Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

cheap car speakers

G-unit

just after a better replacement 6-6.5inch speaker for the sti

am i being to cheap with these options

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/pioneer/auction-405458606.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=406664958

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=406668576

the stock speakers are shot. addvest 20watt 30watt max

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol those are cheap! If you want a good sound, at least get components. I'm sure you can find some around the $100 mark, from a known brand like JVC, Sony, Fusion etc, if you don't mind 2nd hand?

New from Pioneer / Infinity, you're looking around the $200 for entry level components.

Some cheap options:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/jvc/auction-406251474.htm - JVC

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/sony/auction-405873335.htm - Sony

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/other/auction-406966415.htm - Fusion

please dont buy any of those.

ive got alpine type r componants and they go really good.

these would be ok.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/other/auction-405546094.htm

even maby these but who knows about the quality

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/speakers/other/auction-406384899.htm

better to pay a little more so you can turn it up without all the crackles :D

Alpine Type-R's could handle the power. 110W RMS rated. I ran 220W into mine. Although at $250-300 (new); more a medium quality speaker.

The cheaper Type-S ones weren't too bad either. They were about $170 from Parallel Imported in East Tamaki, about 4 years ago. New entry Alpine stuff seems to look nasty - although I've never used it.

Cheap speakers do start around the $200 mark though. Any cheaper and they tend to be harsh to listen to due to the high-pitched 'tinny' sound.

But sticking to mainstream known brands does also help.

I'm assuming front speakers for the STI wagon? Factory ones would be components, so you don't really want to downgrade to a co-axial.

I've got some Jaycar 6" components that are a direct fit - they are actually very good for cheap speakers. $70 and they're yours. I had them in the car for a week, and ran 75W into them. You'll have to cut the stock spacers a bit as the magnets are slighly larger than factory.

I would rate them well over anything Sony or Fusion put out.

last time i was at repco they had some pretty damn cheap new speakers, would be worth a look at least

^^^ hey ive got a xplod headunit with all stock speakers replaced with fusions/sonys + 10" fusion sub and some kind of amp which i cant see as is bolted to the box, sound quality/clarity/definition is pretty damn good IMO

Some of the Repco stuff isn't too bad - at least you can hear it before buying! The comparator's generally have sealed speaker enclosures to give the speakers more mid-bass response, in a car they will not sound the same.

Actually anything aftermarket is generally better than worn factory fitted speakers. A lot of them tend to perish at the surrounds and go crackly.

Addzest/Carrozzeria are often OEM fitted speakers in Japan by (Clarion/Pioneer), and so are roughly the age of the car. So a 1999 model, 12-13 years old = well poked.

Also rated at 20-30W to run off a factory headunit putting out 15W RMS. They are often killed with aftermarket headunits running more power 50W (MAX) with EQ's and Loudness switched on.

G-unit said:

i have a version 5 sedan now jason, it has a double din headunit, its dam horrible, will upgarde that at a later stage tho, will check out repco next time im in there

You seem to change cars quite frequently.... 2006-2007 was the year for me, 4 different cars!

I'll bet that double din is a Jappa too. So can only pick up Classic Hits 89.5 in the bay...

You coming to the Palmy meet on the 8th Oct?

spark_38']

[quote name='G-unit said:

i have a version 5 sedan now jason, it has a double din headunit, its dam horrible, will upgarde that at a later stage tho, will check out repco next time im in there

/quote]

You seem to change cars quite frequently.... 2006-2007 was the year for me, 4 different cars!

I'll bet that double din is a Jappa too. So can only pick up Classic Hits 89.5 in the bay...

You coming to the Palmy meet on the 8th Oct?

i had the version6 wagon for 1 year sold that xmas eve and then got the 5 about 5-6weeks ago

can pick up most stations but not clear at all, only when im in hastings i can get them clear as, it will be taking out at some stage, could be a bad band expander

8th, could pop down, is that a track day also?

Don't buy fusion. They have a few nicer subs though.

Want good car speakers? Dynaudio or MbQuart. Want shit ones? Whatever you listed above. Want to pay lots for shit ones? Bose.

Want cost effective? Alpine, Polk, Pioneer, JL Audio, Kicker, Adire. And from there on it depends one what speaker you get. 2nd hand pair of those and you can't go too wrong.

aim said:

Don't buy fusion. They have a few nicer subs though.

Want good car speakers? Dynaudio or MbQuart. Want s*** ones? Whatever you listed above. Want to pay lots for s*** ones? Bose.

Want cost effective? Alpine, Polk, Pioneer, JL Audio, Kicker, Adire. And from there on it depends one what speaker you get. 2nd hand pair of those and you can't go too wrong.

Go Rockford Fosgate. My whole system is Rockford and I'm pushing around 140.2 dB last time we checked

• Admin
 Scoobydoo']

My next setup is going to be Soundstream speakers / sub, with JVC and Caliber amps, Pioneer headunit

Say whut now?

I hope we're talking old, old oldschool soundstream. Just saying.

[quote name='Jakee said:

Go Rockford Fosgate. My whole system is Rockford and I'm pushing around 140.2 dB last time we checked

I'll throw out a 140 with just about any gear you care to name...

boon']

[quote name='Scoobydoo said:

My next setup is going to be Soundstream speakers / sub, with JVC and Caliber amps, Pioneer headunit

/quote]

Say whut now?

Well got Pjays SPLX12, but am un-decided on speakers to run TBH, was going to see what range SSZ has

resurrection.inc said:

if you want to easily get more than 140 bang in a pioneer headunit and fusion power plant sub and amp then voila easy 140db

Haha I wouldn't go quite that far to say it's that easy, you still need good, clean power and a well designed box. The standard Repco/Supercheap chipboard boxes generally don't cut it. I've seen many installs at competitions that sound bloody loud in a car, but don't produce very big numbers on a dB meter. More / bigger subs don't always mean big numbers.

Scoobydoo']

[quote name='resurrection.inc said:

if you want to easily get more than 140 bang in a pioneer headunit and fusion power plant sub and amp then voila easy 140db

/quote]

Haha I wouldn't go quite that far to say it's that easy, you still need good, clean power and a well designed box. The standard Repco/Supercheap chipboard boxes generally don't cut it. I've seen many installs at competitions that sound bloody loud in a car, but don't produce very big numbers on a dB meter. More / bigger subs don't always mean big numbers.

it is that easy if you know what your doing. :) and correct doesnt mean youll have better numbers with more subs. like a lot of people think. its all about matching things is what ive found installing over the past 5 years and having a good power and grounding with good sized wiring

boon']

Say whut now?

[quote name='Jakee said:

/quote]

I'll throw out a 140 with just about any gear you care to name...

I'll believe it when I see it sorry bro. Seeing as a friend won the 4nR sound off with 143.6 dB. And I have put more money into my sounds than I care to mention.