Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

how do you know when its tim to replace the primary turbo 1994 gt

lachlan

question to all you sick puppies who are passionate about the twin turbo setup

i know how it works and how to modify blah blah .

car is 1994 gt auto with 256 on the clock . stock as a rock . my mum owned it for the last 10 years and drove it nana as all hell

ive got it now as a daily . it goes all good but i think the primary turbo is really sad . it feels like it is seized eg foot half down car is lame as fuck then all of a sudden it goes "oh shit ill make boost and go now "

ive just pulled the intercooler off for a fiddle and i noticed whan i started the car up it blows no air out of the primary turbo to ic pipe . then give it a rev and some huffs out then stops again . asthough turbo has stopped again

its also quite winey when it does do something

thinking about it its obvoiusly time to replace it isnt it ?

its a vf13 . should i replace it with a 13 or is it worth putting anything else on ? cbf changing both

anyone got a decent one for sale .

The one on my legacy got like that, "jerky" performance is how I\'d describe it, and you could hear it whining really badly while it was idling, sounded like a hover craft!!

Took it to mechanic and he said "hmmm they\'re not meant to sound like that"

You hearing the same whining?

nah its not hovercrft spec . yet lol . i dont think mine even spins at idle . didnt move any air at idle with ic off

you can hear it spool up and down tho . kinda like a car with nothing infront of the turbo . but you shouldnt hear it with all the stock intake etc from in the car .

will keep an eye out for another one .

as an aside i do think it seized once before . years ago when mum had it . it did nothing on the primary so i took it for a rape and freed it up . lol

like it could barely pul itself up the hill . couple of laps foot flat and it woke up

I have a mint upgrade pair of turbos that would suit your needs :P

I was under the impression that if your primary was blown, then it would run like a bag of sh*t and not boost at all. My bg5a primary turbo isn\'t quiet when it spools, but it\'s healthy as. You won\'t feel anything from the turbo at idle, as no boost is being made (will show vacuum on idle on a boost gauge up until a certain point) My wagon seems to be a little hesitant on primary turbo if I put my foot up it from low rpm, then boom, away she goes. I put that down to plugs/coils.

Probably not worth changing to anything else, if its just going to stay a stocker auto there\'s no gain in going bigger and it\'d probably get annoying if it got made any doughier than normal

There\'s a few for sale on TM - looked last night there was a VF26/27 pair for $150 in chch, could make half your $ back onselling the 27 I guess

Those little bastards do whine when you put your foot down, it\'s half the fun of owning one. I\'ve got a pair at the moment that are so shit the primary whines during idle, the thing sounds like a jet sitting on the tarmac. Anyway, still boosts 15psi no worries and pulls like a school boy. Like Bugle said, you\'ll know it when they\'re toast.

Your nothing-then-full-bore symptoms may not be your turbo. Do you have a boost gauge installed? If not then see if you can get one, if only to see what\'s going on. One free thing you can do is unplug the ECU or battery overnight to let the ECU reset. Often my TT gets a bit like how you describe, super laggy when you put your foot down. I noticed that mine was still running a decent amount of boost so it wasn\'t the turbo. ECU reset fixes the shitty timing maps these things develop at low rpm so you get a bit more response when you put your foot down. Other possibilities are a leak somewhere so make sure everything\'s screwed together nice and tight (those pipes from turbo -> IC can loosen up sometimes).

If you start to notice jerky acceleration then you could be looking at plugs / coils / fuel pump, but if acceleration is smooth just lacking the fun-factor then definitely ECU reset and/or look for a leak.

yeah cheers guys . i recon after 250 k of constantly going its prolly worn out .so im going to replace it

yeah im pretty tempted to "upgrade" both but then id need to do the manifolds and the whole exhaust and the gearbox and the intercooler and blah blah . and thats what the ra is for, and the boat , and 3 motorbikes

anyone recon its worth freeing up the exhaust and intake ?

lachlan said:

yeah cheers guys . i recon after 250 k of constantly going its prolly worn out .so im going to replace it

yeah im pretty tempted to "upgrade" both but then id need to do the manifolds and the whole exhaust and the gearbox and the intercooler and blah blah . and thats what the ra is for, and the boat , and 3 motorbikes

anyone recon its worth freeing up the exhaust and intake ?

Yeah mate for a few hundred you should replace stock exhaust and replace stock filter with an aftermarket one. This is usually the first mod upgrade to get more power on any car, cheap, easy and fast.

As long as you keep up with your oil changes/services, your current primary will probably still give you a lot more use, even if its whiny now.

I had an auto BG GTB for a few months - just did the usual exhaust / snorkelectomy / bit more boost, fuel economy went from horrific to reasonable, and it definately woke it up a heap for next to no cost (just found a bolt on exhaust on TM for a hundy or so)

Was worth the trouble, never going to be a rocket but at least made it feel like it had something

Marky said:

I had an auto BG GTB for a few months - just did the usual exhaust / snorkelectomy / bit more boost, fuel economy went from horrific to reasonable, and it definately woke it up a heap for next to no cost (just found a bolt on exhaust on TM for a hundy or so)

Was worth the trouble, never going to be a rocket but at least made it feel like it had something

Did you do a panel filter and a cat back exhaust system? - this is what I am going to do - what exhaust size did you go for?

Re fuel economy - how did this improve economy I though it would be the same or worse without a tune?

Sorry for so many questions :)

lachlan said:

yeah it will def improve economy .

try to find a japanese exhaust . just keep an eyey out for a 2nd hand one . no name stuff sounds s***

Neat - anyone got a catback exhaust - I have a Genome muffler thus far, just need the pipe work now. ;)

Keep an eye on subaruspeed.co.nz, if you\'re in aucks they are good value

Otherwise even just whipping the cat out and replacing the muffler is the biggest gains / value for $$

Filter - there\'s heaps on here about it, most say just taking out the big resonator box in the front guard outright and just a replacement factory filter will be as good as it gets - no real gain forking out for a big $$ panel but do what you want there I guess

Fuel economy - remove restrictions = better mileage I guess.

• 2 weeks later...