Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

hows many km's has your motor done

Leufkax said:

BF5 GT blew big end at 320k. Re engined and still going. Seen a courier Transit with over a million on the clock.

and it only took 3 engines and 6 gearboxes to get there :) ( notorious for destroying gear boxes :) )

Had a merc 0303 bus EX ARA that had done 900,000 km when we sold it :)

but personal vehicles

my 1990 Legacy GT done 280,000 when it blew a BEB ( over 200,000 of it was being thrashed by me then my teen age sons)

1986 Leone RX2 Coupe is at 290,000 and engine still going strong

1990 Landcruiser HZJ75 Troopy is at 440,000 km and still going strong uses no oil nor water ( will easily get to 500k )

2005 Hilux SR5 4WD 240,000 km and strong as a strong thing :) this will easily get to 400,000 km as we run Hiace vans with the same engine and they are reaching that KM now and still going great :)

87 brumby ea81 206k, original motor tired using 1litre / 1000km but still runs ok, no noises, apart from the usual tappet noise, due to previous urban ownership/use and short running. still on original clutch not slipping. a motor rebuild project in waiting . body no rust / bog :)

86 leone GL wagon 4wd ea82 360k on original motor using 1liter / 3000km in 2009 when sold it, it probably would have done well over 400k

the only thing done on it was new clutch at 250k, water pump at 200k carb service at 280k

the only electrical issues were replacing light bulbs and batteries when needed.

never had to replace any c/v joints as always replaced boots regularly when needed. and the usual cam belts etc at each 100k, tyres etc

only thing l did regularly was change the oil at 5k - 7k and look after the cooling system ie flushing it every 2 years, plus throw in a new airfilter and spark plugs ocassionally. probably the best car ever owned for longevity, minimal maintenance, cost to run etc

01 BH Outback 2.5 manual 220k ok so far touch wood, using 1 litre / 3000km

when driving taxis 95 toyota ZL hiace van 2.8 N/A diesel had done 660k on original motor due to religious servicing at 5K and hot running, but two tranmissions etc , was retired from taxing but still running when last heard of it.

In my experience kilometers done aren\'t necesarily a good guide to engine condition . it is

the type of use and treatment (servicing) and not trying to kill it.

ie thats why generally commercial/rural vehicles do bigger kms and in better condition (due to longer periods of hot running)

compared to privately owned vehicles in an urban situation doing many short trips / cold starts

the classic example to this is the difference between my brumby and leone wagon.

V9 Sti, has 176k on it at the moment, was 160k when I bought it, imported to NZ at 150k.

Still runs smooth as butter, but theres a few minor oil weeps appearing ( rocker cover gaskets as usual by the looks).

Was running 250kw ATW for 6 months on E85 but Ive since returned it to stock fuelling and running a mild tune to try and keep it reliable, now that I have another car to toy with.

Previous Subarus never really owned above 130k, had a couple of Legacy TT\'s that I owned briefly with 170ish ks, both unopened and ran mint.

Highest K\'s car Ive had was 96 DC2 Integra Type R, 230k original motor, but was getting rather smoky in the high revs !

Forester had 219k on it when i sold her, still running well, usual rocker cover gasket leak.

V7 sti at 172k, serviced every 5k in my posession, rocker cover leak going on too :(

Old family van, mitzi star wagon, we cooked the motor in it at 620k, swapped in an old nissan diesel motor (done 200 and something) and we took it around the clock, sold it at 130k after it went around.

My previous Lancaster had 114.000kms and got a "new" engine that it had 70.000kms but started with the same knocking noise and I changed for my actual Outback LL Bean Edition... this one has now 118.700kms (more than 2.000kms done it since I bought it.