• Raised $0.00

Appreciating Japanese performance cars

ODB

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit that must have been along time ago. ;D

In my opinion Type r's and BC5s will be the ones to have. BC5s are already pretty hard to find one thats any good and as metioned above type rs are quickly being written off the road or ruined by boy racers. Even since ive had mine ive heard of two or three that have gone out in parts. Ive spent a bit of time around wreckers since ive had my car ::) and they are all saying getting parts for them is getting real hard. But i think thats the same of v5 and v6 stis anyway.

mattapo said:

the BFMR has been mentined, but what about the JDM TX3 turbo, there were only 900 odd made. Wish i knew that when i had mine, had so much fun in that car.

900? :o :o :o

so the one parked down my drive is worth a fair bit? :o :o :o

boostcut said:

im going to go as far to say, anything fitted with a 4age is a performance car.

Damn straight .

My first car was a 82 DX on 13x7 superlights and eagers with full AE86 running gear and lots of aftermarket goodies.

Wish id never sold it now , sold it as I wanted a newer car , got a 1800cc NA BC5 :(

Guest boostcut

you should have seen my $500 20v trueno going today at the autocross, i think i got the award for most revs,

i was basically on the limiter in 2nd and kicking the clutch if it dropped below 7k in 3rd i now have a fucked lsd and the car was a heap of shit to drive afterwards, but i still got home.

new box and suspension soon i think.

fuck i love 4age engines

ha mean.

my best mate imported a supercharged levin from japan.

Came with a front kit that scraped everything and all braced up and had a pulley kit.

went pretty hard for a 1600 i thought then.

like 15 years ago it was farken mean

Flat4 said:

Don't think anyone has mentioned the 240z yet.. one of the best looking cars to come out of Japan IMO

19849d82f6ecc6ed.jpg

the super rare 432 240z is fn cool, 4 valves, 3 carbs and 2 cams, also the hakosuka GT-R is awesome. one of my favs is the AE82 FXGT, revvy tvis 4age, efi, 5 speeds and a simple lightweight car. had one when i was 18, did 180k's and the engine sounds great with a open intake and exhaust

ODB said:

considering the 4age needs a bit of a squeeze......cant seen the big 1UZFE fitting!

I suppose where there is a will there is a way

I was working at a local workshop about a year ago and some dude was squeezing a 1UZFE into a Startlet as a side project. It did sit where the dashboard used to and required a whole new firewall, but it was bolted into the car last time I saw it. Dr Freeth's Starlet with a 350 Chev? (widebodied) was in Motorsport Solutions Workshop at Ruapuna last time I was out there aswell. Now that was a cool Starlet!

Personally I prefer the Hyabusa powered ones though.

MKIII Supra are getting up there in price, especially the JZA70 with the 1JZ-GTE.

aim said:

Hayabusa powered little cars are always impressive to watch. Smart cars, starlets, old civics, all good, all fun :D

A guy on Toyspeed is building (and nearly completed) a Toyota MRS with a turbo charged busa engine. Fiber glass body http://forums.toyspeed.org.nz/viewtopic.php?t=65275

Some interesting cars here but almost none of them can really be said to be appreciating if we use a strict definition of the word, ie. the car is now worth more than when it was new.

The old Prince Skylines are still retro-cool.

There was one on TM a while ago for $40k

I guess my idea when i started the thread was cars that are worth more than when you bought them.

I suppose none of them are (yet) worth more than when brand new, but as a general rule most of the cars mentioned on here are definately going up in value each year.

Same cant be said for any WRXs yet!