Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Car Knowledge & Background

vorigan said:

off topic

i haven't posted on CS for a while now and after reading some of the posts on here it reminds me why

back to topic

Steve - forums are open to suggestion, intrepretation and sometimes slander but you have to take what some people say with a grain of salt.

Some people speak from experience some from a sound technical back ground some from their arse but whatever it might be mate it shouldnt stop you from coming on here and having input. You just have to realise there are punters and then there are 'others' and there will forever be no matter what forum your on.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swindog']

[quote name='vorigan said:

off topic

i haven't posted on CS for a while now and after reading some of the posts on here it reminds me why

back to topic

/quote]

Steve - forums are open to suggestion, intrepretation and sometimes slander but you have to take what some people say with a grain of salt.

Some people speak from experience some from a sound technical back ground some from their arse but whatever it might be mate it shouldnt stop you from coming on here and having input. You just have to realise there are punters and then there are 'others' and there will forever be no matter what forum your on.

Im well aware of all that thus voiced my opinion like others and to be honest even for those of us that do whats mentioned here for a living its not worth competing with keyboard jockeys sad thing is all the misleading advise that's given but as you've said that's the net for you if anything cheap entertainment.

It is a forum and opinions are welcomed. but I think some people take there opinions to far

& there is a lot of mis-information spouted on here, but if someone like you or others in the know share advice its generally taken above the rest of it (again from those who know whose who etc)

Swindog said:

Maybe we should do a whose who of the forum...then again that just might take time away from already busy people answering questions

ok ill start instead of trying to look like a critic ( not that-ll mean much )

Vorigan= Steve Murch MSETURBOS NZ LTD

who's next?

vorigan']

[quote name='Swindog said:

Maybe we should do a whose who of the forum...then again that just might take time away from already busy people answering questions

/quote]

ok ill start instead of trying to look like a critic ( not that-ll mean much )

Vorigan= Steve Murch MSETURBOS NZ LTD

who's next?

If your happy to do that ill setup a sticky in the technical side and do it that way. Then itll show in a search.

If your happy to do that ill setup a sticky in the technical side and do it that way. Then itll show in a search.

and just to be fair those above that push stuff they do also need to fes up after all if their good enough to give advice they to can give name and what business they have and add some credit to their input.

funky- fixed your quotes

vorigan said:

and just to be fair those above that push stuff they do also need to fes up after all if their good enough to give advice they to can give name and what business they have and add some credit to their input.

funky- fixed your quotes

if thats pointed at my sig i dont sell performance parts...if not just ignore.

just helping out people who dont have cheap standard part hook ups. i normally just tell them whos the cheapest and easiest to buy it off though :D.

correct people if theyre wrong its how everyone learns, well me anyway.

evowrx']

quote]

funky- fixed your quotes

if thats pointed at my sig i dont sell performance parts...if not just ignore.

just helping out people who dont have cheap standard part hook ups. i normally just tell them whos the cheapest and easiest to buy it off though :D.

correct people if theyre wrong its how everyone learns, well me anyway.

no wasnt you

vorigan said:

Just to add some clarity...

If its directed at me then I am a sheet metal engineer by trade and have exclusively owned and worked on subarus, I am an enthusiast.

If not who are you talking about here that you feel needs to prove themselves before they write anything on this forum?

The whole deal with a forum like this is if you see something as an expert that you disagree with you should say so and state why. I know I would appreciate that kind of input.

Alternatively club sub could start an exclusive -locked to me and the masses- thread for those that are trusted sources when it comes to information and input.

scottiescottiescottie said:

Alternatively club sub could start an exclusive -locked to me and the masses- thread for those that are trusted sources when it comes to information and input.

tis the ever prominent problem with an open to the masses collaboration (forum).

You're point here is extremely valid and resonates around the older members. To that end, with the new forum we hope to implement something like this, with a key difference;

One of Clubsub's main goals is inclusion and more specifically education, so we are hoping to set up a repository for trusted / tested sources of information (and heres the key difference) is that it will be locked down so only few can add to i, like a submission process or similar, but it will be shared (viewable) to anyone.

cool?

scottiescottiescottie']

quote]

Just to add some clarity...

If its directed at me then I am a sheet metal engineer by trade and have exclusively owned and worked on subarus, I am an enthusiast.

If not who are you talking about here that you feel needs to prove themselves before they write anything on this forum?

The whole deal with a forum like this is if you see something as an expert that you disagree with you should say so and state why. I know I would appreciate that kind of input.

Fair not again its not you the whole idea is to establish some credibility for those who seek advise knowing its not copy and pasted nor just leading people astray and that isnt a bad thing ill give you an idea of my back-round, time served tool& die maker, design engineer, cad/cam certified engineer and until i let it laps 4711 certified welder and all that spanning the last 30 plus years but like most i guess you'll have to take my word on all that.

Its not about who's got the best credentials its validating what they have to say and that's not a bad thing is it?

funky - topic spelling updated.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer that sits at a desk designing refrigerators for the largest manufacturer of industrial fridges in NZ.

Often helping out at RDL Performance with running their various rally cars, either with build/maintenance and servicing away at rallies. They used to be specifically Subaru's but have run Evo's and now on to our second Fiesta (R2 build this time round ;D). Mostly have just learnt through doing and also making mistakes, then trying to remember not to do the same thing again. Can also still remember trying to replace the thermostat on my RS when I first bought it and it taking me about 6 hours sometime in 2005 (15 min job now haha).

I am 39 y/o, was an auto electrican from 1994 to 2001, then retrained in Computer Networking (Cisco Networking Academy trained to CCNP level) Full time study for two years. Been in IT since early 2003.

well before the auto sparky days i was a car fanatic, have had 5 RX2's, and a RX4 (back in the day when you cud buy a blown up one for $1000 lol) plus built up a DX and starlet with 4age's.

Brought my 1st WRX in late 2008 (late bloomer) and have owned, repowered, repaired, wrecked and parted out around 10 subarus (mainly legacys) since then.

I have done 3 single turbo conversions.. 2 on BG5a legacies and one on a BH5 legacy.

Stoffa said:

My turn, I'm a courier logistics and planning manager and self taught subi mechanic, and I read it all on the internet!!! I just have a good dolphin filter. I learnt everything the extremely hard way by trial and error

Believe anything I say at your own peril muahahaha

Fixed for dubb'd ness

CUDDAS as in CUDDAS ;) fitter welder, semi brewer & was an automotive technician, dairy/crop farmer,

owner of a couple of BC Legacy's i have slightly modded a few times over the past 13 years - not a lot i haven't removed & refitted to both.

So Just tell em to ease up on the drink :P

I put people to sleep for a living so others can cut them open, so if you want to know why your heart rate drops if they pump your abdomen full of gas when they're doing "keyhole" surgery, i can help you out. As for car knowledge, i learnt most of what i know from this forum.. so don't trust anything i say ;)

Difference is i know i don't know much... some others don't seem to have that insight

hi my name is craig....

and id LIKE to be an alcoholic.... :)

nah i owned my audio gauges alarms installation biz in chch until shit turned to shit and now reside in the mighty tron. If people are after audio gear or gauges electrical things then let me know and see what i can source, give knowledge to. Im now on my 5 subby and always learning from this site! Appreciate the knowledge alot of you have!

I'm an Internal Auditor at a government entity by day, self/club/internet taught subaru fiddler by night.

Because I have an accounting degree I'm too cheap to pay someone to do something I could do myself, and thus my love of subarus was born. ;D

I'm also a bit anal when it comes to understanding the how/why of things so I end up doing far too much research but at least I can regurgitate it and it serves me well from time to time.

I'm a 23 year old hv sparky. Been around engines and cars most of my life. Pulled dads lawnmower apart at 4 and could point out all the parts in an old cortina engine bay.

Spent just under a year working at csl cams in palmerston north, stripping and reassembling datsun motors for ministocks, and helping out with the toyota v8's.

First subie, 8th car. used to help out my uncle with his subies.

Everything i have learnt is from f**king up, common (to me) sence, a mechanical mind and asking questions. Don't trust everything i say, but i do what i can with what i know. Willing to learn too :)