Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

EJ22 N/A block getting boosted

ReubenH

reuben loves hydraulic, its what makes a first gen and thats what he wants. And they are hand ported and polished by shinji from subaru. he engraved his name on each head, kinda like a very stealth level tagging. TRV workers used to do it all the time, Timmah still does this traditions to cars as i have been finding little draws in and under things for almost a year.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kamineko said:
Whats up with the rs-ra heads? Apart from the bling covers wont the ttech be superseded by a shim over 20G head?

The only 20G's with shim are V2 STi RA, you should know this one Nick! And you should also know how rare they are. If I could have a set of those I'd jump on em, but as Dave is finding out, not so easy to find parts for them, he's had to find two sets of heads to bung together to make one, as you literally can not get parts like valves.

So hydraulic it is, it's all about the sound, I want the purest 20G sound, it's different to the later heads, and if you can't decern that difference in note, you're missing out :(. This BC build is only slightly guided by me, I have general ideas of what I want, like pre 96 turbo, and I just take what opportunities arise, and let the car decide the final product. I didn't intend on a 2.2, I always was going to do that for Beast, but for Blighter I didn't care. Then a working 2.2 block appeared in front of me, and I had to say yes. I was going to bung anyhydraulic turbo heads on, then these RS-RA ones popped up, perfect. Port and polished will be a nice second best to STi-RA.

If you have a set of STi RA heads that are good, and going for cheap btw, I am listening.

No one has cheap sti ra heads reubs, if they are selling them i already have a bid on them all already :P. But yeah lets hope that it all works out with these heads and lowers the compression to what you want.

I understand what you mean by that 20g sound and it is amazing. My v4 doesnt sound like it and its kinda sad but its still fun, thats why i went out and got another first gen and am making this specific engine for it, not to the same extent as you but you know what i mean.

Not to the same extent? You're building a bloody V2 STi RA motor from the ground up, complete with manifold and ECU, all I'm doing is slapping a 22 between some turbo heads lol.

Will be interesting to see what each project goes like, 22 on a link vs the last hurrah of the 20G, making practically modern STi power factory back in 95...

im in a wagon tho so that adds coolness to the race, but race on, at a race track in a safe and mature environment, I say teretonga in a year, you vs me 2 laps ill even bring some 98 down for you

Edited by DacerX

Ah yes, I forget about those smooth 20G's. Yeah, haven't really been considering those, I put them in a different class really, when the G was used as the designator for the lower power higher comp K's.

And you love it dave, tell me you wont own another BC.

DacerX said:

I understand what you mean by that 20g sound and it is amazing. My v4 doesnt sound like it and its kinda sad but its still fun, thats why i went out and got another first gen and am making this specific engine for it, not to the same extent as you but you know what i mean.

Half the sound is due to the different lengths on the cast elbows on the exhaust manifold. I put some on my gtb to make it sound similar to my rs back when that was mostly standard. The rest of the sound is likely from cam timing/tuning differences between the old heads and the tt shim over head I reckon.

That plus we used to be able to get away with running a 3" pipe from the turbo to the bumper without caring about noise levels. Rear seat passengers hated it though :)

Koom said:
Half the sound is due to the different lengths on the cast elbows on the exhaust manifold. I put some on my gtb to make it sound similar to my rs back when that was mostly standard. The rest of the sound is likely from cam timing/tuning differences between the old heads and the tt shim over head I reckon.

That plus we used to be able to get away with running a 3" pipe from the turbo to the bumper without caring about noise levels. Rear seat passengers hated it though :)

So early are different to later s/s collectors as well as having o2 port?

Koom said:

I hate having loud cars now, i think im getting old

evowrx']So early are different to later s/s collectors as well as having o2 port?

Yeah the collectors on the early ones are quite different lengths (and even more unequal). They look the same at a distance but it becomes apparent when you put them side by side.

[quote name='DacerX said:

I hate having loud cars now, i think im getting old

Same. My RS is barely louder than my BMW these days. Took a few noise infringements before I got it much quieter than it was though to be honest.

Edited by Koom

Koom said:
Just building up the tension before the anti-climax...

Long dramatic pause (of 5 years)....

In "on topic" news;

Rods are better priced on www.importperformanceparts.com than staparts. About $320usd for a set. Cheaper again on ebay at $320nzd plus $30 ish for shipping. But still extra cost that may not be worth it for what Reuben is looking to achieve?

Is this the site you're meaning? http://www.importperformanceparts.net/

Man that is cheap, but not as cheap as me! :D

I did but v2 WRX RA headers on beast, and he does sound good for it, even beast is closer to that RS noise I love than say, my mates ol V6 STi. I have seen the difference in the headers between v6 and some early headers too, it's very apparent when side by side.

For anyone wondering about the inspiration Behind sticking with the old tech, this vid is one of the larger inspirations, as are a host of other vids, and driving many loud first gens. Def going 2.5" turbo back for this one, something simple :D simple sounds good!

Oh yesh..... the old legacy sound was what got me hooked... i knew the newer ones didnt sound quite as good as the old legacys, thought it was me being me, but different shape headers? Hmmmm...

If i had have known when i still had my v7...

2.2 turbo... hmmm i imagine if it works well there may be a bit of a line for the parts list!!!