• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Rota Wheels are coming!!!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries!

Assuming your car is the Gc8 in the photos, we have an 18x8.5 +44 that will sit JUST out of the guards for a little bit of poke, or if you want we have an 18x9.5 +38 which also fits Gc8's with a bit of work (as seen on the previous page)

You can get hold of us on:

0800 ROTA4U

[email protected]

or

www.rotawheels.co.nz :)

Kind regards

Hi

I am definitley getting the rota grids in 18X 9.5 jj (bronze) when my engine rebuild is done probably around 3 months time.

I am driving a gc8 and I am hoping the grids will stick out past the guards a fair amount, as I have already priced up body modification to make them fit but I have no idea how much they wil protrude past the bodywork. Bit of a longshot but any ideas how much they will protrude?

Actually I quite like the rota dpt too in bronze any idea if they will clear factory caliper on 330 mm disks? most Don't at 17 inch?

Sorry in advance - just skimmed the post but would you have anything in the 5x100 16inch x 7 or 8 width for a forester?

I quite like a few styles on the site but really unsure of the offset to dish effect

(even with the use of the calculator on the site)

Mind you, there isn't much demand for going smaller or retaining the same Oem size wheel with just a wider rim

ballsrburning said:

Hi

I am definitley getting the rota grids in 18X 9.5 jj (bronze) when my engine rebuild is done probably around 3 months time.

I am driving a gc8 and I am hoping the grids will stick out past the guards a fair amount, as I have already priced up body modification to make them fit but I have no idea how much they wil protrude past the bodywork. Bit of a longshot but any ideas how much they will protrude?

Actually I quite like the rota dpt too in bronze any idea if they will clear factory caliper on 330 mm disks? most Don't at 17 inch?

Hey mate, as per the previous page, there are a couple of images with the 18x9.5 +38 Grids fitted to a Gc8. At a rough guess I would imagine 5-10mm max, hard to tell as I don't know exactly how many degrees of camber our customer is running when he took these photos. There are no spacers and it cleared his strut and brakes no problem.

Unsure on the DPT's, I would need to measure. Sorry I haven't been of much help, please let me know if you require any additional information :) Kind regards

reaperblitz said:

Sorry in advance - just skimmed the post but would you have anything in the 5x100 16inch x 7 or 8 width for a forester?

I quite like a few styles on the site but really unsure of the offset to dish effect

(even with the use of the calculator on the site)

Mind you, there isn't much demand for going smaller or retaining the same Oem size wheel with just a wider rim

Nothing in 16" with those widths. We have a 17x8 in the DPT on the way (this weekend), also a 17x8 Grid due to land in 8 weeks.

Generally, the lower the offset, the more dish or concave the wheels will have. Each wheel will be different, the offset calculator is there to show people how far in our out the wheels will sit to calculate fitment etc. Kind regards :)

• 2 weeks later...
 ballsrburning said:

Hi

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp here you go, get a ruler out with your current rims on the car

v7 sti rims a 17x7.5 +53

ballsrburning said:

how long will the 100 dollar off offer last? bloody engine rebuild i really want these now, interested in the 18X9.5 gold rota grids.

imo a 17*9 is going to give your a fek load less issues. but each to their own. 17*9 will still look boss as.

its what i'd get even with my big fat gaurds.

funkytown']

[quote name='ballsrburning said:

how long will the 100 dollar off offer last? bloody engine rebuild i really want these now, interested in the 18X9.5 gold rota grids.

/quote]

imo a 17*9 is going to give your a fek load less issues. but each to their own. 17*9 will still look boss as.

its what i'd get even with my big fat gaurds.

Hey with standard set up I would agree but i have tried a handful of 17's on the car and they don't work. The 330 mm disk and the relocated caliper rub on every one i tried, the only ones I know would work, i don't like.

There are no 17" rota grid in 5x100 anymore if there were they would be my first ones i would try. I know the 18's will stick out and i need body work but I have included this in the costs of buying them.

are there other problems 18" may cause that I am missing?

you can run up to a 343mm disc on a 1inch rim. I personally run 330mm brembos on 17's. the 343mm discs go with APs. Both ive seen in real life working.

what relocated caliper are you talking about?

I have three sets of 17's that work, Tony and others all have them working as well.

I'm sure there are 17's in 5*100.. least i hope there is :(

with respect to 18's causing issues, they do fit ok but its all about the offset and width. at 9.5 wide they are miles to wide to fit practically in GC gaurds imo.

I've stretched all my gaurds right out so i can practically fit 9" wide. And i've chosen 17's so that i can fit resonable sized rubber on, that is up to around 245/255 wide. Thats as apposed to going something 9.5 wide or crazy like that and running crazy 215/225 stretched rubber on that will give you NO grip at all. obviously at 9.5 they poke so bad you need tiny rubber to fit back up inside the gaurds.

* i base all this on you having a race car right. if your hella flush doing drivebys in town every friday night 18*9.5 will get you all the bitches ;D

on standard gaurds 9" will also be to wide, you' want max of 17*8 if you can get them, they fit in the gaurds and clear big brakes. oh fatty gaurds 9" might work.

Then you have to work out what sizes are available for rubber right, second hand slicks are easy to find to fit a 17*8 rim, harder and more $$ for 9" and wider.

Ballsrburning: Where exactly are your disks and calipers rubbing on the rim (inner rim or spoke)? It seems a bit strange as 330mm discs have decent enough clearance inside most 17" rims. My 330mm discs have a heap of clearance and I am currently running 343mm discs and big 6 pot calipers and they still fit fine in all 3 sets of my 17s.

Only reason I could think of is the wheels you have been trying may have a big step down on the inner rim near the spokes or something?

Only other issue with 18s is the price of 18" semi slicks/race tyres! (that is if you were planning on using the 18s for your race wheels) especially with a 9.5" wide rim you would ideally want a decent sized tyre - 245-255 or similar?

edit: Jon pretty much said it all - I got interupted when I was typing lol!

funkytown said:

you can run up to a 343mm disc on a 1inch rim. I personally run 330mm brembos on 17's. the 343mm discs go with APs. Both ive seen in real life working.

what relocated caliper are you talking about?

I have three sets of 17's that work, Tony and others all have them working as well.

I'm sure there are 17's in 5*100.. least i hope there is :(

with respect to 18's causing issues, they do fit ok but its all about the offset and width. at 9.5 wide they are miles to wide to fit practically in GC gaurds imo.

I've stretched all my gaurds right out so i can practically fit 9" wide. And i've chosen 17's so that i can fit resonable sized rubber on, that is up to around 245/255 wide. Thats as apposed to going something 9.5 wide or crazy like that and running crazy 215/225 stretched rubber on that will give you NO grip at all. obviously at 9.5 they poke so bad you need tiny rubber to fit back up inside the gaurds.

* i base all this on you having a race car right. if your hella flush doing drivebys in town every friday night 18*9.5 will get you all the bitches ;D

on standard gaurds 9" will also be to wide, you' want max of 17*8 if you can get them, they fit in the gaurds and clear big brakes. oh fatty gaurds 9" might work.

Then you have to work out what sizes are available for rubber right, second hand slicks are easy to find to fit a 17*8 rim, harder and more $$ for 9" and wider.

The caliper is standard 4 pot mounted on custom bracket. The caliper hit the spokes of the alloys I tried. I was looking for a wheel with some dish and rota grids are perfect for what i want but I am not after the hellaflush look. I am happy to buy the appropriate size semis when i get the rims and have the body done. i am definitley not going for the stretched tyre look and yes this is for a dedicated race car.

As an example on my car the dtm gt 099 did not clear my break set up. I have had alloys with no dish clear fine but thats not what i want.

I am not talking about rolling/flaring the guards to make the 18's fit, i have had a quote from a bodyshop to fabricate new guards to make them fit matching them to the wheel after i bought them. The issue of clearing the inside of the guards I haven't considered but will discuss this when i get around to buying the rims.

I will try the rota grids in 17 if they are available but everyone is telling me they no longer make them in 17's 5x100 pcb and i don't liek the rota dpt's. Maybe I will go for the 18x8.5jj but i will wait and see, I know my supporter paul (PS Automotive) doesn't want me to put the 9.5jj on the car.

just so you know, redoing gaurds is hellishly expensive regardles of what option you take...

Tony and i both use a 17*8 and 17*8.5 rims and they clear both the wider Brembos and AP's. mine are in the range of +48 to +40 no issues.

Either the offset will be to high or rims you have to narrow i think. for what you wanting to do - 18*9.5 is a crazy solution IMO. You havent even cosidered what the offset is going to do to your suspension geometry and turning.