Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How to drift B4 Legacy? Understeer?? Handling??

Guest Eastwolf

Guest Eastwolf

Naughty, Naughty.

I've seen plenty of youtube action on Youtube on Wrx's drifting... can their larger (legacy) counterparts do it?

I have stock EJ20TT one that's been lowered. Is there enough power to do it in the wet?

Or do I need to resort to grass fields/sand??? I a appreciate that this is somewhat of an immature thread but it's been plaging my mind. ???

Secondly, there have been a couple instances when in the wet my car understeers.. Do B4's have this tendency? Is the power 50/50 split? or biased to the front?

Appreciate comments please.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest keltik

Muahaha this is where the H6 TORQUE helps out.

Getting too excited while taking right turns out of intersections results in some sideways dry or wet. No waiting for the secondary to spool up.

On the track, just lifting off the gas and flicking the car into a corner is enough to get my back end to step out. Flooring the gas and winding on some opposite turn keeps it sideways untill i run out of power to keep the wheels spinning.

I think the drifts are a LOT harder to catch in these than with rear wheel drive cars. Easy to start when youve got a feel for it but still hard to go straight afterwards. Compared to the only RWD car ive played in being a RX8 which was just simple.

The VDC and H6 models send 65% power to the rear wheels so they slide out even easier

Its best to practice in a secluded abandoned spot as drifting on the street will attract cozzers in no time. Also if you do it on the road - be prepared to F it up and slam into curbs etc.

Guest boostin

Interesting. My wagon has a habit of oversteer. I find I just keep the boot up it, hook 2nd and it eventually gets traction and steers out ok.

How bad is the VOD in your car? If its bad enough it may cause traction, which in a normal world is good, but you don't want it, cos the secondary is about to kick in and the real fun will start. ;D

pl0x']

[quote name='RSB said:

50/50 split.

Bigger rear swaybar and dcent strut braces will help with understeer. Good sticky tyres first though.

/quote]

Really? i thought it was 36-64 to the front?

ive heard the manuals are 50/50 and the autos are around that?

"The manual transmission Legacies and Imprezas use a full time system that is split 50-50 with viscous couplings for limiting slip. In the automatic transmission versions, however, the system is a part time, computer controlled, automatically engaging system in some models and a full time uneven torque split with computer controlled locking in other models."

Quoting a Subaru Manual.

I would say that possibly with the exception of the Evo's active yaw control system, most/if not all AWDs will exhibit understeer unless you give it the old 'scandinavian flick' which creates oversteer through weight transfer.

Seriously though - Sub's aren't designed to be drifters and especially not on the street. If you want to do trackdays and have an awesome handling machine - buy a Suuby. If you want to drift around a track, buy a Silvia. I've driven both and each has its own advantages. :)

Install Adjustable Coilovers with Extra Heavy Duty Springs.

Wind the dampers up to full hard.

Maybe dial in some extra camber in the front and toe out the rear a bit plus no rear camber.

Disconnect front swaybar.

Update Life Insurance.

Clean side windows.

Hang on.

Guest loren
 Koom said:

Install Adjustable Coilovers with Extra Heavy Duty Springs.

Wind the dampers up to full hard.

Maybe dial in some extra camber in the front and toe out the rear a bit plus no rear camber.

Disconnect front swaybar.

Update Life Insurance.

Clean side windows.

Hang on.

you forgot:-

Replace rear wheels with space savers.

Pump rear tyres up to 60 PSI.

arnt space savers at like 60PSI any way? im sure mine was something high like that (said on the side, didnt pump up that much myself)

-smurff

Guest loren
 smurff said:

arnt space savers at like 60PSI any way? im sure mine was something high like that (said on the side, didnt pump up that much myself)

-smurff

I wondered about that after posting. I just picked a really high sounding number. make it 100 PSI.

My old B4 was a real understeerer, I think thats just the way they're set-up - to be a more predictable(safe) road car. In saying that though a couple of friends have the wagon model and they seem to step out the back end much easier.