Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Which Legacy to get........

With less than 2 weeks now until I move down to Auckland, I'm starting to look at cars seriously. I've kinda narrowed down my choices, but wanted to get some of your opinions.

Budget: $15,000 max (this needs to include everything: reg + wof, alarm/immobiliser, checking up on the car, etc.; I'll start my negotiations probably around $2-4k under the listed price)

My preferences:

- Must be manual and turbo :)

- 1999 or newer Legacy models (the newer, probably the better. But as with any old cars, the condition of the car is possibly more important than the age)

- Leather interior (will be driving clients around, need the interior to look good; only exception to this would possibly be if I get the 03 or newer GT models)

- Less than 120,000km (if between 90,000km - 110,000km, need to make sure the car has had its 100,000km service done, or need to budget $2,000 for it)

- If possible, silver, dk blue, or black color (need somewhat of a pleasant/tame color so that it's not screaming at my clients when they see the car)

- Car's location in Auckland if possible (will be living with the in-laws, would rather not have to trouble them to drive me around for hours)

With those in mind, I've narrowed down my choices. I left off some cars that are out there due to several reasons, like dodginess of the seller, car getting lowered (and without certification), RFRB body kit, etc. Here are my top picks:

2002 Legacy B4 Blitzen | Listed price: $14,995

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Legacy/auction-229945518.htm

Pros: Leather seats, 82km, in Auckland, 2002 Blitzen (being Blitzen is a major plus in the looks department for me), someone from another thread mentioned having test-driven this and that it was in good condition

Cons: Listed price is right at the maximum budget which means will need to knock off several thousand off the price to afford reg/wof/etc, red color

Note: Comparable to the 2002 RSK below, but this one's red (somewhat bad, but not nearly as bad as needing 100km service)

2002 Legacy B4 RSK | Listed price: $14,990

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Legacy/auction-238351719.htm

Pros: Leather seats, 2002, black color

Cons: Listed price is right at the maximum budget which means will need to knock off several thousand off the price to afford reg/wof/etc, 89km means major service is needed, 2-3 hours away from Auckland

Note: Comparable to the Blitzen above, but this one is black (which is good) and needs 100,000km service (which is bad)

1999 Legacy B4 RSK | Listed price: $11,995

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Legacy/auction-202689042.htm

Pros: Leather seats, great cheap listed price, in Auckland, silver color

Cons: 1999 model means it's the earliest version of these cars where the engine isn't quite as optimized yet, 107km and hasn't had service (was offered $12k including a 100,000km service by the dealer, but I don't know if I can trust the dealer to do a good job on a 100,000km service; should I get it done on my own, or take him up on it?)

Note: This car is similar to the 2000 RSK below, and it's $2k cheaper (which is good)

2000 Legacy B4 RSK | Listed price: $13,950

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Legacy/auction-203722421.htm

Pros: Leather seats, in Auckland, dk blue color

Cons: 2000 model (non-facelift I think) means the engine isn't quite as optimized, 95km and hasn't had service

Note: This car is simiar to the 1999 RSK above, and it's $2k more expensive, but it's been on the lot since last December, so can possibly get it for basically the same price as the above car; just another possible option

2003 Legacy B4 GT B-spec | Listed price: $16,250 (I'm totally just dreaming about this one)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Legacy/auction-239474376.htm

Pros: Everything

Cons: Being a private sale, getting it down to under $15k is unlikely. Not hopeful, but keeping an eye on it anyway.

Some final thoughts:

I think any of these will be fine. I'd just like to hear some opinions on whether or not the differences between a 1999 model and a 2002 model are worth worrying over, and if using a dealership to do the 100,000km service is a good/bad idea. Other than that, I think most of the cons listed above are minor issues. I just wanna double-check and make sure I'm not overlooking anything major that you guys might think of. And if you guys have your preferences, let me know :)

the first one, the red one, i bought my subaru from them. . . found they were horrible to deal with. car was nice.

i blew the gear box 4 months later. . . i put it down to my driving not poor condition at sale

you could probly get all the sellers to drop there price. . . dont tell them how much you want to spend and push them hehehe

but buy the 2003, then give it to me :D :D there nice looking cars :P

-smurff

pl0x said:

why are the early (1999) legacys engines not optimized?

Just what I've heard. I think it's very minor differences? I'm not really sure if it even matters, which is why I was asking too :)

unless you are set on a BE... there is a newer model in Te Awamutu going for 14,500... 2003... low kms... if you are willing to look at it, hamilton is at most 120km from auckland.. which isn't a big deal... ( i travelled all the way to Rodney to buy my Bh5 gt-vdc )

and there is a wholesaler who can get you the car REALLY cheap in hamilton, and they are good, i bought the family Windom from them http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Legacy/auction-217454235.htm - BP wagon... 113k miles...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Legacy/auction-239392940.htm - 2003 Legacy GT call them, negotiate from 10k..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/legacy/auction-237079316.htm 2004 B4 $14500

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/legacy/auction-238199744.htm 2004 b4 $14900

oh shoot, you wanted a manual... and a turbo... otherwise

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Subaru/Legacy/auction-221401429.htm 03 2.0r,,, :(

Dave Allen motors... http://daveallenmotors.co.nz/details.asp?vehicle_id=761414 - again.. i am not connected to them other than being an extremely happy former customer...

IDEAL Cars in hamilton lovely Blitzenhttp://www.idealcars.co.nz/the5thdimension/vehiclelistings.asp?page_size=1&current_page=31&manufacturer=All Manufacturers&model=All Models&o=vehicles.manufacturer ASC,vehicles.model ASC,vehicles.year ASC,vehicles.listing_price ASC

carjam report http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=eth576

lord_jagganath said:
oh shoot, you wanted a manual... and a turbo...

Yeah, I went through trademe, autotrader, and several other sites to narrow down the list.

Getting a GT would be nice, but I don't wanna rely on one listing and put all my hopes on it, especially since they're asking for $16250. If that was a dealer, I'd feel confident bout being able to get a lower price, but with private sellers, it might be a bit tough. Would be nice if I could just email them. Stupid trademe...

lord_jagganath said:

i msged the trader to test his price... and will wait.. 2nd.. what about just ordering your own from japan (if you haven't thought about it... if you have then ignore me)

Did you msg them through txt I take it? I didn't see an email address, and I can't txt from the US. Would make it much easier if TM actually allowed me to have an account. What did you msg him?

I've been looking into buying it from Japan as well actually :) I'm looking at japaneseusedcars.com and carwebs.co.nz in case I can find a good deal through there. I've even looked up car rentals that I can use until the car arrives should I choose to go that route. Would prefer to just not go through such a hassle unless I have to, but I'm definitely looking into it :)

You're limiting yourself. A car 10 years old in New Zealand is still considered quite new.

Going with what I read on US based forums, you are going to be quite suprised when you see how many cars in NZ are in their double digits and in good condition, thanks to our 6 monthly mandatory safety inspections.

Hell even your average 20 year old Legacy can hold its own against the VTNZ inspector.

DRFVDR said:

mmmm nice car BUT only 2 new tyres (would suspect it now has centre diff damage)

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a "centre diff damage", and why do you suspect it?

Guest Eastwolf

Cool cars.

Generally, with cars from dealers,......

Transactions never occur at ticket price.

Be aggressive mate.

Car dealers are struggling at the moment. Power is in hands of the buyer.

Cash offers don't swing them too much these days as they get kick backs/commissions on finance deals.

Just a note (you may have already noticed) but some B4's have a bolt on standard front kit (like a chin) that is some 5cm lower/cooler. This may come at a premium as they make the standard B4's look that little bit more attractive.

Happy shopping :)

Grifter730']

[quote name='DRFVDR said:

mmmm nice car BUT only 2 new tyres (would suspect it now has centre diff damage)

/quote]

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a "centre diff damage", and why do you suspect it?

The centre diff splits power between the front and rear wheels. In the Legacy's it is a visous coupling I think.

Anyway, the AWD system is designed to have all the wheels with the same rolling diameter with a little bit of leeway built in to cope with the fact that front and rear tyres wear at different rates (depending on how you're driving).

If the car has worn down tyres on the rear and new ones on the front, it is possible that the rolling diameter is outside the range that the system was designed to cope with. This in turn can cause problems in the centre diff.

So, on the Subaru's, the rule of thumb is tyre rotation every 10,000 km, same tyres make, model and size all round and you replace all four at the same time.

Oh dang. Assuming the worst, and that the person has been driving it with new wheels that are outside of the rolling diameter range, how expensive/bad is it to fix?

Is "centre diff" short for something? Like "centre differential"? Trying to learn/get used to all the lingo.

Really glad someone noticed that though, really good to know, as I had no idea. Anything else I need to know about Legacy B4s that's super important? I never knew I'd have to replace all 4 tires tyres at once, which might seem like common sense to some of you guys, but it's completely new to me! So any small-but-important tidbits like that would be great.

Generally, with cars from dealers,......

Transactions never occur at ticket price.

Be aggressive mate.

Car dealers are struggling at the moment. Power is in hands of the buyer.

Cash offers don't swing them too much these days as they get kick backs/commissions on finance deals.

What would your first offer be on a $15,000 car?

the engine "optimization" between the '99 and '02 models is pretty much nothing. the only time it was truly "optimized" was for the S401, which you aren't looking at. Other than that, consider all the B4s to be pretty much the same, mechanically. Worry about the condition of the car more.

Of the cars you posted, I would look at the first two (Red Blitzen, Black B4) closer before the other BE models. the 2003 BL GT B4 (entirely different car, just so you are aware) looks pretty good as well. If I were in the market right now, and had to choose between the cars you suggested, that's the one I would probably get.

Im no expert on B4s, but I do have a pair of turbos from an 01 B4 that are significantly bigger than a 99/00 B4s turbos, as well as having larger intake piping on them... I also know they changed gear ratios on the cars over the various revisions. So there is definately differences, how much you can feel from seat of pants is going to be debateable.

On the centre diff note, does anyone have any idea just how much tolerance is involved between front and rear wheels? As I have on several occaisions run different sized tyres front and rear as well as having different ratio gearbox to rear diff (not by choice - was not aware it was like this when I got the car), and my centre diff still works fine. Clutch on the other hand, well that didnt last so long. But given I like launching the car, that may well be the cause for that to end up slipping.

On the which car to buy front, get the single turbo one, much nicer looking, newer and better cars. Quite a nice place to be in general :)

Seems like everyone's first pick is the 03 GT, hehe. I wish I could.... sigh. Looks like someone already offered $15k on the auction's questions/answers. I might actually be able to put down their asking price (just need to figure out a way to appease the wifey), but Trademe is such a b****!

My second choice is actually either the Blitzen or the '99 silver RSK. I can probably get it for $10-11k, and still have money leftover for some touchups and whatnot.

jake_the_muss said:

the engine "optimization" between the '99 and '02 models is pretty much nothing. the only time it was truly "optimized" was for the S401, which you aren't looking at. Other than that, consider all the B4s to be pretty much the same, mechanically.

Rev D (01 facelift) has different ECU, different turbos, higher compression, and so on. Significant differences.