Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V4 Sti Newbee

dotdog

Hi All, Ive just purchaced a mint V4 sti coupe, I just a have few basic questions, sorta just after a yes or no answer then ill search for the how to...

I had a V7 STi RA that suffered some damage in my large shed fire so I have this for donor parts, what I was wondering is

Can I put the 6 speed box in the v4?

Can I put the brembo four pots on the v4?

Is it worth putting the vf22 off the v7 onto the v4 (currently has a vf23 fitted)?

Will the trust exhaust fit the v4 off the v7?

Also the thing has DCCD, but when i move the wheel to lock the little light just goes all the way back to the fully open state (not to the lock state), is this normal?

Thanks

Michael

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. yes but tricky I heard refer to funkytown as he has this done

2.yes but make sure you have rims that fit over i presume your V7 rims if they are not damaged

3.As far as I'm aware V7 come with vf30's which are not ball bearing but can maybe make more power than the existing turbo you have

4.No it will need to be modified dump pipe more so than the rest

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Yes to all the questions

There is some debate over the vf22/23 but with the 6 speed the 22 will have no issues comming on boost - go for it

All th best with the swap over

U will like lots

U also planning to put the v7 intercooler on the 4

Cos u can use the master cylinder reservoir from the 7 to replace the 4 and get the needed clearence

Ps if the v7 exhausting stock then no point but if its bigger then ya pretty much strait fit with no mods needed

Didnt even think bout using the v7 intercooler, the master cyclinder on the v7 is toast so if I want to use the intercooler ill have to find another one of those?

I had upgraded the v7 turbo to the vf22, are there any difference between the vf23 and 22?

The seats look like every other v4, black with grey inserts and sti stiched in red.

The exhaust on my v7 is a full trust exhaust with trust down pipe, v4 exhaust is stock.

Has anyone done the 6 speed swap, cant seem to find anything on it??

Your v4 is going to be a beast lol! And vf23 spools up faster than 22 but it can't hold as much boost and power maxes out around 220-240kw but the vf22 is a bit more laggyer but it can hold alot more boost And power than the 23. Everyone thinks 23 is better for street use but if you want alot of power go 22 with decent tune

lol vf23 can hold the same boost as 22 can..mine has no trouble holding 20 psi till redline...

but on both turbos anything over 20 is just doing nothing

vf22 and 23 have the same exhaust housing but 22 has a larger intake housing and compressor wheel has different blades etc...

WRXONP said:

lol vf23 can hold the same boost as 22 can..mine has no trouble holding 20 psi till redline...

vf22 and 23 have the same exhaust housing but 22 has a larger intake housing and compressor wheel has different blades etc...

Just a random Q. would it be better to have a smaller hot side than a bigger?? That would give you quicker response on the boost wouldn't it??

???

dotdog said:

Didnt even think bout using the v7 intercooler, the master cyclinder on the v7 is toast so if I want to use the intercooler ill have to find another one of those?

I had upgraded the v7 turbo to the vf22, are there any difference between the vf23 and 22?

The seats look like every other v4, black with grey inserts and sti stiched in red.

The exhaust on my v7 is a full trust exhaust with trust down pipe, v4 exhaust is stock.

Has anyone done the 6 speed swap, cant seem to find anything on it??

As was mentioned funky has done it :) look at his build thread

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,7512.0.html

PLRH8D']

Just a random Q. would it be better to have a smaller hot side than a bigger?? That would give you quicker response on the boost wouldn't it??

???

correct !!! the smaller the exhaust housing the less lag in general...there is alot of other things to consider though

[quote name='xFluent said:

Yea 23 less lag lol but a 23 ant hold as much power as a 22 from what I've been told lol and for more power you need more boost!? :P lol jokes I'm a amatuer go of what other people tell me ahhaha

not nesseceraly... you dont allways need more boost to make more power... you need the turbo to flow more CFM...and a VFxx at anything over 20psi just becomes a hair dryer...creates way too much heat and no more power and just will make your engine more prone to detonation...

a vf22 at 18psi will make more CFM (air) than a vf23 at 18psi...but the power curve will come on later....

If u do decide to sell bs intercooler on the v7 let me know ya

And ya the exhaust will be q strait fit

Go with the 22 lol more power possibility on it think it's more future proof in case u Wana get bit more outa ur setup

And with the 6 speed in here it will not have much difference to a 23 due to the shorter ratios

Since u have the v7 basically everything from driveline needs to swap over

The rear hubs and breaks be a good idea as u can put the brembos all around

The drive shafts from 7 also needs to run over

GC8E2DD']

[quote name='dotdog said:

I had upgraded the v7 turbo to the vf22, are there any difference between the vf23 and 22?/quote]

Have you sold the 34?

It never had a 34 on it, was only a 30.

So basicly for the 6speed swap i need to swap over all the drive shafts, hubs, rear diff. What about the rear sub frame and front lower control arms?

Anyone have any idea about the DCCD issue that I wrote about in my frist post?

johnny5 said:

1. yes but tricky I heard refer to funkytown as he has this done

2.yes but make sure you have rims that fit over i presume your V7 rims if they are not damaged

3.As far as I'm aware V7 come with vf30's which are not ball bearing but can maybe make more power than the existing turbo you have

4.No it will need to be modified dump pipe more so than the rest

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

1 - not tricky its a straight bolt over

2 - agree

3 - yes factory vf 30 - way better than the 23

4 - the down pipe should still bolt up fine afaik - they are altered from gc to gd for the steering knuckle but go from GD -> GC fine.

other stuff

the brembos too will bolt straight to your hubs as you will have r180 - just make sure you put the rotors and pads on as well.

everything will bollt straight across and well worth doing so. you dont need to change hubs or axles but you will need the rear diff to match the 6mt. you need the 6mt gearbox subframe but its still bolts up. swapping the rear subframe is a good idea - although only for the move in mount point for the lower arms - the mounts will be the same stiff type.

i dunno about your dccd issue - id put it in the v4 and on full lock do some tight turns - you' figure out what the go is real fast. P.s only put the box it - the dccd bits in your v4 should remain as it is and just hook the gb harness on to your dccd loom harness. (on the box itself)

Thanks everyone, great to know what im trying todo is not impossible.

With the dccd the indicator goes all the way to the one before lock, and that deff is tighting up the center diff(cant even back on a slight turn with it in this state) but when i move the wheel to lock the indicator goes back to open and the diff deff opens back up.

I take it this is not normal?