Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Exhaust Leak - Legacy RS (WOF FAIL)

Terroth

Bit about the car. Stock Legacy RS 1996, Twin turbo, no exhaust modifications at all.

So I went for a WOF today at VINZ and failed on numerous little things.

However the car failed on an exhaust leak, the only problem is, the testing agent didn\'t and couldn\'t point out where the leak was.

Can anyone tell me how I can be failed on a leak that even the testing agent couldn\'t pin point? He simply said to me "You have an exhaust leak somewhere in the front, its hard to see on these kinds of car, it could be the passenger side, I don\'t know."

What kind of equipment do they use when finding these leaks, and how could he have found a leak and not be able to tell me where it is? I\'ve done some tests under the car, checking to see if any air is escaping in spots and can\'t find shit. Although it does sound as though the passenger side of the car is louder under the hood it is extremely marginal and hard to tell.

Anyone have any idea\'s as to what to do? Should I take it to an exhaust place? Take it back and hope I get a different testing agent who wont fail me on it?

The exhaust is completely stock, so sound is surely not an issue either.

Get someone to hold a bunched up rag over the exhaust tip, to create pressure in the exhaust. The leak will hiss, it\'s probably leaking under the engine cover and they couldn\'t see it.

Edit: You will need to find the hole and get it welded/fixed, any wof place will fail it.

lol the "test" is usually the testers foot over the tail pipe .

yeah jam up the end and start listening . should be pretty easy to find

go back at mid day on saturday with your fingers filthy and a tube of maniseal on the passengers foot well and say it was the "gasket in the primary up pipe "

Roo']

[quote name='lachlan said:

go back at mid day on saturday with your fingers filthy and a tube of maniseal on the passengers foot well and say it was the "gasket in the primary up pipe "

/quote]

Works every time

Or you could actually fix your car and run it at WOF spec all the time Like most of do and stop trying to get around the system because

a/you are to farken lazy

b/you are to farken stupid

c/you are to farken tight

fix it right the first time, dont micky mouse it, do it once do it right

haha Roo you gota watch out what you say on this forum some people have a carrot up their bum 24/7..if you haven\'t got the money just go to another WOF shop and then fix the exhaust leak when you have the money.better then getting fines for no WOF then youll never be able to afford to fix the leak :P

Terroth said:

Got a quote from Magoo, they say its the Front Flexi pipe, $400 to fix, $90 for parts rest is labour.

What are my choices here, am I able to do it myself, can I generally just seal it / cover it up or would it have to be replaced?

The labour is so high because they have to remove your downpipe to fit a new flexi, if you take the downpipe off yourself then take it in they should only charge you 1hr labour.

Edit: I recently took my primary downpipe off and had the cat cut out then refitted myself, only cost $110.

It\'s a PITA job and can take a fair while if bolts shear off ect. How ever mostly anyone with a decent tool set and the ability to smah nuts off when they round should be able to do the job. If it\'s just the front flex (in the manifold) then it\'s piss easy to repair

• Admin
 We are borg']

/quote]

Works every time

Or you could actually fix your car and run it at WOF spec all the time Like most of do and stop trying to get around the system because

a/you are to farken lazy

Some of the VTNZ guys are massive anuses though.

The Mrs made the error of taking her Mistral to one, it came back failed on rear brake balance.

Took it and had it adjusted, was completely sweet, took it back to VTNZ and they failed it again on the same thing.

Took it to a garage, pass, thank you have a nice day.

boon']

/quote]

Works every time

a/you are to farken lazy

Some of the VTNZ guys are massive anuses though.

The Mrs made the error of taking her Mistral to one, it came back failed on rear brake balance.

Took it and had it adjusted, was completely sweet, took it back to VTNZ and they failed it again on the same thing.

Took it to a garage, pass, thank you have a nice day.

you are not incorrect about VTNZ, I deal with them all the time as they do my COF\'s most are GC\'s though.

I must ask how you deemed your Partners Mistral brakes as being good and how the Garage tested them and deemed them safe .

The rollers at VTNZ dont lie so if there was an imbalance on the rollers then there will be an imbalance