• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

towing a car trailer

X

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive towed a legacy on a braked trailer from national park to hamilton, i had ver 7 suspension so was a tad stiffer, couldn't go over 80k or the car would get speed wobbles which were worse when braking!

Compared to towing with the 4wd hilux i use now, the hilux is great, can do whatever speed you like and it hauls up pretty quick (considering the hilux plus towed weight is 4tonne)

I wouldn't tow hamilton to welly with a forester, also check your tow bar rating, i'm pretty sure you will exceed the tow rating easily which would mean no insurance (even the hilux exceeds its tow rating)

Your forster is about 1500kg, your race car plus trailer will possibly be more than that, makes it very dodgy when your towing something heavier than your tow vehicle.

This is all from my experiances towing my cars, take or leave my advice

I tow my sti behind the BP outback and its unbraked and although not ideal it goes fine and feels safe.

Towing a v7 on the same trailer is definately not nice though as it was too heavy and pushed everywhere.

I would consider a forester lighter than a BP so would advise against towing a car for that distance.

I towed a Corolla on an unbraked trailer with a BG Legacy wagon for 3 years. It's doable, acceleration excellent, remember that braking will be twice as bad/slow ie as if you're braking with spongy brakes. For corners you will get large oversteer if you enter too fast, so make sure you slow early for corner and drive smoothly into each one at about 80ks. Um, less if signposted as less, say 20ks less than signposted. Speed limit is fine on straights.

U may find that with that combination u will be illegal as i beleive that over such a weight YOU HAVE to have brakes fitted to trailer, which will be ok UNLESS something goes wrong :)

Ideally your tow vehicle should be heavier than the combination being towed.

find another trailer that has at least got override brakes

towing with an unbraked trailer is asking for trouble towing vehicles is best left with diesel 4wd's i towed my mates fto with my dads terrano the thing will only get to about 130 tops well it but it easily got to 100 with a car not that its advisable to go 100 lol

markw336']

towing with an unbraked trailer is asking for trouble towing vehicles is best left with diesel 4wd's i towed my mates fto with my dads terrano the thing will only get to about 130 tops well it but it easily got to 100 with a car not that its advisable to go 100 lol

Legal Limit is 90 for a car and trailer so 100 is already 10 over :)

[quote name='ODB said:

is race car driveable?

personally id drive it back at like 3am midweek LOL

yeah thats a good idea EXCEPT it is when the CVIU are out prowling for trucks so maybe not a GOOD idea as those guys know the road rules better than most police :)

We are borg']

Legal Limit is 90 for a car and trailer so 100 is already 10 over :)

[quote name='ODB said:

is race car driveable?

personally id drive it back at like 3am midweek LOL

/quote]

yeah thats a good idea EXCEPT it is when the CVIU are out prowling for trucks so maybe not a GOOD idea as those guys know the road rules better than most police :)

But the CVIU are lazy.

*edit - bloody screen flicker