake manifold and u can see the first and the the second turbo come in as the boost rises and falls etc.

if u didnt want the noise then a de-cat down pipe does a whole lot of difference. my cousin de-catted his TT and immediately it got faster and retained the stock muffler for the lower sound. even with the restriction, it was noticebly faster

Garryg said:

How do I monitor the boost pressure in both turbos, does the reading come off the same vaccuum line?

Cheers

What either turbo is doing is totally irrelevant to you. As Qwerty said, the manifold pressure is the important one you want to keep a track of.

You also want to run a boost gauge with the car stock for a while too, so you get to know what boost the car makes normally. Then when you chuck some mods in, you can tell if you've changed how it's boosting.

I'm a firm believer of covering the basics first, eg a really good service. And for the cost well if you do things yourself its not too bad and should ideally be done anyways, good clean oils, clean filters (fuel/air) new plugs, upper engine cleaner and make sure it has'nt got any ecu codes floating around plus running 98 too. Jeez even making sure your tyres are at the right pressure can make a difference. Then maybe look into an exhaust upgrade of some sort, there's plenty of 2nd hand stuff on trademe that pops up from time to time.

RPS exhausts do from the Y pipe back plus the rear muffler for around $450 so that might be an option for you also, I'll be getting one of those kits pretty soon mainly for noise but can let you know if it has much of change on performance. I just dont think people should be playing around with boost ect on TT's, there's just sooo much that can go wrong lol, my original worn out primary turbo thats sitting at the dump somewhere now will agree with me :P

Cheers All...

Certainly some differing thoughts! I think I'll get a guage fitted anyway.....just so I know what the current boost is and I will see where we go from there, before I look at fitting boost taps! Once I have this fitted I'll let you know what psi it's running as standard!!

I certainly don't want to be doing things to stuff it up.....

I'll certainly go for the exhaust....I don't want a loud drone all the time, so can anyone let me know what system would be best, just to give a little more sound...probably just the rear muffler would suit??

I might just stick with some body mods at the moment....wheels, lowering and front lip spoiler (if I can find one)...

Personally id just do a 2.5" cat back, unrestrict the standard air intake and maybe an electronic boost controller with like a couple of PSi increase.

As Hailz said it appears to be either ""balls to the wall, or nothing at all" when it comes to modifying twin turbos.

How about you send it down to Gazzy2000 for a single turbo conversion with VF22?

Price for this job Gaz? lol

Garryg said:

Cheers All...

Certainly some differing thoughts! I think I'll get a guage fitted anyway.....just so I know what the current boost is and I will see where we go from there, before I look at fitting boost taps! Once I have this fitted I'll let you know what psi it's running as standard!!

I certainly don't want to be doing things to stuff it up.....

I'll certainly go for the exhaust....I don't want a loud drone all the time, so can anyone let me know what system would be best, just to give a little more sound...probably just the rear muffler would suit??

I might just stick with some body mods at the moment....wheels, lowering and front lip spoiler (if I can find one)...

For what you want from the exhaust just get a bolt on diff back muffler, that'd do the trick, its what my legacy's got now and at 100km's you cant even hear it but at idle and around town its got the "bob bob bob bob" suby sound so if you go down that route it should'nt be too droany - depending on what brand you get, its something I'd reccomend anyways, keep your eye for 2nd hand ones on trademe :)

For what you want from the exhaust just get a bolt on diff back muffler, that'd do the trick, its what my legacy's got now and at 100km's you cant even hear it but at idle and around town its got the "bob bob bob bob" suby sound so if you go down that route it should'nt be too droany - depending on what brand you get, its something I'd reccomend anyways, keep your eye for 2nd hand ones on trademe :)

What make have you got on yours? Might just be exactly what I want...

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
 Qwerty said:

Two ultra cheap mods

Mod the std intake - its better than earlier subs but you can still improve it. Cost $0 - 20

If you have a boost gauge.

Lenghten the hose going to the wastegate - add maybe 1 meters of hose. This will bring the boost on quicker so car will feel faster. cost $0 -$20

Got a boost gauge fitted Saturday (Thanks)...Primary peaks at about 6-7psi ,Secondary about 11psi...

Surely the turbos can cope with a little more than that? Think a boost tap will go on!!!

Also, could someone post a pic for the hose to the wastegate Qwerty mentioned?

Cheers

funkytown said:

will be in limp mode, check cells and report back.

Not necessarily, mine in limp mode barely made boost (when it was twin). and had the same problem as above but running fine.

But yes clear the ecu just to be sure, when it has no luck :P try:

Pull the waste gate hose off, block the hose off and go for a drive, watch the boost gauge and if it starts getting to high get off the throttle. just to see if it can.

Waste gate hose is located on the passenger side turbo actuator, which is the thing with the hose on in this pic:

3_turbo_400l.jpg&t=1

the boost seems fine.. thats what my cousin is getting on his b4 8/13 although he has a big bore muffler and mid section..

yea bro, best do the downpipes and mid sectioon first before raising the boost thru the taps

although in the short term as a quick fix, the tap should give a few more pounds and then can do downpipe later since tap wud be a cheaper step up ;)

pappu said:

the boost seems fine.. thats what my cousin is getting on his b4 8/13 although he has a big bore muffler and mid section..

Na don't think so, thought its meant to be 10-12 then 16ish. Just seems to be a common issue

pl0x']

[quote name='funkytown said:

/quote]

Not necessarily, mine in limp mode barely made boost (when it was twin). and had the same problem as above but running fine.

Pull the waste gate hose off, block the hose off and go for a drive, watch the boost gauge and if it starts getting to high get off the throttle. just to see if it can.

Waste gate hose is located on the passenger side turbo actuator, which is the thing with the hose on in this pic:

3_turbo_400l.jpg&t=1

How do you clear the ECU?

pl0x']

[quote name='pappu said:

/quote]

Na don't think so, thought its meant to be 10-12 then 16ish. Just seems to be a common issue

hmmm i always thought his one was running pretty good for that value .. could be a model as his is a 99 b4...

anyway, to reset ecu there is a thread here on the topic - u have to do it by plugging in the green connectors under the dash and stuff..

or meet up one day and will use the diagnostic tool to reset the ecu for u bro

pappu']

[quote name='pappu said:

/quote]

hmmm i always thought his one was running pretty good for that value .. could be a model as his is a 99 b4...

anyway, to reset ecu there is a thread here on the topic - u have to do it by plugging in the green connectors under the dash and stuff..

or meet up one day and will use the diagnostic tool to reset the ecu for u bro

Cheers Pappu...

Will give you a shout soon!

Garry

pl0x']

/quote]

3_turbo_400l.jpg&t=1

Should I extend the wastegate hose before I reset the ECU? or will this not make much difference??

Cheers

NOS. Best bang for your buck mod known to man. Oh and have you tried the accelerator? You know it goes all the way to floor right?

loren said:

NOS. Best bang for your buck mod known to man. Oh and have you tried the accelerator? You know it goes all the way to floor right?

Ha Ha.... Although in saying that, last night was probably the first time I have had it flat out!! Even with this boost it was good....looking forward to the change!

Any idea of the internal diameter of this pipe? I'll pick some up on my way home? I take it this just joins at both ends with a hose clip?

Cheers

pl0x']

/quote]

3_turbo_400l.jpg&t=1

Any chance someone can post a picture of this pipe in the engine bay? I'll be able to change it no problem...but don't want to make any F##k ups and change the wrong one!

How much extra length should I add?

Cheers

lengthning the boost hose is also asking for boost spikes bro.. with the increased length u get boost spikes as the ecu has a delayed response on the controller.... unless u have the time to do the increase in length fem cm at a time and check spikes etc.. altho spikes are really not good for the engine ay!

if u want to increase boost possibly better to put a controller on it as it will be a safer way of getting to the boost figure u want and also have a more crisp boost response as opposed to the lengthned hose...