Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×

Throttle Body Coolant Bypass Mod

Has anyone done the coolant delete on the throttle body?

Apparently it's only there to prevent everything from freezing which wouldn't be an issue for most of us anyway.

Because it passes hot coolant through the throttle body apparently it increases the air temp by a bit. Saw some overseas forums where they measured a temperature drop after removing those coolant hoses.

Tempted to do the bypass myself.

Also thinking about putting on a turbo blanket and heat wrapping the downpipe for heat management.

• Admin

Yep, did it ages ago, can't say if it makes much difference unless you also have phenolic spaces because your manifold just acts as a giant heatsink for the heads.

Can't remember exactly what was required, I think I just used a cheap plastic irrigation joiner from Bunnings?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boon said:

Yep, did it ages ago, can't say if it makes much difference unless you also have phenolic spaces because your manifold just acts as a giant heatsink for the heads.

Can't remember exactly what was required, I think I just used a cheap plastic irrigation joiner from Bunnings?

ok sweet, yeah I think its pretty easy to do.

I might look into those manifold spacers if I ever need to unbolt the manifold for any reason. Makes sense if the intake manifold is aluminum it totally would act as a heat sink, never thought of that.

• Admin
On 22/05/2021 at 5:08 PM, Loren said:

The manifold is never very hot to touch though... so can't be that much heat going into them.

Have you already got spacers? After a decent drive mine would be too hot to comfortably touch.