Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

crank pulley issue!

tydon

well i was just about to park my car up when all of a sudden i lost power steering and a lots of lights came up on me dash so i popped the bonnet to find my crank pulley had come right off and the belt was idle...

is there a reason why it came off? and could it done damage?

When these come off they often damage the keyway in the crank. If you\'re lucky it\'ll just need a new key to hold the pulley, if not, I\'m unsure of how to fix the keyway apart from replacing the crank itself.

p.s. The required torque in the crank pulley is r.f.t. But without my laptop nearby I can\'t remember the exact numbers. Pretty sure its somewhere around the top of our 1/2" drive torque wrenches range.

well.... LOL

ive put it back on and tightend the crap out of it like intensly tigthtend

got a mate to put it in 5th and hold brake in then got strongarm on it and tightened reallly really really tight it wont tighten any more without the feeling of snaping it or the strongarm so im sure its on there for good now i hope.

So... i put belt back on and started it up and took it for a drive seems to be on good hoping it wont fall off again...

i drove the car with the crank pulley off cause i wanted to get home hahah but diddnt make it very far and died in the middle of a really busy intersection in town as the lights went red hahaha was so frickin embarassing some randoms gave me a push and had to tow it home ;D

evowrx']

[quote name='Jimbob said:

haha, no pully gonna drain battery quick fast

/quote]

Not that fast. Missus drove almost couple of hours with no alt belt few months ago.

lol, sorry was just under impression it was in the dark so headlights on etc

soopersubaru']

[quote name='tydon said:

Proper torque specs for the crankshaft bolt is 130.2 ft/lbs +/-3.6ft/lbs or 126.6-133.8 ft/lbs

/quote] AND.......If you use a thread lubricant............The tensile load will also be heavier than that of a "dry" thread too!

Better than thread/stud lock goo too!

Why would you use thread lube ? this would cause overtightening and potential thread damage and or bolt failure

Spec is not with any thread lock or lube

to the OP - i suspect that if the pulley has run with the bolt loose for any length of time the crank WILL be damaged

Depending on the damage options are crank repair (can be done in place) - crank replacement ( cost 2x kidneys and a lung ) or liquid metal and bearing retainer compounds if damage only minor

fit new key and new pulley as required

also a good idea to fit new crank bolt too

I have repaired a badly damaged one, was a give it a shot, what is there to lose moment, Clamped the key with vice grips, mig welded the bugger in there, then filed a bit to clean it up, put a replacement crank pulley on and loctite the crank bolt (makes it a pain in the ass for the next person to remove but it\'s not going to come loose again)

soopersubaru']

[quote name='jost said:

I have repaired a badly damaged one, was a give it a shot, what is there to lose moment, Clamped the key with vice grips, mig welded the bugger in there, then filed a bit to clean it up, put a replacement crank pulley on and loctite the crank bolt (makes it a pain in the ass for the next person to remove but it\'s not going to come loose again)

/quote]

OMG! Typical No8 fix that infuriates the next person that has to fix..............I HOPE its YOU!!

Oh yeah whilst im at it!.....Mr Eight dollar:- Thread lube will NOT cause over tightening/ bolt failure....... Exceeding the do up torque will......

If you are one of those that does not use thread lubricant......You are NOT an engineer or a worthy mechanic!!.........Now thats just my opinion...............BUT im sure others will climb into this thread anyway!

well when it\'s a $1500 car it\'s a complete waste of time and money changing the crank or the entire motor, Even if it was a more expensive car it has to be worth trying, What\'s the worst that will happen? You may have to replace the motor. The one i repaired with welding was sent to me from the subaru dealer because the owner couldn\'t afford the $2500 they wanted to fix the car and they suggested he get me to weld it up to see if it could be saved.

As for the loctite, i put it on all crank bolts and any critical bolts that may have the potential to come loose as does every other mechanic that i know.

• Admin
 soopersubaru']

[quote name='Eight dollar said:

ummm best you read up re thread lube. .apart from that your response isnt worthy of lifting a finger

/quote]

Really?.......My understanding from working a little bit with automated tightening equipment is that the oiled or greased threads reduce the friction between the bolt and the nut so that more of the tightening torque is translated into actual bolt stretch which is what produces the clamping force that the bolt is supposed to provide.

This is correct as I understand it, however, the torque that Subaru specifies in the FSM for this bolt is for a dry thread as that\'s apparently what they use, or, they expect it will be reassembled with a dry thread.

As such, if you torqued it to the same point with a lubricated thread, you could potentially exceed either the tensile strength of the bolt itself or damage/distort the clamping surfaces. Obviously at the end of the day what matters is clamping force and torque is just what you use to achieve it but the recommended torque, to my understanding, is on a dry thread.

Thread lube you speak of - such as APR lube can increase the clamping force of a bolt up to 40% for the same torque for an oiled thread, for exactly all the reasons you mention

Doing this in a situation where the orginal machining such as a main tunnel wasnt done with the same lube will cause certain ovality in the tunnels ( proven)

Many bolts used (as Im sure you are blantantly aware) are now yeild/ or angle torqued - this is to remove the issue of different thread lubes and different "clamp" forces applied related direct to the thread and bolt head friction, and relies soley on the yeild or stretch of the bolt

I do wonder why it is that manufacturers will spec oiled/or specific lubed thread or not !!

There is always residual oil on threads - and unless they are washed bone dry.

No where did I say DRY was OK - open your eyes. My comment was to the use of thread lube! which when used in the wrong places will cause havoc

Subaru front pulleys fall off due to undertorqueing - more common on automatic versions - because "some" individuals are unable to hold the crankshaft while tightening the crank bolt - not to mention not using a torque wrench !

Before you get all Super high and mighty - try to control your pointy internet fingers by engaging your eyes first

get your facts straight - before you reply

Eight dollar said:

Thread lube you speak of - such as APR lube can increase the clamping force of a bolt up to 40% for the same torque for an oiled thread, for exactly all the reasons you mention

Doing this in a situation where the orginal machining such as a main tunnel wasnt done with the same lube will cause certain ovality in the tunnels ( proven)

Many bolts used (as Im sure you are blantantly aware) are now yeild/ or angle torqued - this is to remove the issue of different thread lubes and different "clamp" forces applied related direct to the thread and bolt head friction, and relies soley on the yeild or stretch of the bolt

I do wonder why it is that manufacturers will spec oiled/or specific lubed thread or not !!

There is always residual oil on threads - and unless they are washed bone dry.

No where did I say DRY was OK - open your eyes. My comment was to the use of thread lube! which when used in the wrong places will cause havoc

Subaru front pulleys fall off due to undertorqueing - more common on automatic versions - because "some" individuals are unable to hold the crankshaft while tightening the crank bolt - not to mention not using a torque wrench !

Before you get all Super high and mighty - try to control your pointy internet fingers by engaging your eyes first

get you facts straight - before you reply

Randomly a few engine builders prefer vaseline to arp lube...

soopersubaru said:

Ha What a joke..................CHILDISH carry on from a Kid1 BAAAWWW..........Do you really think I Give two hoots to your F***in opinion?

By the way.........So much for anonymous karma voting.

This Whole Karma carry on is just CraP!!!

99.9% of the members here live in the real world and respect that insulting people gets you nowhere ! expect more bad karma and zero repsect-lol

looks like my opinion being voiced has hit a sore point with you - sorry but I am entitled to my opinion, and if you want to get all smart then expect the same + interest in return !

take 5min - go back over this thread and honestly take a look at your posts - then question how would you respond if someone replied to you like you do to others