Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Twin to Single

Lionbrown0

I've literally done/helped with about 4 or 5 single conversions

It's damn easy

It's worth every cent

Only real difference between BD/BG and BE/BH is BG=V3/4, BH=V5/6, and the addition of the fuel pump controller in the BE/BH, you need to run an extra wire from the ECU direct to the fuel pump relay, and you need to bridge the controller, which can be found in the boot.

The single conversion thread can be found here:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,74.0.html

I've done it to mine,

I say if your engine is running and boosting correctly then leave it, any code 66 errors or turbos blown (or any work which requires turbos/inter cooler out) then conversion on

I did mine, took it a bit futher with bigger injectors link ecu and other stuff, still found it to tame, At the end of it all the bh/e are blody heavy to start with. It was an awesome open road car. TBH i dont know if i would convert a bh/e again. mmmm actually i would cause twin sux arse.

Lionbrown0 said:

Hey just wondering if anyone recently has converted there rsk from twin to single and reckons its worth it?

Tossing up whether or not I should

The common thread seems to be that the BHs are too heavy and with too tall gearing to make it worthwhile.

Agree with pl0x if it is not fecked then leave as is.

gazzy2000 said:

i'd never buy a twin turbo ever again, if i did.. it wud have a blown engine already and i wud convert it

1+ from my experiene with them twin turbos are crap.my mum owned a twin turbo legacy when i was younger,was always in the shop!

even had both tubros replaced by winger under warrenty.

ithought the twin turbo design was 'improved' now?

take this for example

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/legacy/auction-378906402.htm im sure the twnturbo setup in this would work quite well wouldnt you agree?

sti8u']

[quote name='gazzy2000 said:

i'd never buy a twin turbo ever again, if i did.. it wud have a blown engine already and i wud convert it

/quote]

1+ from my experiene with them twin turbos are crap.my mum owned a twin turbo legacy when i was younger,was always in the shop!

even had both tubros replaced by winger under warrenty.

ithought the twin turbo design was 'improved' now?

take this for example

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/legacy/auction-378906402.htm im sure the twnturbo setup in this would work quite well wouldnt you agree?

Not every TT is a lemon, some work no problems and go hard for years.

Yes it did get improved, in rev D's and no doubt the sti tuned legacys like above. How much improvement is debatable

Depends what your use is.

My parents have a GTB wagon and its great on the open road and comfy inside (full leather). Has had no issues apart from maintenance.

Behaves perfectly well on a day to day basis when getting shopping/ walking dogs etc.

Its not as quick as my wrx was but id own it in a heartbeat.

for me personally.. i have always loved the agreesive pull of a single turbo STI/WRX and when i got my BH i was like "this is ghey!".. only coz i was comparing it to an STI.

If i knew no different i guess i wud have been happy... ish, as long as i got a good run out of it.

But i mean really, all you have to do is jump in one thats been converted and you will be like "dam.. give me some of that sh1t", unless you like underwelming cars.

ODB said:

but if you had converted one chances are you already owned an STi and still would be like....this is underwhelming?

LOL

BGs are very comparable to STIs, they are the are light (lighter than the BHs) and have the same gearing as STI, easy to get a nice agreesive pull with these.. def not underwhelming!

BHs, although are far nicer as a single T than a TT, are still "underwhelming"

but yea.. if you want an STI and all the performance that goes with them BUY AN STI, its that easy.

I like the practicality and anonymity that goes with wagons

gazzy2000']

[quote name='ODB said:

but if you had converted one chances are you already owned an STi and still would be like....this is underwhelming?

LOL

/quote]

I like the practicality and anonymity that goes with wagons

Bang on!!!

You know, If i had a BH5D or S401, it'd def stay twin turbo, subaru got it pretty much spot on by then. Even the BE/BH5 a/b/c's are pretty good. It's the BG's that have the BURN IT IN A FIRE twin turbo system.

You still can't have as much fun with a BH5A twin turbo as you can with a single turbo though, if you push them, the cracks in the system start to appear. But around town they are perfectly agreeable. It all depends what you want from your car. Do you go out on the weekends and enjoy your favourite twisty road with it, or do you just tootle between the lights in town, you know?

ODB said:

The newest gen Legacy wagons are getting down in price now though.

So personally if i was in the market for a turbo subaru wagon id get one of those any day of the week!

while i agree with the gist of the comments preceeding this, have you actually driven one of the Twinscroll gen 4s? while the are quick'ish.. they feel very very linear.

funkytown']

[quote name='ODB said:

So personally if i was in the market for a turbo subaru wagon id get one of those any day of the week!

/quote]

while i agree with the gist of the comments preceeding this, have you actually driven one of the Twinscroll gen 4s? while the are quick'ish.. they feel very very linear.

yea, god bless the GC and GF era i say! ... & the way they interchange with the legacys :D

funkytown']

[quote name='ODB said:

/quote]

Yes i was looking at buying one but mrs wouldnt buy it (the idea).

I thought it felt like nothing that a little modding wouldnt cure??

ODB said:

With a lot more issues?

not issues. just teething problems which get sorted easy as! and the whole compression thing with the bh's.

if bg then hell yea . compared to twin mines a rocket ship and can keep up with the best of them.

i would never go back to twin now ..... only for a big parallel set up , but the last one i saw wasn't all that impressive going.

Regarding the BH compression issues. Did anyone find out if they can run on a WRX or Foz ECU?

For the BH5A and B's btw, the EJ206 CR is 9:1, and the EJ208 CR is 8.5:1, or so says the japanese manuals.

BH5C EJ208 btw is 9:1 also, I found out they got the Rev-D longblocks. OR rather, the Rev-D has the Rev-C longblock.

ReubenH said:

Regarding the BH compression issues. Did anyone find out if they can run on a WRX or Foz ECU?

yea man, i am running a stock WRX ECU (sold the link plugin to recoup costs.. once i found out what WRX ECU i cud use), details in my TT to ST wiring doco :)

had no issues with it at all, boosts at 12PSI & does 500KM on a tank of 98 round town (missus driving)

BH5 TT to ST thread with link to my doco http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,21250.0.html