Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Amphibious EJ20 - Self nominated fail

So,

Long story short:

-V7 scoop on an RS

+Leaving the intercooler piping off (so throttle body = just sitting there)

+Car outside for a few days

+Rain

=

And after a good clean and with the turbo back on

Not bad for a 22 year old motor which has been drowning for 3 months!

Koom said:

I wonder how many of the rods are bent now.....

Can you elaborate please? Sure I can appreciate there would be some pressure in the combustion chamber whilst it tries to squeeze the water out of 2 x little valves, but compare that to the same amount of boost pressure it would take to bend a subaru rod (20-30?) I don\'t see how it would be that much. Or are you talking about a different factor caused by the water altogether.

its possible the engines been hydrolocked causing the rods to bend.

that was alot of water and not a very good way to get it out , its quite possible there bent.

my old wagon had this issue with a fuel leak past a injector seal. engine wouldnt turn over but i was very lucky i didn\'t do damage . the fuel eventually passed into the sump , which is why yo should pull it off ..... oil and water don\'t like to be together :)

Yep I agree not the best way to get it out, I guess you could say I have the luxury of not needing to care too much as a replacement engine is readily available should I require it.

The only alternative to it going through the throttle body would be it going straight into the uppipe but I don\'t think I had the turbo off while it was outside at all.

I\'ll take the sump off as suggested, put some new oil through, bolt up the exhaust and let it run for 30 minutes and see what happens.

I\'ve taken a spark plug out of each bank and they look fine except one has a chunk out of the ceramic so I\'ll repalce that one at least.

Had a workmate submerge his V6 vitara a few times

He didn\'t learn so good

But anyway - every time it was whip out the plugs, crank it, enjoy the fountains, change oil, cross fingers & off we go

Thinking out loud - would the starter motor alone be enough to manage to bend rods? I can understand hydraulic-ing a motor when running - you have all the other cylinders forcing the one which is full to move (and bend things) - but just cranking on the not *that* powerful starter?

Marky said:

Had a workmate submerge his V6 vitara a few times

He didn\'t learn so good

But anyway - every time it was whip out the plugs, crank it, enjoy the fountains, change oil, cross fingers & off we go

Thinking out loud - would the starter motor alone be enough to manage to bend rods? I can understand hydraulic-ing a motor when running - you have all the other cylinders forcing the one which is full to move (and bend things) - but just cranking on the not *that* powerful starter?

I see what you\'re saying......hmmm hopefully, it was a good 45 secs of cranking before it started, when it finally started (ie went above cranking speed) it pushed out the last of the water with it so the resistance would have been getting progressively less.

Water is not able to be compressed. So if you have a larger volume of water than can fit in the combustion chamber at top dead centre, something has to give way for it to rotate. That looked like a hell of a lot of water coming out too. Should always pull the plugs out to clear fluids.

jesus fuck settle down on the throttle . was someone having a seizure on the gas peddle ? in the first video

engine wouldnt have turned over with that much water inside it . all that water would have just been sitting in the exhaust . and a wee bit in the throttle body

are you seroius ?

you think 1 kw of power will put compressive focre on a rod to bend it sideways ?

heaven forbid there be an explosion on the other side of a piston pushing on said rod ...

it just stalls the starter . if the engine fires that is a different story

lachlan said:

are you seroius ?

you think 1 kw of power will put compressive focre on a rod to bend it sideways ?heaven forbid there be an explosion on the other side of a piston pushing on said rod ...

Yes I have seen this happin a few times. I even have 2 rods in my garage (one from a toyota 1KZ and one from a Cat C18) One filled with water, One filled with oil after being Upside down. They both bent rods (Cat C18 cracked engine block) from starter motor. You have to remember if the Cyclinder gets a complete throw (BTC to TDC) the amount of force (even from 1kw motor) is enough to do this. Theres engines out there which crack blocks and throw rods out the side of engine instead of bending rods.

lachlan said:

are you seroius ?

you think 1 kw of power will put compressive focre on a rod to bend it sideways ?

heaven forbid there be an explosion on the other side of a piston pushing on said rod ...

Yes I was serious

Razzmatazz said:

That definition of hydro lock doesn\'t come close to sounding like what decimates described or taped. While I would be a fool to say it hasn\'t happened the engine didn\'t seem to struggle to start or look like stalling

For the sake of pulling out four sparkplugs, would you want to risk it? Or take care of the problem properly?

loner said:

yeah, it\'s just his s***ty old motor... who cares if he bothers it.

Not you, and not me. I didn\'t put this up as a sob story - quite the opposite - the intention was to show that an engine can still start whilst spewing litres of water, and to admit that mistakes can happen so hopefully I, and others, can learn from it. I seem to have attracted a few clowns though who are a bit \'holier than thou\' about the whole thing though - just another reason why I spend more time on other forums now.

Let me be clear - I was not aware there was water in there until 1st start. Once I was aware there was something wrong I did not know how much water was in there, or where it was originating from. The very first time I started it was with the turbo on, when I saw water coming out I though it might have been from the coolant coming into the turbo so I took it off and videoed it to check. My first reaction was not to pull the sparks or anything like that.

I need to learn the lesson at some stage and thankfully it\'s not really an expensive engine to learn it on, and a good chance to upgrade again if it\'s really shagged. We\'ll soon see wont we.