Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

1.5 Way LSD

lowandy

They are better than the factory R160 LSD by miles. The factory R160 LSD isn't even plated it's a viscous LSD,

so it actually useless for racing. The R180 LSD is plated but not as configurable as a cusco... though you can

by parts to modify it's behaviour.

Edited by loner

What do you want to use the diff for though? As it is only really of benefit if you are going racing.. On a street car I believe you wouldn't get value for money.

If you don't want to buy new, you can get the factory R160 plate one from an RA, although I think they are pretty rare and if memory serves me right, only come in 3.9 ratio. As Loren has mentioned for the R180 factory plate LSD, isn't as aggressive as aftermarket, but still better than sh*tty viscous and I would expect the R160 one would be the same.

Otherwise, try calling workshops that work on rally/race cars and see if you can find someone with one they are willing to sell.

Munkvy said:
What do you want to use the diff for though? As it is only really of benefit if you are going racing.. On a street car I believe you wouldn't get value for money.

If you don't want to buy new, you can get the factory R160 plate one from an RA, although I think they are pretty rare and if memory serves me right, only come in 3.9 ratio. As Loren has mentioned for the R180 factory plate LSD, isn't as aggressive as aftermarket, but still better than sh*tty viscous and I would expect the R160 one would be the same.

Otherwise, try calling workshops that work on rally/race cars and see if you can find someone with one they are willing to sell.

I run a KAZZ front diff which is same thing different manufacturer. it pops and bangs and brilliant for rallying, but agree is fairly aggressive for street use. http://www.kaazusa.com/ its cheaper than the cusco im pretty sure, there are a couple of NZ distributors that can get them from what i know, i got mine with the rally car so not 100 sure :)

In the rear i run the factory r160 plate style diff, if i jack the car up and turn one wheel forwards the other 3 all turn forwards so everything is pretty tight haha. I have 4.1 rear plate diff, plus a spare that is 4.1(not selling sorry) so not sure if i just have 2 that happen to be swapped or if you can get them in 4.1 factory, but i had a 3.9 ages ago that i sold so they are arround just have to keep your eyes open

• Admin
 Munkvy said:

I have a STI Group N plate R180 in mine and it is absolutely wonderful on a windy road with a less than perfect surface... combined with a hefty rear swaybar it makes the car very nicely balanced when you give it a bit of jandle out of the corner.

A word of warning though about grunty plate diffs, they need servicing regularly, mine is probably less than 20000km old and it needs attention.

boon said:
I have a STI Group N plate R180 in mine and it is absolutely wonderful on a windy road with a less than perfect surface... combined with a hefty rear swaybar it makes the car very nicely balanced when you give it a bit of jandle out of the corner.

A word of warning though about grunty plate diffs, they need servicing regularly, mine is probably less than 20000km old and it needs attention.

How did you find that compared to a viscous though or the non-Group N R180? That is often the issue, you can't tell a huge difference on the road compared to factory parts.

We run cusco diffs front and rear in the rally car, being a race car the diffs and gearbox get rebuild every 5000km or so but they knackered by then. At slow speeds everything binds up and is hopeless in car parks etc.

Ideally just looking to increase traction and also be able to control the slide if the back kicks out. Havent had much luck with standard subaru lsds so looking to go aftermarket.

R160 so can just buy the lsd unit and put my 3.9 crownwheel on it.

Not really wanting it to be fully locked but somewhere around the 60-70% mark.

What would your guesses be for how many kms it can go before a full tear down and rebuild?

Just looking to do the rear diff and im not interested in pulling apart the gearbox just yet to swap diffs.

Thanks for your replys

It depends how many corners you go round. Avoid round-a-bouts. But seriously there are too many variables to estimate milage. Depends on your breakaway torque, ramp angles, oil used, driving style.

Edited by loner

• Admin
 Munkvy said:
How did you find that compared to a viscous though or the non-Group N R180? That is often the issue, you can't tell a huge difference on the road compared to factory parts.

I've only driven it with the viscous R180 prior to this diff.

It's a completely different animal, if you get your foot up it mid corner it is much more pivoty if that makes sense, as in it tries to drive the car much straighter than the viscous one.

boon said:
I've only driven it with the viscous R180 prior to this diff.

It's a completely different animal, if you get your foot up it mid corner it is much more pivoty if that makes sense, as in it tries to drive the car much straighter than the viscous one.

There is no such thing as a viscous r180. They are all plated... just configured to have a low break away torque and they have mild ramps/cams.

Yeah Loren, unfortunately there are viscous R180s floating around - I discovered this after buying an R180 from a Ver. 7 (when I put the 6 speed in my car), and wondering why it was real sh*t lol!!! I ended up using the 3.9 CWP from that diff and swapping it onto my original (4.44) R180, then while it was apart set it up with some thicker plates to tighten it up.

• Admin
 loner said:
There is no such thing as a viscous r180. They are all plated... just configured to have a low break away torque and they have mild ramps/cams.

Every STI V7 onwards has a viscous R180 ;) I'd say they're way way more common than the plate ones actually.....

boon said:
Every STI V7 onwards has a viscous R180 ;) I'd say they're way way more common than the plate ones actually.....

I generally make the mistake of thinking that GC8s are the only WRX in existence... so with that in mind I was right :)

• Admin
 GC8E2DD said:
Hang on, are you saying every 3.9 STi R180 after 2001 is viscous? RAs, RA-Rs, Spec Cs, S20*, V-Limiteds, Prodrives, the lot?!

Don't know about the tasty special ones. But the vanilla STI, yes, all viscous. As I understand it a plate late-model R180 is a bloody rare thing.

• Admin
 GC8E2DD said:
Lame!

Correct! To be fair, it fits with the rest of the car... heavier, softer, quieter.. a bit more refined.

Firm suspension + pillowball mounts + Nolathane + a plate diff and you start to get back some of the rawness of the GC8 :)