Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How loud is too loud - exhausts

tmuff88

This is an old topic i suppose...

My 96 WRX has a 2.5 siamese downpipe that goes into a 3 inch with 2 x resonators before a 4 inch tip.

I've had the same setup for more than 2 years now and never had an issue, ie being pulled over or failing a warrent. However on my latest trip to the garage down the road for a WOF, they have failed me due to excessive exhaust noise. Now, these are the guys that passed me 6 months earlier and now all of a sudden it's too loud!! I suspect that they didn't even test the exhaust noise at all!! My exhaust is loud but it's nothing compare to a lot of the other WRX out there.

I have read about the LTSA legislation and the only option that is availiable to me seems to be getting it tested by a third party and so on, but that'll cost more money, in the meantime i managed to get some garage to give me a WOF but it's out of the way for me and a pain.

Does anyone has the similar experience? or can you recommend a friendly garage that is more trustworthy, cos if they can prove to me that it's more than the 95 db i would consider quiten it down a bit. Basically i just have no trust or time dealing with mechnics that pass/fail people based on his/her mood on the day.

Thanks guys

spend the money, get it tested / passed, then you have no more problems untill you change your exhaust.

its up to you generally to prove its below the 95db by the 3rd party, otherwise, they can fail you.

some LTSA's have the sound tester for it i believe.

-smurff

• General Member

If they even have a hint that its louder than stock then they can fail all they like

Stock is quite reasonable too if your lucky enuff to find a nOEM Subaru! ~90 Db is a normal stock figure - If you have xhaust on your Cert plate it can be as loud as you like.... (no loknger stck and passes safety checks etc ie also no longer OEM

I thought 85 was the limit? Either way my old muffler (Jareds one) registered 97db at 2,000rpm which WAS too loud. New one seems to be just on the maximum loudness line but will still change back to my quiet one for wofs

Is it?? Mine was 98db at 3000rpm (I was told to rev it to that)....The inspector was completely fine with me putting in a bolt in silencer which quitened it down to 92db or so and passed me.

BTW this is with a 2.5" siamese downpipe into 3" exhaust with one coby resonator.

JoKer']

If they even have a hint that its louder than stock then they can fail all they like

Stock is quite reasonable too if your lucky enuff to find a nOEM Subaru! ~90 Db is a normal stock figure - If you have xhaust on your Cert plate it can be as loud as you like.... (no loknger stck and passes safety checks etc ie also no longer OEM

No, it can't. It just means that, at the time it's certified, it was deamed to be under 95db, if it wasn't, the certifier would not have signed off your car.

You can get a car certified with an exhaust thats over 95, but it won't go on your cert plate...

[quote name='tedebare said:

Is it?? Mine was 98db at 3000rpm (I was told to rev it to that)....The inspector was completely fine with me putting in a bolt in silencer which quitened it down to 92db or so and passed me.

BTW this is with a 2.5" siamese downpipe into 3" exhaust with one coby resonator.

They are not supposed to allow these, they are required to be welded in by the law...although, going by the letter of the law, all exhausts that are fitted with bolts are now illegal under the new noise laws...that includesall bolted on factory systems too.

DPI']

No, it can't. It just means that, at the time it's certified, it was deamed to be under 95db, if it wasn't, the certifier would not have signed off your car.

You can get a car certified with an exhaust thats over 95, but it won't go on your cert plate...

[quote name='tedebare said:

/quote]

They are not supposed to allow these, they are required to be welded in by the law...although, going by the letter of the law, all exhausts that are fitted with bolts are now illegal under the new noise laws...that includesall bolted on factory systems too.

The dumbest thing they could say, your factory exhaust is illegal, when you buy this car you must pay someone to put it how the government wants it, not how it was designed. NZd coming less and less like a democratic society.

Actually, a democracy doesn't mean you have freedoms, or in fact have a say...

In a democracy, the largest block, or majority blocks of voters get to instal their choice of dictator and everyone else gets no say.

In a dictatorship, everyone gets no say...

Swindog said:

We should repel and put ME in charge. Ill sort the country out. Capitial punishment, no gangs....be good. I would call CS my "advisors"

HAHAHA ::) that was funny .. sorry

Ok back to the topic, I don't see why you guys go through the ordeal, it's seems competitive. I understand doing the test if you have been booked for it, but until then why bother?

DPI said:

Actually, a democracy doesn't mean you have freedoms, or in fact have a say...

In a democracy, the largest block, or majority blocks of voters get to instal their choice of dictator and everyone else gets no say.

In a dictatorship, everyone gets no say...

That's a republic not a democracy

• 2 months later...
Guest the_return_of_the_jedi

if its too loud go home..

most vtnz places will have the information/ documentation available on what is legal and what is not

:)

mine is 94dB and its plenty loud enough, 2.5" from y back into a rage straight through muffler. I cant imagine on a TT why you would be wanting anything louder.

• 1 month later...
 Quen10 said:

i see the new i phone has a DB reader on it..\

now thats impressive

Yea it does, ran into a bloke that reckons if you have the right software on the iPhone, that it can have readings better than $2000 kit (up to a point that is, and beyond me knowledge level)

Mate, my old neighbour (we had to move) wrote to the Police commisoner,the local police 3 newpapers & coumminty roadwatch (received 3 letters) because he thought my rex was to loud,when cops checked it out saw a cert plate,warrant & checked themseleves it,there was no problem with it. it didnt stop him complaing though,we received more complaints about drag racing & burnouts in the street.We found out after we moved that hes mad as a hatter!

I call them people normal people. We had a neighbour like that once, mad as ten mad things. Standing outside talking to my olds one day (behind a paled fence) and heard this ' i see you there talking about me, im normal you know' as he peered through the fence at us. We were talking about our house, not him.

FROM HENCE FORTH YOU SHELL BE CALLED NORMAL PERSON!