Weird clicking noise (not CV)

This is my old car actually.

There is a weird clicking noise, the CVs have been looked at by mechanic and has said they are good.

The noise only happens when warmed up for 10 mins or so.

The noise happens worse at while cornering hard under deceleration.

Sounds like its coming from gearbox. If I go on each side of the car it sounds the same (not like if one CV is clicking you know what side its on)

Any Ideas?

Google photos Video Link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ko55MSsH8jiZhLET9

• Admin

Not sure on the older STI’s setup but 4th gen Legacy’s would often get a click similar to that which was the viscous centre diff. It would be much worse doing tight turns and once warmed up. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Not sure on the older STI’s setup but 4th gen Legacy’s would often get a click similar to that which was the viscous centre diff. It would be much worse doing tight turns and once warmed up. 

Fantastic analysis, what would be the best way to get this fixed if it is this issue?

Edited by Subaru - Snag

If you put the front of the car on stands and turn each wheel in turn... while holding the other still... you might be able to hear very clearly where the clicking is coming from.

• Like 2
  • Admin
3 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

@boon What kind of centre diff does a V7 have? Non-dccd for a standard model aye?

Correct. Viscous one.

For what it's worth... check the hub bearings out. Mine did something similar and the hub bearing was completely f***ed. Weirdly if you just jacked the car up and kinda rocked the wheel it felt fine, but upon disassembly it was entirely farked.

• Like 1