Sign in to follow this  
ReubenH

Replacing bulbs in the Air-con unit for BG/BD's

This is just a quick DIY for yah, pretty simple, follow the pictures.

ac_unit_fix-001.jpg

Right, so as usual with the centre console, start from here.

ac_unit_fix-002.jpg

And work your way forward

ac_unit_fix-003.jpg

ac_unit_fix-004.jpg

ac_unit_fix-005.jpg

ac_unit_fix-006.jpg

ac_unit_fix-007.jpg

ac_unit_fix-008.jpg

ac_unit_fix-009.jpg

This ones a pain, especially if you have the woodgrain trim bits which are brittle. Just get a flat head screwdriver in the and slowly pry it out.

ac_unit_fix-010.jpg

ac_unit_fix-011.jpg

ac_unit_fix-012.jpg

Pretty straight forward so far. Now it starts getting annoying. You need to use you small hands for this pipe, you gotta reach under and pull it off, took me atleast5 mins, cause i didn't want to brake anything. There's actually a little notch that holds the pipe on as you'll discover

ac_unit_fix-013.jpg

Then take the AC unit out, and seperate it. And ta-da, there you go, you'll see the bulbs in there. Where did i get my bulbs to replace the blown ones? Why pick-a-part of course, cheap as chups. Dunno where you get new ones.

ac_unit_fix-014.jpg

ac_unit_fix-015.jpg

Job done.

ac_unit_fix-016.jpg

ac_unit_fix-017.jpg

If I am going for stereo surround I can cheat now and start straight at the screws under ash-tray

where does the color come from, a sock over the bulb or a film on the reverse side of the buttons?

So does this mean we could change the air con display to blue as opposed to green?

Bumpity bump! Ok so my centre console is dead as a door knob :P Air con still works so I assume its just the bulbs that are blown... Well the guy at the local wreckers yard said "Nah mate, we've had lots of guys looking for those, 9/10 are already bust, best off going to get a new centre console from the subaru dealership" So where can I get some new bulbs? Are they just LEDs o actual bulbs?

250T said:

So does this mean we could change the air con display to blue as opposed to green?

I wouldn't imagine the segmented display part of it, but the buttons yes. With a bit of kiwi ingenuity and some blue or red or what ever LEDs and some resistors, it should be achievable. Little bit of modding but essentially easy with nice results.

I have done this on my BD and sometimes its easier to disconnect the hose from the floor side and leave it attached to the unit as putting that hose back on after is a absolute PAIN!

also, some of the globes from the Gen1 dash switches work just match the base colour (Brown, Grey, Black)

I changed the color of my Climate control by just changing the globe covers with covers from gen1 rear demister switches (orange)

turned out quite well. but there is no way to change the color of the display as it is sealed inside layers of glass, the closest i have done is put colored celephane over the display but it makes the display quite dark and hard to read in daylight.

slightly off topic... but wtf is that "power concent" thing in the 2nd pic?

KwS said:

slightly off topic... but wtf is that "power concent" thing in the 2nd pic?

Extra cigarette lighter/power socket I think

250T said:

I\'ve done it…it\'s possible. And I\'m hopeless at DIY lol :D