Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What do I need to change to make my sti run on avgas?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WRXONP said:

Yes exactly !!!

Hence y leaded fuel is bad in a car designed for un leaded

I dunno I think I worded it wrong before

??huh?? You were saying that leaded fuel caused the valve wear issue. What I just posted is about how the lead was to protect the valves. NOT running leaded fuel (in older engines) causes the valves to wear!

newsuba said:

Adding lead to fuel was a scheme concocted by DuPont, GM and Standard Oil to make money and nothing else.

Their inside knowledge of the toxic nature of lead was swept aside by their unbridled greed.

>:(

http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Lead-History.htm

Hence why I used the word "supposedly" in my first reply ;)

I wish the American empire would just completely collapse so that the rest of the world can get away from their rampant and corrupt capitalism schemes ;D

Hmm do I come across that confusing ??

I clearly said running leaded fuel in a modern motor kills valve seats

And I clearly said running un leaded fuel in older motors does the same

When running leaded fuel in modern motors you should change the valve seats

Yet e85 is far superior in many many ways then dirty ol av gas

My rally car runs on AV gas, tuned with possum link, went(and will go) like a rocket

Rally car so as far as i know it all good to run on the road, authority card etc etc.... not allowed in a standard road car but schedule A car is OK :)

no O2 sensor

did a big end bearing but dont think it had anything to do with the fuel, more the rallycar ness. although as with anything more power = more stress etc etc

wouldnt suggest just chucking a tank in, used to do it on the old derby cars, doesnt make enough difference without the motor to match and tuning, just chuck 98 with octane boost if you want better octane rating. but even then octane wont make more power without supporting mods and tuning

Ashton95 said:

how to you make it then haha and where do you buy ethanol ?

E85 you can buy by the barrel, some on trademe if you look, but VERY hard on engines, but lots of power. one of the rally NZ boys runs E85, was telling me good for an extra 85 HP over av gas. also replaces the turbo for every rally and engine reuild every 2 rallys. power = stress = money

E85 hard on the motor ??

E85 burns cooler than pump gas - giving it the anti knock properties - allowing the tuner to pull more timing which is where the power comes from - not the fuel itself

Also to maintain the same afr as pump gas you need to inject 30% more fuel - so the whole fuel system needs to be looked at when running e85 as well as the tune

**edit - e85 is the opposite of being hard on the motor

Shred industries have run 300+ kw on multiple un opened non turbo RB motors - even drift cars which bash the rev limiter all day long

What's hard on a motor ?? Detonation is - high cylinder temps - e85 burns colder than pump gas and pump gas isn't exactly known as being hard on a motor

In any respect of talking about different fuels being hard on a motor - it all comes down to the tune - its only going to be as harsh as the tune is

No - you obviously can't read

Why is it that you need to run some other form of fuel than 98 octane ? Easy to make 250 kw + on pump gas

Just about any form of fuel ( av gas - e85 etc ) doesn't actually make your car faster - it's the fact you can pull more timing when tuning it which is what makes more power

dacerx']

[quote name='dacerx said:

you dont you buy a ea82 hehe ;D

/quote]

Bahahah I was thinkign the same thing :) only good if it ends in a T

very true indeed hehehe cant say that i miss mine, but yours is pretty special

You should pop by on your way north :)

mmmmm ill check to see if i can make it in, but we have to be in tauranga by the afternoon on friday so we mite be cutting it a bit to close. Ill be coming through in a few months so i mite pop in then when i have more time

Can buy it pump from a lot of places which service jet boats / moto cross / speedway racers etc - caltex waimak is a good culprit haha

Ruapuna used to sell it pump if you were racing there on the day - I'd chuck a half tank in, reset the ECU and crank the boost yo - don't think it ever achieved much other than peace of mind when racing on 30 deg days, and killing about 5 VR4 02 sensors. Could run a bit more safely but as everyones said - the long term effects outweighed the .2 I probably gained down the 1/4!

If you tune for it you can get more power (like running 98 vs 91), if you don't tune for it its like chucking 98 into a corolla