Niran

Rolled vs Straight Edge Muffler

Hey guys,

Does anyone know what the differences are between having a rolled edge muffler tip compared to straight edge?

I am thinking of changing my muffler as the exhaust system is too loud, and a bit painful on the ears when driving for extended periods!

Thinking of going with this:

http://www.adrenalinr.com/productdetail.php?productID=523

Thoughts?

In terms of sound it's going to make three fifths of ****-all difference, go with the one you think looks better.

IMO Impreza = Straight edge, Legacy = rolled.

boon said:
In terms of sound it's going to make three fifths of ****-all difference, go with the one you think looks better.

Oh really? I was going by their write-up which seems to have quite a few levels of sound deadening.:

1. "The stainless wool breaks up soundwaves and creates a barrier preventing the packing from breaking up and exiting the rear of the vehicle prolonging the life of each and every muffler.
  2. The ceramic matting absorbs noise and heat preventing the fibreglass turning back to glass.
  3. The needlemat fibreglass blanket acts as the final noise insulator which results in quieter, deeper notes singing from the rear of your vehicle."

Current exhaust was installed by previous owner, i think its a big bore muffler? Full 3inch TBE. Just a bit too loud. Borderline WOF fail as well.

Niran said:
Oh really? I was going by their write-up which seems to have quite a few levels of sound deadening.:

1. "The stainless wool breaks up soundwaves and creates a barrier preventing the packing from breaking up and exiting the rear of the vehicle prolonging the life of each and every muffler.
  2. The ceramic matting absorbs noise and heat preventing the fibreglass turning back to glass.
  3. The needlemat fibreglass blanket acts as the final noise insulator which results in quieter, deeper notes singing from the rear of your vehicle."

Current exhaust was installed by previous owner, i think its a big bore muffler? Full 3inch TBE. Just a bit too loud. Borderline WOF fail as well.

They make good mufflers, I'm not sure what that summary has to do with rolled or straight edge mufflers though?

boon said:

When Boon speaks..... He speaks the truth

boon said:
They make good mufflers, I'm not sure what that summary has to do with rolled or straight edge mufflers though?

I guess the thread is twofold lol. Wanting to know if rolled edge mufflers are better or worse (or if its purely aesthetic). And if changing my current muffler (big more apparently) to an Adrenalin R one will result in an overall reduction in exhaust volume and cabin resonance. Sorry wasn't very clear in the OP

Edge: aesthetic only

Sound vs brand: Yes adrenalin R is a good (albiet expensive) brand

Does your exhaust have any resonators, and what brand is the muffler now? Some mufflers do next to nothing for sound reduction so anything might be an improvement

Marky said:
Edge: aesthetic only

Sound vs brand: Yes adrenalin R is a good (albiet expensive) brand

Does your exhaust have any resonators, and what brand is the muffler now? Some mufflers do next to nothing for sound reduction so anything might be an improvement

The previous owner had it install, cant see any branding but when i rung the guys who did the job (off the receipt) They said it was a big bore exhaust.

Niran said:
The previous owner had it install, cant see any branding but when i rung the guys who did the job (off the receipt) They said it was a big bore exhaust.

So it's a no namer.

I would imagine the adrenalin r would reduce sound a bit (well made)

If still to loud then add a res in the exhaust somewhere

How did your adrenalin r sound man? Yours is a 7 inch one aye. After the 6 probably.

i recommend a STI Genome tip (came standard on my v7 sti....) I run a 3" Turbo back all the way back and have a 3"-2.5" reducer right before the genome as thats its imput. Its quiet as hell just cruising around normally, would think its a unmodified car.... open it up on WOT and it screams louder and more aggressive than the 3" cannon did... gives it a howl.

- i also run no cats and no resonators

Edited by hunter951

hunter951 said:
i recommend a STI Genome tip (came standard on my v7 sti....) I run a 3" Turbo back all the way back and have a 3"-2.5" reducer right before the genome as thats its imput. Its quiet as hell just cruising around normally, would think its a unmodified car.... open it up on WOT and it screams louder and more aggressive than the 3" cannon did... gives it a howl.

- i also run no cats and no resonators

Horrible idea. Creates post turbine back pressure making turbo work harder for less return.

evowrx said:
Horrible idea. Creates post turbine back pressure making turbo work harder for less return.

weird because it goes better than before...

The chances of your car going better with a smaller exhaust are slim to none

More likely is it now *sounds* faster

Marky said:
The chances of your car going better with a smaller exhaust are slim to none

More likely is it now *sounds* faster

This ^^

Most those Genome's have an inlet closer to 2.2inch ID on the flange then get larger to 2.5 just after. build quality on them might be up there but that restriction is real.

Isn't he running a VF30? Surely it would make bugger all difference if his exhaust was 2.5" all the way let alone just at the 'cool' end.

No it's more just the argument re putting on a different, and smaller, muffler making it go better

Go better in the sense it feels better while driving, ie smoother on de-accl, + sounds better and looks better. not talking about power gains or loses, however i think the negative effects on my stock engine car is going to be low to none. But yea i have thought about the effects of reducing to that smaller diameter. As for "cool" its hardly flashy or big and obnoxious... it looks stock.... because it is stock. Ill put my cannon back on and see if i notice any differences....

Edited by hunter951

GC8E2DD said:
Isn't he running a VF30? Surely it would make bugger all difference if his exhaust was 2.5" all the way let alone just at the 'cool' end.

Big difference on mine going from 2.5 catback to 3 with 3 dp. 227wkw vf22 20psi tune.

... so the difference (presumably with no other change) was how many ponies/ how much better curve?