Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

3g8SSuw.jpg

What is this here actually doing? '98 RS Legacy on the drivers side. Seems to make the primary keep running or at least reduce VOD but will it wear anything other than the primary turbo out quicker? Also code 66 that seems unrelated to this hose, are there any vac hoses that are more likely to gunk up than others that I should check first?

Skatieguy said:
So just sticking it back on doesn't stop the CEL coming up somewhat randomly, would an ECU reset fix it if this is actually causing my CEL?

There might be other hoses swapped as well, you will need to check them all. You will have CEL fault code 65-differential pressure sensor, or 66-sequential turbo system.

Vac hose diagrams:

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?35720-B4-Vacuum-diagram

Pic's of IACV and the other Twin Turbo/Changeover parts in here:

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?40911-Inside-the-BBOD

Edit: Connect that hose back up and go for a drive, see how it changes.

I connected it back up on the drive home, certainly fairly lack-luster compared to it blocked off, CEL still came on, will go through them all tomorrow when I can actually see.

EDIT: Also this is a BD5C will the vac hoses be set up the same?

Edited by Skatieguy

evljat said:
Do bh5 and be5 have the same length mid pipe?

Or could someone with a be5 exhaust handy measure the length from the dump pipe collected flange to the rear muffler flange in a straight line.

Same length.

PS: are you buying that straight through midpipe on TM? Had the same on mine - sounded like crap, got sick of it and sold.

PPS: any exhaust shop can do the same thing to your stock pipe - paid something like $50-60 to get it done neatly.

Edited by sobanoodle

Yep, that's the one. Is it just a factory pipe with the reso/cat removed? I don't think my factory one is 3 inch.

Here's what my car sounds like now

How would sound in comparison to that? More raspy?

Thanks for your help and I apologise for the barrage of questions!

okay this one really is a dumb question, I am up to "4, remove the little breathers from the top of al the solenoids ( 4 of them) . **circled yellow in pics...**"

DSC01203-1.jpg

How do I actually do that without breaking them? Seem a bit flimsy for me to just randomly try getting them off, hoping for the best.

evowrx said:
Yep wag/sed same just V1/2 is diff to V3-6 but easy to see the difference.

It's defiantly a facelift bonnet I'm sure about that. Must be the arms as when bolted up the bonnet sits way to far toward the windshield in turn making the bonnet loop not line up with the catch.

Skatieguy said:
I connected it back up on the drive home, certainly fairly lack-luster compared to it blocked off, CEL still came on, will go through them all tomorrow when I can actually see.

Give me a yell sometime if you want - I'm in papamoa and I can give it a once over if you're coming over the hill. Someones played silly buggers

Hoses on a BD are slightly different to on a BE but nothing major

Skatieguy said:

Or I can just post twice and not find a delete button

Edited by Marky
If in doubt double click

Marky said:
Give me a yell sometime if you want - I'm in papamoa and I can give it a once over if you're coming over the hill. Someones played silly buggers

Hoses on a BD are slightly different to on a BE but nothing major

Thanks mate, did find that hose 1 had come off so will be cabletie that if i get cel again and the hose is off once more.

sobanoodle said:
Someone 's trying to convince me, that all EJ208 B4/GTB's came with a varex type mufflers as a standard - is it correct? (apparently, that's according to factory service manuals)

don't the twin turbo's go from unequal length to equal length exhaust pulses when coming onto the secondary turbo? Certainly would explain a noise change when that occurs.

sobanoodle said:
Someone 's trying to convince me, that all EJ208 B4/GTB's came with a varex type mufflers as a standard - is it correct? (apparently, that's according to factory service manuals)

Yep, the standard muffler has a butterfly valve sort of thing.

Take a look inside the flap on the passenger side in the trunk.

• Guest locked this topic