Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Aftermarket ECU Discussion ( sensor setup ect. )

Rosssub']

[quote name='Johnnynz said:

Mine is just tapped into my IC on the drivers side. I haven\'t had any issues with it so far. That has included trackdays and in town driving and town to town trips.

/quote]

I just drilled an 8.0mm hole, into the Left End/Tank of a spare TMIC. Then Tapped a 3/8" NPT Thread. Opposite side from Turbo and Close to Engine Loom Points. Also right in Engine Bay Draft:

TMIC_Mounted_Link_IAT_Sensor_001.jpg

This is now my Link IAT Sensor Location:

TMIC_Mounted_Link_IAT_Sensor_002.jpg

That positition won\'t work out for you, Jas had issues reading air temps in a similar position but tapped in to the y pipe, Where you have it mounted is (pre) cooled air, you want to mount it on the other side of the tmic.

This is where i placed mine,bit rough atm as im still tweaking it but it works ;), its v7sti intercooler in a v4 now but i had it mounted in the same position with the factory v4 tmic after it failed in the y-pipe i\'m sure he\'ll confirm that story.

001_zps8eb0b515.jpg

• Admin

Yup, IAT sensor has to go on the cold side... or it\'ll run lean as buggery all the time because the air will actually be cooler/denser than the IAT is seeing. It\'ll also pull timing depending how your tune is set up.

As close to the throttle-body as possible folks!

On a side-note, the "Link" IAT sensors with the 1/8th BSP thread suck large balls, they are fragile as. I went and snarfed a couple of sensors from GM motors at Pickapart - some of the 4\'s and some of the V6\'s have them - the Link sensor uses the GM calibration curve anyway and the sensors are a. large and b. made of brass instead of plastic. Plus you just whip 8" of wire off with the plug and you get a ready made splice-in loom. Works well.

Marky']

Just thinking re this - wouldn\'t it make more sense to be on the cold side of the intercooler? There you\'ll be seeing some nice 100 degree plus intake temps, might throw things out a touch ;D

That positition won\'t work out for you, Jas had issues reading air temps in a similar position but tapped in to the y pipe, Where you have it mounted is (pre) cooled air, you want to mount it on the other side of the tmic.

This is where i placed mine,bit rough atm as im still tweaking it but it works ;), its v7sti intercooler in a v4 now but i had it mounted in the same position with the factory v4 tmic after it failed in the y-pipe i\'m sure he\'ll confirm that story.

[quote name='boon said:

Yup, IAT sensor has to go on the cold side... or it\'ll run lean as buggery all the time because the air will actually be cooler/denser than the IAT is seeing. It\'ll also pull timing depending how your tune is set up.

As close to the throttle-body as possible folks!

Done, thank you. ;) I didn\'t consider the Hot Side/Cold Side thing ;D

OEM Oil Switch:

Oil_Pressure_003.jpg

Link Oil Temp Sensor and Oil Pressure Sensor, both 3/8" fittings:

%21BZ+FzegCGk~$%28KGrHgoH-EYEjlLl0H2jBKpimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwnugMj_0lJnkP-5jtvB-

OEM Oil Switch removed. Showing OEM 3/8" Oil Switch Adaptor:

Oil_Pressure_004.jpg

Rear Crank Main Oil Gallery, Blank/Inspection Bolt removed, OEM Oil Switch fitted. Linked directly to the Crank Main Oil Gallery. Leaving OEM Front Oil 3/8" Port for the Link Oil Temp Sensor:

Oil_Pressure_005.jpg

Block now ready for Link Oil Temp & Link Oil Pressure Sensors, both 3/8":

Oil_Pressure_008.jpg

Also another Oil Pressure Port on the Left Side of Block. Also connected directly at Crank Main Oil Gallery:

Oil_Sensor_options_002.jpg

Oil Switch fitted into Left Oil Gallery, Oil Temp into Rear Oil Gallery, front OEM Oil Gallery left spare:

Oil_Sensor_options_003.jpg

Leaving the Oil Filter/Cooler Adapter Plate, free for an Oil Cooler.

• 2 weeks later...

My original BH5B TT O2 Sensor, in Left Bank Header:

Water_Pump_023.jpg

Version 8 STI Down Pipe for my conversion, with OEM Version 8 O2 Sensor:

O2_Change_001.jpg

BH5B (Version 5-6 STI), next to the Version 8 STI:

O2_Change_002.jpg

Version 5-6 STI O2 Sensor installed in my new DP. Ready for the J2 Version 5 STI ECU:

O2_Change_003.jpg

My new Headers have no O2 Port and I don\'t want to start drilling holes.

Temps will be higher on the Sensor, but I\'m guessing AFR readings would still be the same? Maybe shorter Sensor life? :-\

• 4 weeks later...
 Rosssub said:

OEM Oil Switch:

Oil_Pressure_003.jpg

Link Oil Temp Sensor and Oil Pressure Sensor, both 3/8" fittings:

%21BZ+FzegCGk~$%28KGrHgoH-EYEjlLl0H2jBKpimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwnugMj_0lJnkP-5jtvB-

OEM Oil Switch removed. Showing OEM 3/8" Oil Switch Adaptor:

Oil_Pressure_004.jpg

Rear Crank Main Oil Gallery, Blank/Inspection Bolt removed, OEM Oil Switch fitted. Linked directly to the Crank Main Oil Gallery. Leaving OEM Front Oil 3/8" Port for the Link Oil Temp Sensor:

Oil_Pressure_005.jpg

Block now ready for Link Oil Temp & Link Oil Pressure Sensors, both 3/8":

Oil_Pressure_008.jpg

Oil gallery sizes to sensor ports:

oil_galleries_001.jpg

You can see the 10mm gallery branching off, just below the sensor port:

Oil_Pressure_004.jpg