Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Quick steering racks

ReubenH

I'm wanting to upgrade my legacy's rack to a quick steering one, can someone tell me which models got the quick rack's? Was it STi, or was it only RA's and R's etc. And from which version?

Also, which would fit a BG does anyone know? Most GC8 stuff goes right accross.

94 onwards WRX/STI and later are 2.75, anything earlier should be 3.25 at least amongst the Turbo models.

The "STI quick steering" racks i heard of various ratios 2.6/2.5 with a 2.4 in a V6 STI RA, these changed from model to model.. I can't firmly say which got what.

I do know Spec C's got a 2.25 rack.

As for interchangeability I can't imagine there being any fitment issues, it's quite possible you already have a 2.75 (lock to lock) rack in yours already as this was the more widely used version.

I bileave his didn't fit pre 2000's or something like that...

Here we go

For post 2000 cars unless you are confident working with custom parts. Fits imprezas, legacys and forresters

I assume there was some sort of change to all subies when they went to V7.

And that was very handy BC5RA. Do you guy's see much point in upgrading? A few times i've found the GTB a bit like sailing a boat through the twisties. Lots of arm flailing, not a whole lot of steering. I just counted mine, and it appears to be about 3 to 3.1 turns lock to lock. on full lock, the steering wheels upside down.

yeah ive sold mine but know someone with another one

Up until 2005 all the steering racks will swap between subframes on any car. After 2005 they changed the shape of the mounts.

The problem with pre/post 2000 is the steering column spline. Pre they use a coarse spline, post they use a fine spline. So if you try and mix and match they will bolt up to the subframe but the spline is different.

What I did to fit a spec c rack to the GC steering column is change the end of the GC universal joint to a GD one with the correct spine to match the rack. Works sweet

Recently me and a mate put a 2.6 GD sti quick rack into a B4. makes a huuuge difference!

Legacy racks are crap. As you say, arm flailing... but at least you can steer with only your little finger :D

Optical said:

Recently me and a mate put a 2.6 GD sti quick rack into a B4. makes a huuuge difference!

Legacy racks are crap. As you say, arm flailing... but at least you can steer with only your little finger :D

any chance you can give more info on this. . . sounds like it could be a good idea ? any chance what car out of/part number ? :D

-smurff

DPI said:

Quick rack is ALL GOOD, not for thin armed weaklings though... :D

The guy who set up my boost controller thought i'd taken out the power steering, look on his face when he tried to turn the wheel was priceless...

ones assumes the oem P/S pump is up to the job when you change to a real quick rack...?

• 3 weeks later...

does anyone happen to know the part number for the v8 power steering rack? or can point me in the right direction, tried to google it, but couldnt find what i wanted to know.

also, can you run then without the powersteering pump?

-smurff

smurff said:

does anyone happen to know the part number for the v8 power steering rack? or can point me in the right direction, tried to google it, but couldnt find what i wanted to know.

also, can you run then without the powersteering pump?

-smurff

You'd require the P/S pump more with a quickrack. To go without a pump, need one with a slower ratio.

• 2 weeks later...
 Optical said:

Up until 2005 all the steering racks will swap between subframes on any car. After 2005 they changed the shape of the mounts.

The problem with pre/post 2000 is the steering column spline. Pre they use a coarse spline, post they use a fine spline. So if you try and mix and match they will bolt up to the subframe but the spline is different.

What I did to fit a spec c rack to the GC steering column is change the end of the GC universal joint to a GD one with the correct spine to match the rack. Works sweet

so would a v6 sti rack go straight in and function properly in a v1 wrx with no mods???

Guest boostin
 smokn4']

[quote name='Optical said:

/quote] so would a v6 sti rack go straight in and function properly in a v1 wrx with no mods???

Yup.

• 4 months later...

what year is the bh5? if it's pre-2000 then it should be a straight swap

one issue i found with later model legacys is they have a notch on the steering column spline that stops you using a standard universal. i used a tiny cut-off wheel on a die grinder to get rid of it and after that it was plain sailing. i dont know if the notch exists on the early legacys

also i found on the post 2000 legacys they have a later fine model spline on the column and a early coarse spline on the rack! this forces you to use a pre2000 rack or fabricate a universal to mate the two together. i fabricated a new one after a bit of mucking around

• 6 months later...