Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Recommend a Sub??

Timmah

I"m thinking of picking up this little Momo AMP next week while it's on special: http://www.jvc.co.nz/KS-AX3101D.html

Two friends use it and it seems nice.

But I'm not sure what sub I should get to go with it? I was thinking of just using a sub box from Repco/Supercheap as I'm not after a giant box that is all ported, fancy and all that.

I'd like a 10 or 12" sub that can just deliver some nice bass, down low but isn't all SPL "I can go super loud" sorta thing..

What'd you recmommend??

you want to match your RMS levels to a decent name brand sub. the box actually has a big impact on the sound. if you have, say, a sony sub with properly sized box, it could possibly sound better than a soundstream sub in a naff box.

if you can get a decent name brand sub, soundstream, kicker, infinity etc and an appropriately sized box, you will be away and laughing. if you just want some doof doof, crab a crappy sony sub, bung it in a repco box and go for gold.

kwi_fozze said:

you want to match your RMS levels to a decent name brand sub. the box actually has a big impact on the sound. if you have, say, a sony sub with properly sized box, it could possibly sound better than a soundstream sub in a naff box.

if you can get a decent name brand sub, soundstream, kicker, infinity etc and an appropriately sized box, you will be away and laughing. if you just want some doof doof, crab a crappy sony sub, bung it in a repco box and go for gold.

Definitely not after "Doof doof" and that's exactly what my friends Sony in a repco box does lol..

thats what mine does. sony, repco box, rampage amp bahahaha its like... murder to the ears. infinity in general is good, heard lots of good things about kicker subs etc. take a nosy at the high end units at like, parallel imported or similar. bit cheaper than buying from agent.

kwi_fozze said:

thats what mine does. sony, repco box, rampage amp bahahaha its like... murder to the ears. infinity in general is good, heard lots of good things about kicker subs etc. take a nosy at the high end units at like, parallel imported or similar. bit cheaper than buying from agent.

Yeah I have spent some time on Parallel imported.

I didn't think Soundstream were that good? Just got really ... loud?

kwi_fozze said:

*shrugs* i personally havn't had any experience with soundstream, just what I've been told. if i had the coin i'd run infinity and that's it. top of the line stuff, with their fibre cones... nom nom nom.

http://www.parallelimported.co.nz/car-audio/sub-woofers/infinity/infinity-1262w-subwoofer.html

Being a dual voice at 4 ohm, I could run it with that AMP at 2ohm? Says here: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mbLhNbXOM5B/learn/learningcenter/car/amplifiers/sub_amp_guide.html?page=5

I've heard Infinity are good value for the money.

My friend has Rainbow components and coax's and oh-mah-gawd they're so nice to hear. With a little Clarion sub

Timmah']

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

*shrugs* i personally havn't had any experience with soundstream, just what I've been told. if i had the coin i'd run infinity and that's it. top of the line stuff, with their fibre cones... nom nom nom.

/quote]

http://www.parallelimported.co.nz/car-audio/sub-woofers/infinity/infinity-1262w-subwoofer.html

Being a dual voice at 4 ohm, I could run it with that AMP at 2ohm? Says here: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mbLhNbXOM5B/learn/learningcenter/car/amplifiers/sub_amp_guide.html?page=5

I've heard Infinity are good value for the money.

My friend has Rainbow components and coax's and oh-mah-gawd they're so nice to hear. With a little Clarion sub

sub? i don't see why not.

i used to have a set of reference 6.5componants in the front and reference 6x9's in the back of my skyline. they love being amped. infinity... HNNNNNGGGGGGGG muchly. i love their stuff.

So you've just signed up on NZICE right... TBH I'd listen to advice from the audio guru's on there, no disrespect to people on here, but they won't know nearly as much about what's good and what's not as the good guys on there.

I've already offered you my JVC Mono amp, craploads better than the one you're looking at, and there are far better options than that Infinity sub as well.

And yes the mid-high end Soundstream subs are good, I've just installed an SPLX 12 into my car, good for 140dB off 1000W RMS.

Scoobydoo said:

So you've just signed up on NZICE right... TBH I'd listen to advice from the audio guru's on there, no disrespect to people on here, but they won't know nearly as much about what's good and what's not as the good guys on there.

I've already offered you my JVC Mono amp, craploads better than the one you're looking at, and there are far better options than that Infinity sub as well.

And yes the mid-high end Soundstream subs are good, I've just installed an SPLX 12 into my car, good for 140dB off 1000W RMS.

Yeah I did last year, pretty much for the same reason but only now, I'm actually going to start getting the kit together. I'll give you a PM on there to make things more confusing :P

Right the amp your looking at is ok but its still crap how much do u want to spend on sub and amp wat sort of car do u hav wat do u already hav ie wat speakers and headunit. The repco boxes well i disagree they can be used and make some great base its all within the install. Ive installed plenty of them that have sounded good. I used one for my fusion 13" sub powered by a fusion amp all in powerplant and grabbed 147.6 db. Make sure the box is packed with dacron and completely airtight including the connections at bak wher u live i can price u up some stuff

check out wavetech http://www.wavetech.co.nz/ they will sort you easily for damn cheap. im running twin kenwood 1200w subs from a 3000w mono block and a 1 farad capacitor. i bought both mine from there for $180. they will do 85ish bucks for one i believe. they have a little store in sydenham.

Most of the major brands are pretty similer.They all have their different models with different specs. I got a pioneer from these guys for a really cheap price. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=2030539 and have recommended them to a few guys on here. (even with postage,which was overnight, it was still cheaper than any car audio place). My only real advice is to ensure that your amp is set up correctly and that the box you make/buy is the correct volume and thickness.

And yeah your amp isnt the flashest, but set up correctly it will give you what you need.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/amplifiers/2-channel/auction-413383392.htm

Thanks for the replies, went with Scooby and have been posting on the NZ ICE Forums, and could be picking up a Image Dynamics ID12 sub and possibly Scooby's JVC AMP with is a lot powerful than that one I first linked.

Sub box will be the next challenge I'll get onto when things start rolling :)

• Admin
 resurrection.inc said:

Right the amp your looking at is ok but its still crap how much do u want to spend on sub and amp wat sort of car do u hav wat do u already hav ie wat speakers and headunit. The repco boxes well i disagree they can be used and make some great base its all within the install. Ive installed plenty of them that have sounded good. I used one for my fusion 13" sub powered by a fusion amp all in powerplant and grabbed 147.6 db. Make sure the box is packed with dacron and completely airtight including the connections at bak wher u live i can price u up some stuff

You got 147.6db from a Fusion 13" sub in a repco sealed box?

What was the meter, an iPhone or something?

147.6dB (on a Termlab) from a 12" sub takes about 3000wrms and a bloody good ported box. Been there done that.

resurrection.inc said:

Make sure the box is packed with dacron and completely airtight including the connections at bak wher u live i can price u up some stuff

Yeah I will be after a wiring kit, and a box. think I might need something made up that fits with the rear strut brace.

The DD loaded enclosures aren't bad for a out-of-the-box, slot ported box and sub. I have the 8" and it goes reasonably well even with a measly 220W RMS. Nowhere as loud as the 2x 12" Alpine Type-R I used to have running from a E-Audio 1000D. But then it's only a tiny 8" sub, and I got it at their old price of $199 :)

http://www.onlinecaraudio.co.nz/DD_LE310

Timmah']

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

/quote]

Definitely not after "Doof doof" and that's exactly what my friends Sony in a repco box does lol..

Someone buy my setup!

> Soundstream PIC2.880 (880W RMS x 1; 440W RMS x 2) amp;

> Soundstream VGW12" (600W RMS, dual voice coils etc. etc. etc.) sub;

> Professionally made (Rapid Radio) box which was crafted from the finest ingredients, custom made for the wattage of both the amplifier and the sub.

Grunty package..

• Admin
 Timmah said:

Hahaha Divine :P

Looks like I've got got me:

- Image Dynamics ID12" Sub

- Scooby's JVC mono amp

Sorted!

Primo. Those subs sound really good in sealed boxes... and ported... and bandpass if you want to be ambitious. Very versatile.