Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

chipped ecu's and raised rev limiters

scoobygt

only just noticed today that my chipped ecu has a raised rev limiter.. my question is when I change gears manually the car will now rev to 8000 rpm :o surely this is less than ideal? how ever leaving it in D it will change at the red line * 7000 rpm * as per normal.

Sounds normal, I think the stock ecu in mine cuts around 7800?

Won\'t be making power much up there - not on the little turbos anyway.

Just leave it in d for drag and it might live a little longer

To answer question: not ideal as such but since it\'s auto it will never be an issue

This is a tt legacy, changing that soon will have it dropping into vod on every shift

And it\'s auto so is purely academic anyway

Fwiw my stock bh ecu cut at 7800 and made peak power a bit over 7, peak torque somewhere over 6k and still stayed relatively flat to limiter - made more torque up there than anywhere under 5500 anyway

The tts are kind of the exception to the rule in that sense though, they\'re like VTEC without the economy, need to keep the revs up to keep them moving

ecu logs or gtfo :P (goes for max km/h as well).

ok ok right, so context. when i see 300wkw ej20, ej22\'s that are tuned with sufficiently sized snails that are tuned for a 7300rpm red line, by where even on these builds the torque well in truly downward sloping on the TQ curves and shift points are set @ 7k, while being used in closed event applications..

why the need to beat a poor factory motors with modest curves to WELL beyond its sensible limits? /serious question.

funkytown said:

ok ok right, so context. when i see 300wkw ej20, ej22\'s that are tuned with sufficiently sized snails that are tuned for a 7300rpm red line, by where even on these builds the torque well in truly downward sloping on the TQ curves and shift points are set @ 7k, while being used in closed event applications..

why the need to beat a poor factory motors with modest curves to WELL beyond its sensible limits? /serious question.

You work with what you have

Theres folks around who would look at a 300kw 2l and go why bother, my LSX makes that at half redline - its all relative

Just because a car won\'t make the same power as a super $$ example doesn\'t mean people don\'t still enjoy trying to get the best out of it / go as fast as they / it can

In context re: pace - in terms of outright straight line speed, still means youll gain pace quicker by revving it out and "straddling" the hump in power rather than shifting bang on peak hp/tq - say your gearing gives you say a 2k drop between ratios, ideally you\'d want to stay 1000rpm either side of that point. Im only talking outright straight lines here mind you

Plus don\'t forget because racecar

funkytown said:

refer to statement above. 13000rpms is a pointless statement that is not verifiable in any matter of fact.

/thread.

Its easy to hit 13k rpms, just downshift to 2nd instead of 4th. Talking to a tuner recently about this type of occurrence and how much it really buggers up your valves and pistons. He had some good stories about finding huge numbers in the datalogs. Even one of the guys we work with through RDL managed to hit 9700 rpm at the Otago rally.

funkytown said:

show me genuine 13k rpm logs and we\'l go from there. (on an ej).

above ^ still all motorsport examples yes.

Yes motorsport but wouldn\'t be much different with an overexhuberant driver at a trackday coming into a hairpin. If anyone manages it on the road they need to get their girlfriends head out of their lap and concentrate on the road ahead....

But either way, its still easily doable.

kamineko said:

just for lol\'s i\'ve abused my 20G around manfield on funky\'s old zerosports ecu, i chickened out past 9000rpm

haha OVER 9000!

from memory, Abdul hit 13000 rpm? something retarded. he was towed back to the pits ;p

haha, my poor old TT engine!

i shifted a bit late 3rd-4th at bout 175km/h (analog speedo and rpm were both off the clock) which to my calculations should be just over 9000rpms

funkytown said:

I don\'t think Kamineko was stating 13,000rpm as fact; so I\'m not sure what the hard on is all about.

Just out of interest, has your car seen a "closed event" since it\'s rebuild?