• Raised $0.00

STI power upgrage

WRXTAC

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dubbedup said:

seen heaps of modded up wrxs never hit 6g...and i have seen many sell for under 3g - just based on my expiriance.

yes unless they are modded spectacularly well they dont sell for shit modded.

Mine was pretty much standard and mint. Hence the highish price.

As a student I'd rather mod a car and have some form of outlet than have a straight up cool car from factory. Modding (and dreams of) keeps me sane amongst all the essays, deadlines and assessments. Now if only I could get that guy in the mirror to stop mocking me...

driftrex']

[quote name='DPI said:

Ok, get ya...

He's gonna fit cheap parts, wind the boost up and it'll go bang... ::)

/quote]

do you ever accept someone elses point of view? ever?

any why always so negative

i dont think he does.

dpi i have already proved that this mod is perfectly safe and reliable as have many others. experience once again.

anyway im over this thread.

hardcase how a simple question of wether or not to do the power upgrade

can cause skidmarks in a certain pair of undies ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ODB said:

late last year i sold my 1996 wrx v2 for 8g.

So either a)you have a ****ter or b)you arent prepared to wait until the right buyer comes along.

I saw a few STis around for not much more than that at the time.

I agree with DPI. The money difference between the two is not that much.....and the cost to improve your performance to anywhere close to STi level will cost almost as much.

I reckon you could upgrade to an STi of equivalent year for like 2.5G all up.

Well worth it when you consider all the kit you get.

My rex isn't a ****ter at all lol, its one of the tidiest v2's i've ever seen, but i highly doubt it'd sell for 8k.

smokn4']

[quote name='DPI said:

Ok, get ya...

/quote]

i dont think he does.

dpi i have already proved that this mod is perfectly safe and reliable as have many others. experience once again.

hardcase how a simple question of wether or not to do the power upgrade

can cause skidmarks in a certain pair of undies ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

lol well im only gonna repeat myself so many times.

funkytown']

Ok, get ya...

TBH, I didn’t think giving my opinion on what I though would be the best course of action for a club member would be perceived as negative…

And, if you look through my posts you’ll notice that I am all for people who want to mod wrx’s (a differing opinion to mine).

late last year i sold my 1996 wrx v2 for 8g.

So either a)you have a ****ter or b)you arent prepared to wait until the right buyer comes along.

I saw a few STis around for not much more than that at the time.

I agree with DPI. The money difference between the two is not that much.....and the cost to improve your performance to anywhere close to STi level will cost almost as much.

I reckon you could upgrade to an STi of equivalent year for like 2.5G all up.

Well worth it when you consider all the kit you get.

See, he gets it…

[quote name='DPI said:

Ok, get ya...

/quote]

i dont think he does.

By posting this comment, are you being any more tolerant of my opinion than I am of yours?

Funky, his original post SAID he wanted to do a mod that would give his WRX “STI POWER”…

Why am I such an idiot for taking this literally?

Personally, I think if he DID spend only $500 on the parts to ‘sti’ his wrx, then it would either blow up, or not end up with sti power….and, yes that IS my opinion.

You guys won’t accept MY opinion, clearly but I’m not devastated by that…

8 grand for a v2 is top top dollar.

Generally mods make a car worth less, unless they are done tastefully and the right person is selling the car. (a 19 year old with his hat on backwards in a modded v2 will get a lot less than a respectable guy in his late 20s would.)

As I have said I went down this path myself, but every car I wanted to do more and more to it. If I was to do it over I would have just spent the money on an sti to start with. Also if you sell high and buy low you might find the change over is less than you think, I just stepped up from a v5 wrx to v7 sti for $1500. Thats my advice, take it or leave it.

That said the mods suggested are very easy and as it is a v2 the parts aren't "that" sort after so you probably do it for under $500.

My parts estimation: (open for debate)

air flow meter: $60-$80

Computer: $80-$100

injectors: $50-$70

Turbo: $200-$300

So that could be about $550.

The best bang for buck mod IMO is a turbo back exhaust so I would start there if it hasn't already been done.

smokn4 said:

yea i hear what your saying ,ive done it to my V1, i just dont rekn its that bad/hard or even that expensive yet theres a few on here that seem dead against it ???

like the WRX is a pimple on the STi's face ;D ;D

yea i guess cause its so cheap and easy to do then it must be bad or gonna blow your engine, lol.

DPI- we have already established that WRXTAC didnt literally mean or expect "sti power".

never thought you were an idiot, and i made reference to his post being not entirely accurate to what he "truely" wants.

I think its moot point that the OP udnerstands its about giving a WRX some more power - Not STI power..

reference to just $500 making it blow up, maybe or maybe not, there have been several lots of evidence here where people have done the STI ECU and turbo on a WRX and run it successfully for some time. It would be prudent for the OP to find out what else these folk did/run to make it go so well for so long.

I think he wanted to know what he needs to use to do such a power upgrade, not whether to do it or not.

Over to the OP now to decide - which i think he has.

driftrex']

[quote name='smokn4 said:

yea i hear what your saying ,ive done it to my V1, i just dont rekn its that bad/hard or even that expensive yet theres a few on here that seem dead against it ???

i]like the WRX is a pimple on the STi's face ;D ;D[/i]

yea i guess cause its so cheap and easy to do then it must be bad or gonna blow your engine, lol.

DPI- we have already established that WRXTAC didnt literally mean or expect "sti power".

No, you didn't.

You just said he didn't (contrary to what he posted) so it agrees with your opinion.

Mod a WRX, or STI, or Legacy all you like, don't bother me, i was just trying to save him some coin in the long run...

Serves me right for trying i guess...

DPI sorry that u feel your advice wasn't listened to, i completely understand that buying an sti is the more sensible option from a monetary point of view. Thanks very much for your input :) and to every one else that posted... also sorry if my original post was unclear. I don't expect STI power from these mods at all, but i think it will make my car a little bit more fun than the average wrx. I'm still not sure what i want to do at the moment, i think I will wait until it is the end of my holidays and see how much coin i have saved and then re-evaluate the best option for me.

WRXTAC said:

DPI sorry that u feel your advice wasn't listened to, i completely understand that buying an sti is the more sensible option from a monetary point of view. Thanks very much for your input :) and to every one else that posted... also sorry if my original post was unclear. I don't expect STI power from these mods at all, but i think it will make my car a little bit more fun than the average wrx. I'm still not sure what i want to do at the moment, i think I will wait until it is the end of my holidays and see how much coin i have saved and then re-evaluate the best option for me.

sounds good best thng to do if your unsure ;)

WRXTAC said:

Has the exhaust been done on it from the turbo back?

Treecrusher said:

Has the exhaust been done on it from the turbo back?

No, it has been done from the cat back, but if i were to upgrade the turbo i would put a siamese downpipe in at same time, while the turbo was off. Only other mods are Turbosmart bov, boost gauge, 17's and springs. I also have an HKS pod filter and a stainless intake pipe waiting to go on but I'm just waiting until i buy some material to make a cold air box out of before it all goes in :)

Treecrusher']

The best thing for you to do, and I think everyone on here will agree, is to get rid of that catalytic converter. Those things feed on power.

[quote name='WRXTAC said:

but if i were to upgrade the turbo i would put a siamese downpipe in at same time, while the turbo was off.

;)

funkytown']

The best thing for you to do, and I think everyone on here will agree, is to get rid of that catalytic converter. Those things feed on power.

but if i were to upgrade the turbo i would put a siamese downpipe in at same time, while the turbo was off.

/quote]

;)

Yea I was meaning before the turbo. Ya cheeky bugger :P

Treecrusher']

/quote]

;)

NO, NO, No...the down pipe definately goes AFTER the turbo... ;D :P

DPI']

/quote]

;)

NO, NO, No...the down pipe definately goes AFTER the turbo... ;D :P

Touché