Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V4 Sti Newbee

dotdog

WRXONP said:

does 6 speed make a mean difference to turbo spool ? lol

shorter ratios make quicker boost spool - thats what i have gathered from how boost is affected by gearing

also:

have compared vf22 spool between 6 and 5 speeds and 6 felt quicker

someone may back this up with some maths :)

(unless it was just my deluded butt sensors liking the 6 better lol)

to the DCCD question - no idea bro - maybe test it on another dccd car and see what is different - go to a car dealers and try lol if u dont have anyone near u who got it

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a very straight foward swap, just nuts and bolts really. Iv not long finished putting everything mechanical (motor, 6mt box, diff, front and rear hubs with brembos etc) from a 02 wrx sti into a 91 rs legacy and it was easy az, didnt have to modify a single thing except piece together a driveshaft. even wiring the factory v7 ecu in wasnt too hard.

vr4ex said:

Its a very straight foward swap, just nuts and bolts really. Iv not long finished putting everything mechanical (motor, 6mt box, diff, front and rear hubs with brembos etc) from a 02 wrx sti into a 91 rs legacy and it was easy az, didnt have to modify a single thing except piece together a driveshaft. even wiring the factory v7 ecu in wasnt too hard.

Wow thaw some real talent there

I remember it cost 1.5k just to get a mates wiring sorted to put v7 to b4

Wouldnt say talent, more patience and a bit of clever thinking plus a whole lot of time. once the loom was stripped and wraped back up it took a day to feed it thru and connect it to the legacy loom, and on first turn of the key it went. :)

dotdog said:

Hi All, Ive just purchaced a mint V4 sti coupe, I just a have few basic questions, sorta just after a yes or no answer then ill search for the how to...Can I put the brembo four pots on the v4?

Is it worth putting the vf22 off the v7 onto the v4 (currently has a vf23 fitted)?

The rear brembo fit as well.

If yoou have a v4 coupe it will have a vf24 as std

pappu said:

shorter ratios make quicker boost spool - thats what i have gathered from how boost is affected by gearing

also:

Shorter ratios don't make boost spool quicker its the opposite. Try logging when you get full boost in first gear.

Shorter ratios do make the car accelerate faster and keep the engine in the power band.

The type R 5 speed box has very similar ratios to the 6 speed sti box ( 1 thru 5) - the 6 speed weighs about 35kg more.

Lol I'm not fully aware of the maths that go with all that but sure as hell the 6spd box makes u go quicker compared to a Wrx 5 speed

Both with vf22

Hmmm tbh I have never logged boost in 1 and 2 gears

Only 3rd and up

Somthin to try sometime I guess

Qwerty']

[quote name='pappu said:

also:

/quote]

Shorter ratios don't make boost spool quicker its the opposite. Try logging when you get full boost in first gear.

Shorter ratios do make the car accelerate faster and keep the engine in the power band.

The type R 5 speed box has very similar ratios to the 6 speed sti box ( 1 thru 5) - the 6 speed weighs about 35kg more.

pappu']

Lol I'm not fully aware of the maths that go with all that but sure as hell the 6spd box makes u go quicker compared to a Wrx 5 speed

Both with vf22

Hmmm tbh I have never logged boost in 1 and 2 gears

Only 3rd and up

Somthin to try sometime I guess

[quote name='pappu said:

also:

/quote]

less loading on the engine with the shorter ratios, and it ramps faster through the revs means it cant spool as fast.

its down to the short ratio that makes it feel faster.

so a question

does short ratios make it faster?? or does it make it "feel" faster??

will longer ratios on the dyno make more power from having more load or less power??

just simple ?s dont wanna start an arguement

yes they make it faster - which is why subaru went to the bother of making a shorter box for RA and R GC8's

Top speed is less however.

If you don't make full set boost on the dyno because of a lack of load then yes. If your boost is set to 20psi and make that target then power will be the same.

Qwerty said:

yes they make it faster - which is why subaru went to the bother of making a shorter box for RA and R GC8's

Top speed is less however.

If you don't make full set boost on the dyno because of a lack of load then yes. If your boost is set to 20psi and make that target then power will be the same.

till 2001 then came the 6mt which had near identical ratios to the v2 sti RA (one of the shortest boxes afaik), but still the same top end as the long 5mts. Goes with out saying they are also a lot stronger.

Got all the V7 strip and thats gone to the dump, only bits im going to need is the 6 speed shifter, as my one was toast, any ideas on how the 5 speed shift can be used? or not at all?

Also I have found the v4 does have a vf24 on it, what are these like compaired to the vf22?

The dccd issue was just a faultly switch

dotdog said:
I had upgraded the v7 turbo to the vf22, are there any difference between the vf23 and 22?

i still dont know why you would have changed the vf 30 to a 22. not an upgrade in my books at all.

the 22 will have more up top but it will have a higher boost threshold so its your own personal preference really.

funkytown']

[quote name='dotdog said:

I had upgraded the v7 turbo to the vf22, are there any difference between the vf23 and 22?/quote]

i still dont know why you would have changed the vf 30 to a 22. not an upgrade in my books at all.

the 22 will have more up top but it will have a higher boost threshold so its your own personal preference really.

The VF30 felt very flat above 7k, even showed on the dyno, where the vf22 even tho it had more lag felt much much better between 7k and 8k. Guess its what ya like aye

Do you use 7k+ revs driving down to the shop to buy milk? Or do you track/ drag the car? My ideal upgrade from 24 given the car spends 90% of it's time on the street would be 34. Given a big pile of cash I might spring for 36 + AVCS heads + Link. But like dotdog says, it's what you like.

i changed from vf30 to vf22 on my car - v7sti

all things remain the same (before ad after swap)

upon boost logging on the ecu the difference in getting 18psi is abt under 100rpm at worst!

feels about the same to me tho as decided by the butt-o-meter

also my brother has a vf30 in his v7sti and mine is vf22 and using same ecu settings - both feel abt the same (similar mods on both) - before the vf22 swap when we both had vf30 comparison - again was abt the same for both cars

but yea i changed cos my vf30 blew its seals and the vf22 was availble at the time and nothing else was on the market in price range

in net difference - nothing that would tell/feel too different

maybe on the stock ecu it would feel different but i keep on tweaking mine so even with the 30 the car felt more responsive in the low rpm (the stock ecu has a bloody torque hole below 3krpm - v7 owners will know what i mean lol)

but yea some tweaking and even below 3 it feels wayy better compared to stock

anyway, bah to having the smaller 24 even for street use as the 22 is not too far off and the main point of having a turbo car is that occaional rush of boost and for sure everytime the 22 will deliver a bigger smile

(street car anyway)

IMO its well worth the few slight lag rpm for that better rush when u want to have a bit of fun..

but then again everyone is different so no answer is the right answer - just consider what u need out of the car and then do that path ay bro

funkytown said:

comes back to peak torque and area under the curve vs a nano second of peak xxx kw at way to many rpm

fully agree on that with u bro...

hahah so many times i hear ppl say they boost 21psi or whatever and i think - a momentry peak does not mean thats what u really have to make ur power..

lol.. i was the same once before in a time when the world was younger 8)

but learning the right way to boost thanks to the many jedi masters on here :)