Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Slotted rotors or tein lowering springs??

If you plan to go further with the suspension mods, I would save up for a set of coilovers, rather than get springs, then decide later on.

Do it once, do it right.

If these two options are what you have strictly, then I would say lowering springs.

IMO, slotted rotors do not really affect feel too much, as it depends on your pads and fluid (for high temps).

Yeah dont think im going to get slotted rotors anymore but will get some proper brake pads soon... Was just wanting to lower my car but is it worth it with springs as coilovers are way more expensive :-\

nickch said:

If you plan to go further with the suspension mods, I would save up for a set of coilovers, rather than get springs, then decide later on.

Do it once, do it right.

If these two options are what you have strictly, then I would say lowering springs.

IMO, slotted rotors do not really affect feel too much, as it depends on your pads and fluid (for high temps).

Huge read :P So pretty much if i lower my car with springs... Chop the stops off

nickch']

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1383366

Here is a really good read.

[quote name='RallyTechNZ said:

Yeah dont think im going to get slotted rotors anymore but will get some proper brake pads soon... Was just wanting to lower my car but is it worth it with springs as coilovers are way more expensive :-\

/quote]

Thats like asking do I buy a pie or coke

Different things for different reasons - only shared part is they go in your mouf

- If you already have a V8 sti to be fair most would call the stock shocks pretty capable - and a set of springs is cheap enough. If you then find you still need more you can always flick off shock/spring combo for decent $ when going to some coilovers anyway, nothing to lose

Brakes I have nothing constructive sorry, most of the internet seems to reckon they look bawse but more prone to cracking once you really lean on them a few times - I have 0 experience other than agreeing they do look bawse

Haha yeah i think i will go with springs... Just deciding which set to go with. Was thinking of maybe doing supelows in front and low at back to even out the wheel gap

Marky said:

Thats like asking do I buy a pie or coke

Different things for different reasons - only shared part is they go in your mouf

- If you already have a V8 sti to be fair most would call the stock shocks pretty capable - and a set of springs is cheap enough. If you then find you still need more you can always flick off shock/spring combo for decent $ when going to some coilovers anyway, nothing to lose

Brakes I have nothing constructive sorry, most of the internet seems to reckon they look bawse but more prone to cracking once you really lean on them a few times - I have 0 experience other than agreeing they do look bawse

• Admin

Completely stock Brembos are grouse - are you really pushing the limits of them? If it doesn\'t stop fast enough try standing on it harder. You\'ll be staggered what it takes for ABS to kick in on a GDB with decent tires.

Guest hate-evoz

No have heard horror stories about them (Precision Wheels) - Stay away. Seen them do dodgey things to cars ie. Fit uncaprive cut springs.

Go see Nick at Platinum wheels. He will sort you out and do an awesome job.

boon said:

Completely stock Brembos are grouse - are you really pushing the limits of them? If it doesn\'t stop fast enough try standing on it harder. You\'ll be staggered what it takes for ABS to kick in on a GDB with decent tires.

This, it was a weird feeling at first, but my first time on the track taught me to really stand on the pedal.

The brake pads won\'t suddenly shatter the rotors.. (unless they were already on the way to begin with).

If you come here and ask arbitrary questions about modifying your car, I promise you, that you will end up with a frankenstein piece of shit in no time.

You need to leave your car alone, drive it... figure out what it does well, and what it doesn\'t... fix it or learn to drive around it... repeat.

• General Member
 loner said:

If you come here and ask arbitrary questions about modifying your car, I promise you, that you will end up with a frankenstein piece of s*** in no time.

You need to leave your car alone, drive it... figure out what it does well, and what it doesn\'t... fix it or learn to drive around it... repeat.

This.

And above all else seat time if your tracking it is important.

Yeah guy from platinum wheels said dont do it so will just get same height both ends

GC8E2DD said:

Don\'t know if it is typical of people to run different height springs front and rear, but be careful changing ride height too much front to rear as it doesn\'t take much to change the balance of the car.

To be honest, a decent set of progressive low springs would be what i\'d be looking at. Stiffens up the ride, generally sits a bit more square to road than sagging older standard springs. Gets ~30mm drop depending on brand, which is a good compromise on cornering and capability, bearing in mind if you drop it on it\'s arse it messes up the steering geometry especially when hard cornering

RallyTechNZ']

Ok... Thanks!!

[quote name='B-MAGIC said:

No have heard horror stories about them (Precision Wheels) - Stay away. Seen them do dodgey things to cars ie. Fit uncaprive cut springs.

Go see Nick at Platinum wheels. He will sort you out and do an awesome job.

/quote]

Talk to nick and go H&R springs awesome everything

I went from stock rotors to slotted/dimpled on 2 pot gc/gf fronts with good road pads Bendix GCT front/rear and made a hell of a big difference.

Have to agree with the stand on them to find their limits brembos should be more than substantial in stock form.

Is there any point to lower your car 30mm for $500?? I gues that\'s upto me. But is 45mm going to be bad for handling or not. Will wheel people tell the truth??

kwi_fozze said:

To be honest, a decent set of progressive low springs would be what i\'d be looking at. Stiffens up the ride, generally sits a bit more square to road than sagging older standard springs. Gets ~30mm drop depending on brand, which is a good compromise on cornering and capability, bearing in mind if you drop it on it\'s arse it messes up the steering geometry especially when hard cornering

• Admin
 RallyTechNZ']

Is there any point to lower your car 30mm for $500?? I gues that\'s upto me. But is 45mm going to be bad for handling or not. Will wheel people tell the truth??

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

/quote]

No. The factory suspension is awesome. The dampers are very well matched to the springs. Most lowering springs will only make it worse.

Hmmm now I\'m stuck again :-/ any one have any rims to fill out my guards?? Lol

boon']

[quote name='kwi_fozze said:

/quote]

No. The factory suspension is awesome. The dampers are very well matched to the springs. Most lowering springs will only make it worse.