Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Govt to introduce boy racer car crushing bill

Yeah the plan is to allow bikes over 250cc provided they are within a power threshold - and subsequently ban learners from riding 'high-performance' bikes with a small displacement.

I have some work to do on it anyway ;). Got to figure out all the wiring from the previous owner - its pretty complicated because hes added things like wiring up the boost gauge to flash when the alarm is activated. Also a new aerial (hey I might use the radio one day..) and cambelt with all the goodies that go along with it.

Anyway off-topic - back to crushers ::)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• General Member
 1994legacyrs']

[quote name='cpt kernow said:

I mean (for the majority) a 16yr old in a twin turbo'd road legal race car doesn't appreciate the damage he/she could cause or the implications of their actions aswell as someone at the other end of their 20's. But limiting engine size/power could go a long way in helping things out.

It works for motorbikes.

/quote]

I for one am a 16yr old in a "twin turbo'd road legal race car" and I DO understand the damage that can be caused by high-speeds.

I think this law is a step in the right direction but I can tell that responsible young drivers such as myself may face a lot of police attention over the next few years with this new crackdown on "young racers" - which is a shame, stereotypes are never good. But as said earlier, those that aren't in the wrong shouldn't have anything to fear provided the police don't take this new power to their heads.

On a side note I for one think the current motorbike scheme is an epic failure. I have ridden my brother's CBR250 and I tell you it's definitely not a "learners bike". Not to mention my rm250 has no trouble at putting a smile on my face when I open the throttle. But the government is moving in the right direction with HP restrictions rather than displacement. I think a similar HP scheme could work quite well with cars as well. It would mean I would have to give up my RS though..... :-\ on the otherhand, I'll save lots on insurance ;)

16 or not I dont think they can make you sell a car you already own. I think when it was introduced in Aus recently it was phased in so from a certain date you couldnt buy certain cars on certain licenses.

I would be extremly surprised if they could make you see what you have. Natural selection of sort should weed out the morons pretty quick anyway.

Guest STiEVO
 1994legacyrs']

[quote name='cpt kernow said:

I mean (for the majority) a 16yr old in a twin turbo'd road legal race car doesn't appreciate the damage he/she could cause or the implications of their actions aswell as someone at the other end of their 20's. But limiting engine size/power could go a long way in helping things out.

It works for motorbikes.

/quote]

I for one am a 16yr old in a "twin turbo'd road legal race car" and I DO understand the damage that can be caused by high-speeds.

I think this law is a step in the right direction but I can tell that responsible young drivers such as myself may face a lot of police attention over the next few years with this new crackdown on "young racers" - which is a shame, stereotypes are never good. But as said earlier, those that aren't in the wrong shouldn't have anything to fear provided the police don't take this new power to their heads.

On a side note I for one think the current motorbike scheme is an epic failure. I have ridden my brother's CBR250 and I tell you it's definitely not a "learners bike". Not to mention my rm250 has no trouble at putting a smile on my face when I open the throttle. But the government is moving in the right direction with HP restrictions rather than displacement. I think a similar HP scheme could work quite well with cars as well. It would mean I would have to give up my RS though..... :-\ on the otherhand, I'll save lots on insurance ;)

great to see a high level of maturity dude. this attitude is what clubs need. i am flabergasted

Ban on car types would be better. They do it with car insurance, why not licencing?

All goverment policies on boyracers are just re-active. Theres no pro-active.

They dont listen, and no-one else does anything about campaining about this stuff.

Welcome to NZ

Rossmnz said:

imo this law will end up being like the exhaust thing....there as a last ditch deterrant, but not really an inconvenience for your average enthusiast.

However, like the exhaust law, there is potential for a cop having a bad day to abuse this law.

But it takes 3 warnings....so you need to consistently be "wrong doing" to get anywhere near having your whip crushed.

+1 on this, read it all and won't be bugging me at all.... Sure I've had an exhaust fine recently, but was in the wrong place at the wrong time I'll admit. Don't see any issues with this at all, unless ur being a nob.

Don't really see it changing anything IMO. But how the put the "cruising" ban into effect Im curious to see I must admit. The local council here will be eyeing that one up in regards to the constant "4 aves" cruising that occurs here most nights.

STiEVO']

[quote name='1994legacyrs said:

/quote]

great to see a high level of maturity dude. this attitude is what clubs need. i am flabergasted

+1 - fantastic attitude from someone so young! Also OT - your literacy is great too, too many young ones these days don't know how to spell in plain english - just txt speak! :)

Leese']

[quote name='1994legacyrs said:

/quote]

+1 - fantastic attitude from someone so young! Also OT - your literacy is great too, too many young ones these days don't know how to spell in plain english - just txt speak! :)

+2

There's your answer, to how both the police and the public will expect this law to be used, in that article right there.

Speed, a powerful car and, even illegal street racing is clearly acceptable, even condonable, as long as it's not done by someone young...

Anyone who thinks owning a performance vehicle and, ‘behaving’, will keep their car from the crusher, think again…

It only needs one disgruntled member of the public, or one cop having a bad ticket day, and you pop up…perfect boyracer law fodder…

RevolutionRacegear.co.nz said:

no one should be worried about this 'bill' if your good.

So.... i don't really care if it comes law. BUT, i don't trust the police in how this 'bill' will/could go to their heads

Couldn't of said it better

Glen said:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/2458802/Nana-leaves-boy-racers-gasping

Granny racer? Openly admitting to street racing. And yet it is portrayed as being a fun thing to do with your grand kids in the back.

I saw that and thought it was funny

I did like this bit...

McKay said that despite the negative press given to boy racers, she found them courteous and respectful.

"What I like the best is when I go past all these boy racers in their hard-up cars and they give me the thumbs-up. A couple of them followed me into a petrol station.

"They said, 'We're not getting petrol, we were just following you, please can we have a look at your car'."

McKay said she was a very careful driver who in 54 years of driving had never had a ticket or a crash.

Im trying to find this now but if you saw the paper.

From the front cover you go in the next couple of pages of it.

It talks about the girl securtity officer that was attacked.

It said it wasnt boyracers that attacked her. Just older aged thugs that where in cars.

Im trying to find the linky but no luck yet.

heres something else i randomly found if any one wants to read it.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/motoring/2459932/Club-steers-clear-of-boy-racers

BOYRACER

This generalisation and the subsequent harassment of innocent citizens it brings really should be reported to the Human rights commission...

Aren't there laws against this sort of discriminatory overzealous profiling?

DPI said:

How the F can it be overzealous profiling.

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and acts like a duck, its not a fucking turtle is it.

If you act like a boyracer, then too fuckin bad.

That's a nice, simplistic view... ::)

So, your saying not one single person has ever been pulled over for no good reason other than the cops were doing a purely random stop?

Sometimes, when it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a man in a duck suit, not actually a real duck...

TURTLE']

[quote name='DPI said:

/quote]

How the F can it be overzealous profiling.

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and acts like a duck, its not a ****ing turtle is it.

If you act like a boyracer, then too ****in bad.

Problem is people assume if you own/drive a performance car then you are this damn duck. When reality is the ducks that are pissing everybody off are "generally" knob jockies driving piece of s**t cars with their exhausts chopped off.

I don't know how many $700 automatic s**t boxes I've seen with with a 5" cannon style muffler on the back.

When ever you see people doing burnouts on news the cars are usually piles of crap. But whenever the news wants to show a "boyracer" car they always show really nice modified performance car.

I just wish people would start to see the difference between car enthusiasts and boyracers.

I will say it till i'm blue in the face, because i really do beleive it,

IF you are behaving responsibly then you won't have a problem, if you get caught 3 times then your OBVIOUSLY doing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Treecrusher said:

Problem is people assume if you own/drive a performance car then you are this damn duck. When reality is the ducks that are pissing everybody off are "generally" knob jockies driving piece of s**t cars with their exhausts chopped off.

There is plenty of DUCKS in nice cars as well that behave like general idiots. You can read about it all the time, some young guy in fast nice car, gets caught doing something stupid, and claims they were being picked on. "you wouldn't have pulled me up if i was in an HSV!!!!" well yes they would have, but someone who owns an HSV is more likely to pick there time to drop an O and not do it outside the police station yelling FTP at the top of there lungs.

I'm well and truly on the side of the majority of people, the ones who have homes near the DUCK hangouts, the people who have to pay for the anti social and at times downright risky and irresponsible behaviour. Must be getting old.

TURTLE']

I will say it till i'm blue in the face, because i really do beleive it,

IF you are behaving responsibly then you won't have a problem, if you get caught 3 times then your OBVIOUSLY doing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

[quote name='Treecrusher said:

Problem is people assume if you own/drive a performance car then you are this damn duck. When reality is the ducks that are pissing everybody off are "generally" knob jockies driving piece of s**t cars with their exhausts chopped off. /quote]

There is plenty of DUCKS in nice cars as well that behave like general idiots. You can read about it all the time, some young guy in fast nice car, gets caught doing something stupid, and claims they were being picked on. "you wouldn't have pulled me up if i was in an HSV!!!!" well yes they would have, but someone who owns an HSV is more likely to pick there time to drop an O and not do it outside the police station yelling FTP at the top of there lungs.

I'm well and truly on the side of the majority of people, the ones who have homes near the DUCK hangouts, the people who have to pay for the anti social and at times downright risky and irresponsible behaviour. Must be getting old.

IMO you're on the money.

I don't have any issues with them crushing repeat offenders cars, but think it should also include DUI and reckless driving.

- I know there is alot of cars that I see getting around that I would love to see crushed.

I believe it was going to happen eventually, so there's no point whining about it.

Guest STiEVO

excellent point in reference to the drunk driver. could i suggest that anyone caught over the limit while driving have no strikes and the car they are driving is crushed. im sure after the first 10 or so cars crushed no one will DUI,

im sure after the first 10 or so cars crushed no one will DUI,

You think the fines and prison would also change them, but no........ I would guess the majority would prefer to take the risk of not being caught. Hence people get killed and injured

Drinking is a much bigger issue than hooning around. Shame it's still socially acceptable.

0 tolerance is the way to go. 1 beer should put you over the limit. At the mo I'll have 2 bottles or 1 pint then drive, but I'd be happy to stop if the law changed.

Guest STiEVO
 Carbon said:

im sure after the first 10 or so cars crushed no one will DUI,

You think the fines and prison would also change them, but no........ I would guess the majority would prefer to take the risk of not being caught. Hence people get killed and injured

yep especially when its not their car or the only car the family has. its called repercussions of their actions causing an effect to some one than themselves.but if i ruled the world youd be shot on site and your vehicle would be auctioned off and all proceeds would be donated to the SPCA