Which is the real Spec C ?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ClubSub Mum said:

ok dumb "Mum" question here lol

Our sti has brembos - is thats cos its a v10 2.5?????

nothing dumb bout it. NZ new V10s onwards comes with 2.5L apposed to 2.0L JDMs. Japanese stick to the 2.0L for tax or some other reasons they have in Japan that would class it under small engined cars whereas we don't have that sorta law here in NZ.

Brembos comes standard on STis' form V8 onwards -all STis, from base model to top of hte shelf Spec C RA-R-. Also standard on V7 non DCCD ones, the DCCD V7s (some Spec C) comes with the old subaru 4/2 pot combo

Yes, sultan has a point of Spec C being a downgrade, as 2.5 has more potential but Spec C intended for ppl who wants an of the shelf race prepped STi not your usual daily driver (not that you cant use it as a daily) but all in all the little tweaks here and there make the Spec C and upgrade for what its made for over the normal lazy STi

B4 2000']

[quote name='ClubSub Mum said:

ok dumb "Mum" question here lol

Our sti has brembos - is thats cos its a v10 2.5?????

/quote]

nothing dumb bout it. NZ new V10s onwards comes with 2.5L apposed to 2.0L JDMs. Japanese stick to the 2.0L for tax or some other reasons they have in Japan that would class it under small engined cars whereas we don't have that sorta law here in NZ.

Brembos comes standard on STis' form V8 onwards -all STis, from base model to top of hte shelf Spec C RA-R-. Also standard on V7 non DCCD ones, the DCCD V7s (some Spec C) comes with the old subaru 4/2 pot combo

RA-R came with 6pot fronts (There was blue RA-R for sale on trademe about a month ago..anyone see it?)

Dont get confused with the Aussie (ADM) STi's. They had Brembos as an option.

D-Style said:

RA-R came with 6pot fronts (There was blue RA-R for sale on trademe about a month ago..anyone see it?)

Yes, i stand corrected. i forget that the RA-R comes with 6 pistons front but still brembos, my bad :-X

B4 2000']

[quote name='D-Style said:

Dont get confused with the Aussie (ADM) STi's. They had Brembos as an option.

/quote]

Yes, i stand corrected. i forget that the RA-R comes with 6 pistons front, my bad :-X

They are still brembos ;)

sultan said:

bulls***. it's pure marketing. slap on a couple of bolt on parts, give it a special moniker and make it a limited production run, and people will drool and pay what ever for it.

stock for stock the spec c might be better than the 2.5 sti according to blkpanther, but who cares. it's the potential that matters. if the 2.0 is faster than the 2.5 it will be limiting factors in the 2.5 turbo or computer. set it on a level playing field and the 2.5 will . it's easier to change turbo or computer than it is to change an entire engine.

Wrong on every count.

It's not potential that counts but execution.

The 2.5L engine is export only and tuned to meet EU/AU/US emissions requirements etc.

It is severely compromised compared to a JDM 2.0L.

It is the JDM 2.0 that is "be s*** loads more fun".

Easier and higher revving, more torque/character.

By every performance measure the 2.0 is the superior engine.

sultan said:

stock for stock the spec c might be better than the 2.5 sti according to blkpanther, but who cares.

I only just noticed you mentioned me in that post, and that actually isn't what i said at all, i just said that bigger isn't always better and i'd prefer a 2.0 over a 2.5L. But then i don't mind you thinking that i said that, because it's true, and not just according to me. Ask anybody that knows about Subarus if the 2.0 spec C is better than the 2.5 standard STI in terms of performance, and you'll get the same answer.

those spec c's ra-r are rare as shit.only 300 ever made and sold out within 2months.they base that car on a actaull street/race car.

easly driven on the street ,also easly driven down to the track and back!nice!

newsuba']

[quote name='sultan said:

bulls***. it's pure marketing. slap on a couple of bolt on parts, give it a special moniker and make it a limited production run, and people will drool and pay what ever for it.

stock for stock the spec c might be better than the 2.5 sti according to blkpanther, but who cares. it's the potential that matters. if the 2.0 is faster than the 2.5 it will be limiting factors in the 2.5 turbo or computer. set it on a level playing field and the 2.5 will . it's easier to change turbo or computer than it is to change an entire engine.

/quote]

Wrong on every count.

It's not potential that counts but execution.

The 2.5L engine is export only and tuned to meet EU/AU/US emissions requirements etc.

It is severely compromised compared to a JDM 2.0L.

It is the JDM 2.0 that is "be s*** loads more fun".

Easier and higher revving, more torque/character.

By every performance measure the 2.0 is the superior engine.

Totally agree with you there. Would take the 2ltr over the 2.5. Not to say there is anything wrong with the 2.5 its just that the 2ltr is a more focused engine

what makes you chose a 2l over 2.L

only reason i asked cause a 2.5 should also be alot better than a 2L

use a rb for example.they have rb20det and rb25det

rb20dets are good motors but become laggy when big turbos are added,and easly get maxed out.

rb25det.bulletproof!flows a hell of alot better.cabale of big power.can flow bigg turbos.

to me the 2.5 is the winner.

i used that as in example.

1) people buying $70,000 cars probably don't commonly mod the crap out of them like owners of 15 year old 5k cars do so stock comparison is the only comparison of virtue. Throw enough money at Joker's Avenger and it'd make all of our cars look stupid - pointless argument? 2) some people like smaller higher revving engines. 3) There are a lot of classes for 2l turbo (3.4l) vehicles in motorsport - I don't see many for 2.5l turbo (4.25l) vehicles ...

sti8u said:

what makes you chose a 2l over 2.L

only reason i asked cause a 2.5 should also be alot better than a 2L

use a rb for example.they have rb20det and rb25det

rb20dets are good motors but become laggy when big turbos are added,and easly get maxed out.

rb25det.bulletproof!flows a hell of alot better.cabale of big power.can flow bigg turbos.

to me the 2.5 is the winner.

i used that as in example.

Why would ou even compare a Nissan straight 6 to an H4 motor.

Anyone with half a brain, and could spend a little time reading actual facts before spitting dribble would know Subaru only went down the 2.5 route to meet emission standards in international markets.

While incresased displacement does have its advantages, the 2.5 is still just a supporting act to the EJ20t.

And you can harp on about potential all day, but unless you are talking power figures well north of 300kw@wheels, your arguement stands on shakey ground.

Or just do as I did and buy a rotary....

I'm hoping for 320+KW ATW and there are no rods to come out like in the old RS!

Bwahahahhahahaa.....

But I agree. 2L over 2.5 anyday... So much more R & D than the 2.5.

newsuba said:

Who said Brembos are optional in Oz ?

No, they are standard on STI's.

There are alot of STi's here (v7-v10) with standard 4pots. Some of the new WRX (non-STi) only have 2pots fronts.

Not sure on how many JDM versions make it over here, theres only a few ive seen driving around the town i live that are JDM models.

Davebro said:

Or just do as I did and buy a rotary....

I'm hoping for 320+KW ATW and there are no rods to come out like in the old RS!

Bwahahahhahahaa.....

But I agree. 2L over 2.5 anyday... So much more R & D than the 2.5.

I believe I also read an article a while back where STM was testing the evo 10 and the V11 sti I may be wrong but they commented on the fact that the evo 10 engine was more reliable in stock internal form at higher power levels than the 2.5 sti engine, they however also mentioned that this was not the case with the 2ltr sti versions. Prahaps just something to consider

newsuba said:

The cars without Brembos would be JDM motorsport imports.

All GR WRX's went back to 2-pot fronts, part of the reason why they are so crap.

Your stating things you know NOTHING about

I too questioned this but,I asked my FHI engineer friend about these 2pot calipers (refered to as fist type caliper)

Brake performance data he produced showed that the 2 pots stopped a GR wrx faster than 4 pots did ! - one off stop

And they are obviously cheaper to produce

However continual braking the 4 pots are better (but only slightly over the 2 pots)

And for whats its worth 2.0 for me any day over 2.5

Reasons witheld for opion on this , as this thread has already gone pear shaped

Ichi Ban said:

I too questioned this but,I asked my FHI engineer friend about these 2pot calipers (refered to as fist type caliper)

Brake performance data he produced showed that the 2 pots stopped a GR wrx faster than 4 pots did ! - one off stop

However continual braking the 4 pots are better (but only slightly over the 2 pots)

does that mean there's no real need to go form the normal 2 pots (294mm) to 4 pots (294mm) as there won't be much gain?

P.S car is 2000 B4 (one heavy beast)

im asking as im considering goin to 4 pots as everyone saying they perform better -more stopping power-

B4 2000']

[quote name='Ichi Ban said:

/quote]

does that mean there's no real need to go form the normal 2 pots (294mm) to 4 pots (294mm) as there won't be much gain?

P.S car is 2000 B4 (one heavy beast)

im asking as im considering goin to 4 pots as everyone saying they perform better -more stopping power-

+1 im doing the same for my version 6 RA, is it not worth the trouble?

Ichi Ban']

[quote name='newsuba said:

The cars without Brembos would be JDM motorsport imports.

All GR WRX's went back to 2-pot fronts, part of the reason why they are so crap.

/quote]

C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!