• Raised $0.00

RE050 Group buy - Auckland

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

B-b-b-b-BUMP

OK, so, megameet has come and gone, and i should have a job by the end of the week. So i'm looking at getting those tyres.

Drunkenmonkey matt talked to the guy's at firestone GI, and they are happy to get a group buy going, and the discounts look promising. So far, looks like, if we get 6 people, he can do prices like $196/corner for some RE050 215/45R17's. The prices will drop lower if we can get more, because then bridgestone will be giving them discounts :D

Put your name down if you want to go through with this, and what tyre you need! So we can discuss prices and discounts.

I'll start:

Reuben H; RE050 (directional) 215/45R17.

ReubenH said:

Oooooo They have those in NZ yet? Not directional though, which is pretty much the only reason i'm going with 050's.

They have them in Oz (big review in Wheels magazine, this mth or last mth) so only a matter of time before BS NZ wakes up and sells them here.

Goodyear F1 Asymmetricals and Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1's are also available in Subaru friendly sizes from ~$230-$380 ea.

I wouldn't get to hung up on directionality, there are more important factors (eg, compounds, tread design etc. ).

Yeah. I'm going to be having a good discussion with the guy's in the shop about it. I may be changing my order to RE11's depending.

In not really fussed on what i do get, it's just easy to get potenza's, and i like potenza's allot.

Righty, just rang blake at firestone GI, and had a chat

He's sold me on the 050's too, he reckons they will last allot longer than the 11's, and you can flip them since they are symetric. That's going to be important to me since this ext year i will be even more pennyless than before.

He said he'll try find a price on 2 RE-11's today, and ring me back

OK, just got a call from blake.

RE050's 215/45R17 Confirmed at $193 ea

RE050A's 215/45R17 Confirmed at $215 ea

RE-11's 215/45R17 Confirmed at $209 ea - But they only just ordered 8 or something like that, and will be shipped up from CHCH.

These prices were with only Shale, Lotec, and I confirmed.

Guy's, now's time to jump on board for some of these!

newsuba']

[quote name='Munkvy said:

Out of curiosity (Im not needing to buy currently), how do the aforementioned Bridgestones compare to say the T1R or GSD3 (German manufactured only). I realise the RE11 is probably better, but probably shorter lifespan? But what about the others?

/quote]

The aforementioned BS are all in the next class up.

Wear rates are so variable according to car, conditions, driver etc but...

As mentioned, the 050's are soft (UTQG treadwear rating 140), the T1R, GSD3 are 300.

The RE11 has a rating of 180.

Apparently you can't directly compare treadwear ratings between different manufacturers though as they all use different ways of working them out, and they all wear differently depending on conditions.

Having used RE001, T1R and GSD3 I'd take the 001 over the T1R or GSD3 every time.

In my experience while the T1R and GSD3 grip well enough the tyre construction isn't up to the same standard - soft weak sidewalls being the main problem, I've had problems with excessive shoulder wear and punctures on those with no trouble from RE001. I don't think they would have lasted any longer than the 001 anyway, but they've all become scrap before the tread wore out! GSD3's in particular are also floaty as hell on gravel.

Hoping 050's last longer than 001's though :)

Of course you can compare UTQG ratings !

They are derived from testing under specified conditions mandated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in the USA.

What you can't do is assume you will get the same mileage.

Agree RE001 over T1R, GSD3.

Never tried the latter on gravel but on tarmac they don't seem to be as stable as tyre with a solid centre rib.

Both are OK for general use but getting pricey.

Shale said:

As I've discovered, the two different tyres have different properties in the wet - kind of an obvious one. The RE001s let go first without fail, and let go with vigeur!

RE050s have thus far worn about twice as well as the RE001s; half way through a set of RE050s in the time I'd be replacing Adrenalins AGAIN.

I like the sound of that! Would that difference be a normal(ish) representation or a bit of a special case?

I don't have any complaints about my RE001 in the wet to be honest, as long as you get a bit of heat into them. They can feel a bit skatier than T1R or GSD3 when they're cold and wet but still very manageable.