Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

K & N panel filters ?

clintondane

What filter/setup do you prefer?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What filter/setup do you prefer?

• Stock airbox with genuine/oem replacement paper element.
    • Stock airbox with oiled aftermarket performance element.
    • Stock airbox with dry aftermarket performance element.
    • Oiled foam pod filter.
    • Oiled K&N/Simota or similar pleated pod filter.
    • Dry K&N/Simota or similar pleated pod filter.
    • no filter like a bawse

boon']

[quote name='lunchie said:

The only fact here is that some subaru AFM\'s do not react well to oiled filters. That is a fact because there is simply too many examples of failures in the same situation to deny it

/quote]

Wat.

Actually what we have here is a bunch of random failures that people attributed to oiled filters while other people (such as myself) have run an oiled K&N pod for ages with an AFM without a single issue. That is barely grounds for establishing "fact"

Has anyone considered that a pretty large number of pods are completely unmounted or very poorly mounted... perhaps vibration has something to do with it.

We could do an experiment. Get a brand new AFM from Subaru. Get a can of K&N filter oil. Spray the oil into the

AFM. See if the AFM works.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D if you put that much oil on a filter then you shouldn\'t be touching a car at all.

i think most of the time people think its the afm but might change say spark plugs or a oxygen sensor at the same time as swapping the afm .

then they decide to blame the oil rather then realizing they buggerd up the whole time looking at the wrong problem

evo what poll do ya want ? ill set it up for giggles

What filter/setup do you prefer?

a) Stock airbox with genuine/oem replacement paper element.

b) Stock airbox with oiled aftermarket performance element.

c) Stock airbox with dry aftermarket performance element.

d) Oiled foam pod filter.

e) Oiled K&N/Simota or similar pleated pod filter.

f) Dry K&N/Simota or similar pleated pod filter.

Imagine all options are braced and a reputable brand.

That should cover all the sensible options.

lunchie said:

The only fact here is that some subaru AFM\'s do not react well to oiled filters. That is a fact because there is simply too many examples of failures in the same situation to deny it

I had an afm fail on a completely standard intake setup. What correlation do you want to derive from that fact :P

I\'ve heard of heaps of other people with the same situation.

Also my engines only blow up when I put petrol in the tank. I can take from that fact, that fuel is the only cause of big end bearing failure......

Man made global warming.

loner said:

So you agree that oil can screw the AFM... we\'re just disagreeing on how much.

why would you spay it on it :D you apply a film to the filter material not to a afm

i dont agree (that oil you put on the filter correctly will stuff it) but if you spray it directly on it then you need your head checked

rex-leggy']

[quote name='loner said:

/quote]

why would you spay it on it :D you apply a film to the filter material not to a afm

i dont agree (that oil you put on the filter correctly will stuff it) but if you spray it directly on it then you need your head checked

Or if you don\'t follow the instructions you can over oil the filter and run the risk of excess oil blowing through the filter.

Koom']

[quote name='loner said:

/quote]

Or if you don\'t follow the instructions you can over oil the filter and run the risk of excess oil blowing through the filter.

My point, is that it is within the realms of possibility that an oiled filter can screw the AFM. You can\'t deny that,

then call yourself a logical or reasonable person.

loner']

[quote name='loner said:

/quote]

My point, is that it is within the realms of possibility that an oiled filter can screw the AFM. You can\'t deny that,

then call yourself a logical or reasonable person.

I wouldn\'t deny that it is indeed a possibility. In all likelihood, it appears that it is likely a common cause. But then on the other hand, I\'ve never seen proof that they are definitely going to kill an afm and that if it doesn\'t, then you\'re in the 1%.

There\'s many things that can be highly detrimental to our cars if incorrectly used. Boost control being another one that comes to mind. But it\'s all managed risk IMO. I personally prefer washable filters because I get sick of buying paper ones all the time and I generally just default to k&n. Probably due to marketing and ease of finding them in stock locally.

Foam filters are the way, reusable and no effort required to clean them

Just throw them in the washing machine with a load and afterwards hang it on the line to dry :D

I also see it from the perspective of if my air filter falls apart, what would I prefer going through my turbo?

evowrx said:

I would get sick of reoiling/washing and prefer to spend the $10 on the OEM replacement every 20thou or so. But thats just me and I run a pleated dry pod without an airbox lol.

At least build a heat shield for it!!

I like the satisfaction of minor maintenance jobs. Same as spending ten minutes scrubbing the inside of the wheels to get the last of the brake dust off.

As for the big maintenance jobs, .... Meh haha

Koom']

[quote name='evowrx said:

I would get sick of reoiling/washing and prefer to spend the $10 on the OEM replacement every 20thou or so. But thats just me and I run a pleated dry pod without an airbox lol.

/quote]

At least build a heat shield for it!!

I like the satisfaction of minor maintenance jobs. Same as spending ten minutes scrubbing the inside of the wheels to get the last of the brake dust off.

As for the big maintenance jobs, .... Meh haha

Or getting it going even... :P

Will build a boxish creation someday I have the alu sheet for it put aside. Motivation is the lacking ingredient. Feeds from the guard anyway and if I went to the drags pulling the lights easy enough.

evowrx']

[quote name='evowrx said:

Or getting it going even... :P

/quote]

Today got it to 96.46% compete. Nearly fitted up the k&n pod filter but got sidetracked...

Warrants another annual pic.

Done in the other thread just now.

Rego still has 2009 on it :\'(

I voted no filter like a hawse because I\'m an egg.

However I prefer stock air box + OEM/other filter. I had a pod filter with a head shield. But the induction noise was far too loud for my liking after a year. I cut up my intake resonator so I still get a tiny amount of noise.

clintondane said:

So how exactly does one go about washing a K&N filter and oiling it?

After you clean it oil the dirty side and allow the oil to wick through..

FWIW i personally find K&N panel filter a really nice snug fit and they dont move around when your trying to clip the top back on ike others.

I think you also have to look at material used as well., cotton vs foam pod.. IMO would say the oiled foam would release more oil particles than oiled cotton.

hijacka']

[quote name='clintondane said:

So how exactly does one go about washing a K&N filter and oiling it?

/quote]

After you clean it oil the dirty side and allow the oil to wick through..

FWIW i personally find K&N panel filter a really nice snug fit and they dont move around when your trying to clip the top back on ike others.

I think you also have to look at material used as well., cotton vs foam pod.. IMO would say the oiled foam would release more oil particles than oiled cotton.

Just with respect to the "fit" of the K&N panel filter. Be sure that the top and bottom halves of the "box" are squeezing the rubber seal correctly. :)

I have found that the OEM retaining "nuts"for re-securing the top on early models restricts how close each half closes on the other. This leads to an unseen gap for dust to get around.

I found it after a rally. Obvious signs of dust getting past. I lightly sprayed the inside top cover with WD40 so there was evidence of where it was getting in. :(

Removed and shortened up the retaining nuts and now dust stays on the correct side! ;):D

Im not sure about the more modern "clip" type air box. Probably worth a check though.

Clean with any degreaser then wash out and AIR dry. ONLY use air cleaner oil to respray "lightly" then re air dry for 24 hours to minimise any residue draw off. Simple/cheap/The best! ;D ;D

Never seen dust south of the K&N but often see a light coat south of the paper OR dry type filters. Like women really Wet is best!! ;D ;D ;D