Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

WARNING! SLOW DOWN, This can happen to anyone.

RAYDEO

• Admin

Friday lunch time, driving Whare flat road no faster than 60kph, in an 80kph zone.

came off a left hand bend, hit a rise and failed to take the next right hand bend, up the bank, collecting a power pole. and ending up on the roof.

226013_10150160272453495_698413494_68061

222528_10150160272568495_698413494_68062

227330_10150160272648495_698413494_68062

217382_10150160272778495_698413494_68062

228647_10150160272858495_698413494_68062

Totally my fault, I'm not blaming it on the car or the conditions, and having driven the road countless times, you'd think i would have known that corner was comming. but no.

Luckily my self and my girlfriend were the only ones in the car and we both escaped totally unharmed through the front passenger window which broke on impact.

all other doors opened easily, i only found this out after i crawled through broken glass to get out...

however, this is not ment to be a joke thread, or a woh is me.

but more a warning thread,

THIS CAN HAPPEN TO ANY ONE.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ODB said:

glad you are ok.

Were you not paying attention? The way i see it if you were this should not have happened.

what the hell i dont think he wants to here comments like that.

glad to see your ok and same with your gf. to me that roads looks prty dangerous just looking at it.what charged are u up against?recklis drving?

luckly it was the sti man.hope everything is sweet and hope you dont have any more comments like this

Im not having a go.

Just trying to understand how you can have a crash on an open road without either:

a)excessive speed

b)driver inattention/distraction

c)bad weather/conditions.

d)car being unsafe.

doesnt appear to be a) or c). Unsure of d).

lol it could be anything.!!!!! there are roads aroung that are dry as but slipry as hell at the same time.looks to me like he lost controll of the car due to the conditions.that road looks prty slipry to me

• Admin

I believe the reason we crashed is due to me being use to a stiff as f*** STI and grippy tyres,

as we came over the rise in the road the whole car lifted and the steering became sloppy, then as a try'd to correct it the weight came back down and we locked up, by then we had two wheels on the gravel and we were stuffed.

nothing to do with driver in attention, and I should have taken more care knowing the vehicle was not an STI, and had nana spec suspention and tyres.

In the past i have been through here at 100kph (not 100 on the corners obviously), back when that was the speed limit, in both my GTB and my STI, and no issues, but this corner has claimed many peoples vehicles, ranging from motorbikes to landcruisers, and a few of my friends cars too.

but still knowing all this it didnt occur to me to slow down.

above is the result.

at the scene the officer said "IF" he charges me it will be with "failing to stay in my lane" which is different to "failing to keep left"

but I could be donw with any number of things.

we have 6 witnesses + my girlfriend that all agree I was not speeding, and there were many faster people on the same corner that morning.

the road its self is verry shaded much of the day so could have been slippery. but many things came together to cause this accident.

at the end of the day, this is the exact reason I have always had insurence, and i can only thank my licky stars we both walked away safely...

a very big wake up call.

RAYDEO said:

I should have taken more care knowing the vehicle was not an STI, and had nana spec suspention and tyres.

Not driving to the specific vehicle in question on your part then.

Driving two very different vehicles daily you need to be aware of limitations of them both in different circumstances.

Put this down to experience and be glad you both were unhurt!

• Admin
 ODB']

[quote name='RAYDEO said:

I should have taken more care knowing the vehicle was not an STI, and had nana spec suspention and tyres.

/quote]

Not driving to the specific vehicle in question on your part then.

Driving two very different vehicles daily you need to be aware of limitations of them both in different circumstances.

Put this down to experience and be glad you both were unhurt!

my thoughts exactly.

I have to say that as I pretty much have the same car as you (also as a race car), this will make me pay attention too, it's made me realise that skills learnd on the track does not make you immune to losing control of a car on a public road.

Especially as my daily driver is a crappy 1 l auto starlet.

Good to see your ok though pretty lucky I think and lucky it was only you too in the car if it was me I would have a baby in the back.

• Admin
 TURTLE said:

Drive to the conditions when they change reduce your speed.

Isn't this the road you people are regularly talking about going for a hoon on? What was your Purpose on there this day?

Lucky your ok.

no, youre thinking of Highcliff road,

although this road leads to another road regularly used for hill climbs and the rally of otago.

RAYDEO said:

also Whare Flat road, where i learnt to drive. ;D

Its a stage of the Rally Of Otago and a CS Dunedin regular back in the day.

Taken from "best driving roads in NZ" Thread.

Also there are some videos from Back in the day... though they did seem fairly innocent.

From what i can gather this would be similar to Moonshine or Blue Mountains in WGTN.

Not really. Though I am always suspicious when accidents happen on these types of roads. Fast or slow it serves as a good warning to always be alert and vigilante on the road.

But I'd be balls to the wall, lifting is for pussies style ......... Not

• Admin

The only video I know Of from "back in the day" was one filmed from my Gtb and sped up with a dance song over it. If were being pedantic the road I crashed on was silver stream valley road, which becomes Whare flat road at the point where it turns to gravel.

AND for whoever it was asking my purpose on the road at the time. i was on my way out to visit my best mate, and my old scouts, who were having a camp about a kilometer further down the road. and showing my gf (whos never been to otago) some local sights.

TURTLE said:

Not really. Though I am always suspicious when accidents happen on these types of roads. Fast or slow it serves as a good warning to always be alert and vigilante on the road.

But I'd be balls to the wall, lifting is for pussies style ......... Not

+1 on having more vigilantes on the roads... ;)