Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Any one wanna play name my legacy?

so i have been on the forums for a little bit an as some might know I purchased a 91 GT (supposedly)

After starting to work on it an repairing various things I have found 2 things I think are odd.

1. My GT warped a rotor an when i went to replace it found that I had to buy RS 266mm rear rotor. When i replaced the fronts had the same thing.

2. My GTs compression ratio is 8.0:1 now I could be wrong but I thought that it was supposed to be 8.5:1

Now I know it hasn't had a new motor as the highly dangerous to the ozone layer coolant from the 80s is still in my A/C system.

LET THE GAME COMMENCE WHOCAN NAME THAT LEGACY

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i will post rego as those details max win number but vin is plate shows incorrect engine even color is wrong but vinz is showing correct engine etc otherwise i would have figured it out my self.

when i brought the car i paid for car jam report it all looked good online an have had WOF but vin number is for starters for a BF3 but at VINZ end the say a BF3 is 2L turbo 4wd

prepare to be confused

R555S is the plate number

I'm partial to BIG CHRIS

yeah checked on GL its ment to say gt they also spelt legacy wrong aswell but vin originates from an 1800 ej18 but as you said rego too 2L an VINZ confirm Turbo aswell all details on their end clear as day but vin number when decoded says 1800

I'm cool with all this but i want to know is it GT or RS it has RS front and rear brakes and 8.0:1 compression manual an has 240k speedo no ABS an its pre facelift also has Sports Steering Button it runs 14psi without problems can run into 16psi before cut but i doubt it would last long hence set at 14 has silver colored water intercooler an got well but it seems when i buy parts they are EX RS was the weird thing

To be perfectly honest mate it sounds like it is a "Bitza" Car.

The only way to find out what has been put into it is to identify each and every part yourself.

I very much doubt anyone on here can tell you for sure what is what on this car.

And most RS Or Gt's should be able to run 14psi.

Mine runs 16 psi on all standard internals and grey injectors.

Good luck with this car dude... Sounds like it's gonna be a mission when it comes to buying replacement parts.

ok well that still says nothing for brakes or compression what's the compression on an RS vs GT an has any one got 266mm vented rear rotors on their GT i was told they were solid rotor not vented surely some one has a GT Bf5 they can check an surelysome one has done acompression test on a BC5 RS any one?

Ashranold said:

ok well that still says nothing for brakes or compression what's the compression on an RS vs GT an has any one got 266mm vented rear rotors on their GT i was told they were solid rotor not vented surely some one has a GT Bf5 they can check an surelysome one has done acompression test on a BC5 RS any one?

Ok then here's some help

Look up the manuals mate....

Yup as mike said its a bitsa

If it does not have BF5/BC5 on the model plate(depending on if it is a wagon or sedan) then really it is neither GT nor RS....

Also if it is a wagon then it never is nor was an RS as that was a sedan only designation.

My old GT factory 5 speed was as u described but had ABS,i ran it at 15 psi from when i got it at 60,000 km till it done a BEB at 295,000 km,was quick and i drove it so :)

so without being rude you guys don't have a clue regarding the actual physical differences between 2 models of car other than the badge LOL LOL oh my god an i was asking you for help

tell me then what's the difference between an 555 WRX an the same year WRX

let me guess the VIN tag an badges

if you can't tell me what the actual specs of an RS why bother buying one!!

what if you change calipers an rotors to a 4 pots etc could you not know by measurements

the phrase JUST CAUSE U OWN A FERRARI, DON'T MEAN YOU CAN DRIVE ONE comes to mind

and as for read a book i have read lots question is have you by you? answer guess not!

ANY ONE WITH TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE START ANSWERS NOW!!!!

we will start simple

1. A GT has vented brakes on rear Y/N

2. The compression of a GT is?

3. The compression of a RS is?

any one?

Firstly the answers you got is the only answers u will get,this car has been changed from how it came from the factory,SOOOOOO who would really know what is what and which is which and what has been changed from and what hasnt.... maybe you should investigate further yourself, if the answers we are giving are not the ones you want to hear.

here are the answers to your questions

yes

and in these earlier models the compression is the same between RS and GT

The difference between the 2 models really depends on if it an auto and a manual

the auto ran lesser KW via ECU difference and a smaller turbo

ditto.

i think you are taking conflicting information from non-subaru spare parts manuals, which can incorrectly differentiate between models. ADM Liberty specs will also confuse things.

1) GT and RS both have the same brake package. 277mm front 2pot sliding vented. rear 170mm 1pot sliding vented.

2) 8.5

3) 8.5 GT and RS share the same engine. as DRFVDR said, its the tune and turbo that differs.

4) your car can't be a RS anyway. all wagons are GT. auto sedan is GT. manual sedan is RS.

you keep talking about the VIN numbers being weird. how a vehicle is documented when it arrives off the boat means jack. look at the physical model plate, and the stamped chassis number on the firewall, behind the turbo. post all the numbers up, or take a photo.

and i hope you have a nap before replying. kthxbai.

And as for the guys who have answered your questions not knowing anything :)

Let me start with Madmike he races and works on a RS, he also owns I believe 3 others including a SVX, a 3 litre Legacy wagon and a WRX....

Kamineko has more information available to him than any one should :)

And now me

I have owned and worked on Subarus for over 20 years,either I have or one of my sons have owned pretty much every hi preformance engine in a Subaru that Subaru have ever built,starting with a EA81 twin carby engined Leone RX coupe this is the model of car that Possum Bourne started his passion with Subaru as a Rally Car,then a '90 Legacy GT wagon,this was a factory 5 speed and is probably the same as what yours is, but legit as all numbers matched,I now own a '86 Omega RX11 Coupe powered by the EA82T engine, this is also a car that Possum ran.

I have also had dealings through my sons owners ship of 86 rx coupe and sedan,an SVX and various TT Legacys...

My knowledge of early Legacys is quite extensive as I have actually modified,rebuilt and maintained a few...

My knowledge of pre 90 Subarus is unsurpassed....

have a look at my posts and the questions that i have answered CORRECTLY over the last few years and u will see that I do know what I am talkin about,and these are the questions I answer in this public forum,I also get Numerous PM's everyday asking more specific questions to do with not only Subarus,I also am respected in my knowledge in a few other International forums...

oh Mr Ash.. your a special kind of character arent you.

Between the three people above, they would school you from here back to the Fuji Heavy Industries factory, so sit back hold tight and listen a little.

to quote shale, use the flappy bits on the side of your heaad more than the flappy bits on the front of your face and she'll be right mate ;)

• General Member

thread lock?

its seems op questions have been answered and seeing as he already knows what size rotors to replace with and he must have a compression gauge and knows how to use it the comp ratio has already been solved

Ashranold said:

so without being rude you guys don't have a clue regarding the actual physical differences between 2 models of car other than the badge LOL LOL oh my god an i was asking you for help

tell me then what's the difference between an 555 WRX an the same year WRX

let me guess the VIN tag an badges

if you can't tell me what the actual specs of an RS why bother buying one!!

what if you change calipers an rotors to a 4 pots etc could you not know by measurements

the phrase JUST CAUSE U OWN A FERRARI, DON'T MEAN YOU CAN DRIVE ONE comes to mind

and as for read a book i have read lots question is have you by you? answer guess not!

ANY ONE WITH TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE START ANSWERS NOW!!!!

Wow, not to be rude but you come across as a demanding princess!

Why does anyone need to know the exact specs of an RS before owning one may I ask? If I want to replace a consumable part on my car, I go measure the damn thing to ensure that I get a direct replacement. Especially when you buy anything like a CV for example where Ripco/BNT may have 3 or 4 parts listed for the same model as the spec changed throughout the build lifetime of most models anyway. Thats why they ask for your chassis code when you go to the dealership as a model code only tells 1/3 of the story most times ::)