Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V4 Sti Newbee

dotdog

funkytown said:

and until you back it up with real world verifiable truth you go on to the 'talking a load of BS' list.

bro dont be a dik I just told you its helped me in the past in other words ive learned alot off the net from trial an error and I agree that 25psi can be done but will be pushing your luck for at least a week.

PS. sorry about the language man but sometimes your comments can piss me off man like really arrogant ae.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

il just post up my PM to him instead.

Im not arrogant - my patience just wears thin when the same point goes on and on.

Its not just you - its a common problem faced on clubsub (and the internet). "We" have the habit of just taking stuff on the internet as the truth when its fact its misquoted not backed up.

Myself and other members are trying to get the point across and endear a culture in the club where we post stuff that IS the truth. That is we can verify it, and have real world results to back it up.

Your point thus far do not stand up anywhere as real world truth - Id rather you not kill your motor but seems the only way i can prove this to you is to egg you on to wind it up and kill car.

I do agree that you can make a vf22 hit 25psi physically.. there is no logical reason you would want to.

But I stand by my point that an sti motor let alone a wrx motor or vf22 can not COPE with 25psi - it will explode if run anything like that for a VERY short period.

I can verify for you that a VF turbo makes less power at 25psi than it does at 19psi. I HAVE tested that personally on my own car. So thats point 1. There is no sensible reason to run 25psi if you though there were power gains to be had - there are not.

Point 2 - Your motor will assplode - why it will assplode. The reason its making so much less power at 25psi is because the turbo is out of its efficiency range - (Look at the IHI produced flow maps to verify that.) What is happening is the air intake temps will be through the roof and turbo cars hate hot intake temps - fact. Becuase the intake temps are so hot your engine will be trying to retard the timing and a factory ecu can only do that so much before it starts det'ing its arse off.

One of three things result:

Becuase of the DET you do a BEB - motor assplodes and ruins your shortblock, possibly crank and you'll want new rods.

Because of such high pressure you do a HG and your bores warp - if your lucky the internals wont let go against the bore

Because of the high pressure you snap a rod - factory rods dont take 25psi.. ever. Worst case the rod or piston is evacuated through the block northward ruining your shortblock and reciprocating parts - if your particulary unlucky it will also impact your heads wreaking the whole motor.

Have a think about my points above and let me know what you think.

For what its worth i have a Garrett gt3071r on my motor now - and it too doesn't like much more than about 25psi. it starts heating up and losing power quickly in that area.

Cheers

Jon

Turbo Compressor maps people.... would have eased this argument straight away, cause they are real world results made by the manufacturers for their products.

Laz put a top mount in your fozz then put dry ice on top, run 25 psi no sweat at least till the dry ice evaporates

http://www.njsr.org/pics/albums/userpics/10619/BRL3911%20-%20compressor%20map.jpg

yea not for the turbo in question cause i cant be arsed trawling the net for it but this will help you to define when a turbo runs out of puff and just starts becoming a hairdryer, compressor surge etc etc

If you were going to swap a ver 7 ecu u may as well swap for the engine that goes with it...

I'd say the apexi pfc would be good for upto 300kw on a version 4 coupe ;)