Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

bendix ultimates

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe - I purely mention it so that you know that its not the brake size thats causing it. I agree going to a 4 pot is a good idea as the larger the rotor the better.

As Jon mentioned, for me 4 pots arent practical as on gravel I have to run 15s and finding 15" rims that fit over 4 pots generally is expensive and then I need multiple sets to cover for if I puncture a front tyre too. So not worth it at this stage.

As for max speed, I had a limiter put in the Link for Targa as you arent allowed over 200km/hr, and I remember where the needle pointed on the dash when I was hitting that limiter and the needle in the weekend was reaching the same area. Will check the Link log files and see if Matt recorded speed as one of the parameters too.

On a side note, its amazing how often I checked the speedo when about to start braking at the end of the straights, I really should have been paying attention to braking points instead, but the car was popping and farting and misbehaving so often I dont think I ever got more than 1-2 clean laps in.

wildturkey said:

it's all good part of the learning curve for me :D........I'm just happy the RS held up cause i was givin it the beats and for a 20 year old block.......well can't complain..........and then it got me back to welly ;D

Yeah and the car looked good while doing it too. Looked really comfortable on the track if that makes sense? Unlike my rollypolly barge!

Munkvy']

[quote name='wildturkey said:

it's all good part of the learning curve for me :D........I'm just happy the RS held up cause i was givin it the beats and for a 20 year old block.......well can't complain..........and then it got me back to welly ;D

/quote]

Yeah and the car looked good while doing it too. Looked really comfortable on the track if that makes sense? Unlike my rollypolly barge!

yep makes sense to me ;D cheers...... I done a few handling mods since last MM and they really paid off on the track

Shale said:

Was doing a good 5x hot laps with a cool down lap (or half lap sometimes) and not once did they overheat. Was going about as fast as you guys around the corners, but only getting up between 140 and 150 down the front straight due to lack of win in the engine bay. The brakes got an absolute murdering.

That will change once you have that NA 300kW 10,000rpm monster engine installed.

Adding another 40-50km/h to your straightline speed will wilt your brakes.

:D

I wouldn't go too hardcore, the higher grade pad the higher you have to keep the temps up.... which would lead to even worse performance as you just aren't getting the speeds up to push em/keep them in the key heat range. Just make sure you get the same set for all 4 and ul be all good.

No probs, I would say mine is the first time I have bought serious pads. Project Mu's racing compount and takes abit to get them warmed up, and evem then I wasn't even close to finding the limits of mine. Which required slamming the brakes into a hairpain after doing round 220 down the main straight, it's now time for myself to start getting bigger balls and learning the limits of these pads. Im amazed how well 4-pots can do with a good set of pads/fluid and of course tyres.

Also if you do look at serious pads u must remember the limits of your tyres, once you start upping the quality of the pads you have to start looking at going into semi-slicks and alike otherwise that will be the next biggest thing to hold you back.

WRXER said:

No probs, I would say mine is the first time I have bought serious pads. Project Mu's racing compount and takes abit to get them warmed up, and evem then I wasn't even close to finding the limits of mine. Which required slamming the brakes into a hairpain after doing round 220 down the main straight, it's now time for myself to start getting bigger balls and learning the limits of these pads. Im amazed how well 4-pots can do with a good set of pads/fluid and of course tyres.

Also if you do look at serious pads u must remember the limits of your tyres, once you start upping the quality of the pads you have to start looking at going into semi-slicks and alike otherwise that will be the next biggest thing to hold you back.

Makes a lot of sense.

Given my car is essentially strictly a road car that cops a lot of abuse, I can see why putting some serious pads in wouldn't be the best idea. Might be time to play around with Ultimates equivalents (or more of the same) given there are only Advance back there at the moment. It should equal the stock Brembo pads in there at the moment (brand new) and still be very much daily drivable.

On the topic of tyres, as fast as I was going I found the RE-11s to be EXTREMELY capable. There was sticky, very hot material pilling off every time I returned to the pits but they hadn't gone buttery on me at any point. Adrenalins are another story. So I'm pondering getting a second set of wheels for track, and either using RE-11 all round (more than enough for an N/A, eh?) or potentially the RE55S, but as stated...not for use by muppets :P So maybe just the RE-11s until I've improved both my driving and my car's performance.

What sort of tyres are you running on the track?

There seems to be a lot of thumbs up for the R888s. Could be worth experimenting with when I get better/faster ;D

I imagine they don't last you too long though...but yeah, at least they're not the expensive variety.

Guest boostin

Don't forget that going from little single pots to big 4 pots means more fluid needs to be moved. You'll probably need a bigger master cylinder.

boostin said:

Don't forget that going from little single pots to big 4 pots means more fluid needs to be moved. You'll probably need a bigger master cylinder.

would one from a turbo leggy be enough (fit even)? i think i have 2 now in the garage lol

-smurff

Shale said:

Gonna have to put some SERIOUS pads in the rear to avoid a complete brake unbalance though :-\ STi ver3 rears currently. Same size as the fronts. D'oh!

You'd be suprised; I'm running 4 pots with ultimates on the front and just generic wrx 1 pot rears, the pads in which I don't even know what they are...no balance problems here!

Shale said:

I have a turbo Legacy one sitting around - but will probably grab the GDB one if it will fit (will it?). Just to be safe, given the pummelling my car will get!

im just running the factory one off mine shale.. il let you know how it goes - was told it should be fine.. had a turbo (4 pot) one to start with tho.

funkytown']

[quote name='Shale said:

I have a turbo Legacy one sitting around - but will probably grab the GDB one if it will fit (will it?). Just to be safe, given the pummelling my car will get!

/quote]

im just running the factory one off mine shale.. il let you know how it goes - was told it should be fine.. had a turbo (4 pot) one to start with tho.

Exactly... an STi 4-pot one I can't imagine being too different in the scheme of things. But the N/A one... :-[

Stamped on the underside (from memory) of the master cylinder is the bore aperture size of the master cylinder. GD sti MC's are 1 1/4" diameter (again from memory) which are bigger than normal impreza ones

I have a spare GD master cylinder lying around :)

You've got lots of GD stuff lying around ;D I might ACTUALLY buy something in the near future, given sudden job pressure (forced upgrade) and desperation to get back onto the track.

Cheers for the thoughts and figures tho. I can cross-reference with the one currently installed, and the spare BF5 one I have. From there we will probably know, communally, where to go :)

Hey Joe, i coulda skimmed those discs for nothing! Skimming discs removes around .020 each time you do it depending on the amount of warp thats in the disc.

Al least you got Bendix fro BnT,The little gnome that works in Lower Hutt branch insists that Bendix dont do 4pot pads so i went to Wgtn to get them!!