Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Speed camera tolerance dropping to 5km !!

R.D

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JoKer']

[quote name='Shale said:

Moral of the story is to be calm, or *555 methinks :P

/quote]

Can't txt while driving now :P

*555 is one of those exceptions....

"Hello, I'd like to report someone on their cellphone while driving...."

R.D said:

that was brought up on the other fourm, but i dont think it is percentages. Getting fined for 33km/h in a 30 zone???

Actually after reading the guide again I was wrong yes. I swear the old speed enforcement guide was percentages however.

Current guide says 11km/h more than the posted limit, except for 'heavy vehicles' and vehicles towing trailers which have a 6km/h tolerance, and in a school zone where the tolerance is 5km/h.

However it also goes on to say that if the person is being dangerous to other road users then they can be ticketed non-withstanding.

Note that these guidelines are "MUST BE TICKETED" for exceeding, with anything less a "MAY BE TICKETED" situation.

Guidelines expired in Febuary so that may give credence to rumours of the tolerances being changed, as they may well do this when/if an updated guide is released.

• General Member
 wrx_lou']

[quote name='Shale said:

Moral of the story is to be calm, or *555 methinks :P

/quote]

Can't txt while driving now :P

*555 is one of those exceptions....

"Hello, I'd like to report someone on their cellphone while driving...."

hahahah

MercuryFree said:

Actually after reading the guide again I was wrong yes. I swear the old speed enforcement guide was percentages however.

Current guide says 11km/h more than the posted limit, except for 'heavy vehicles' and vehicles towing trailers which have a 6km/h tolerance, and in a school zone where the tolerance is 5km/h.

one of my mates got a ticket for doing 57km in a 50km zone ???

B4 2000']

one of my mates got a ticket for doing 57km in a 50km zone ???

sucks for him. here's why:

[quote name='MercuryFree said:

Note that these guidelines are "MUST BE TICKETED" for exceeding, with anything less a "MAY BE TICKETED" situation.

Andrew NR']

[quote name='Old Skool Subbie said:

More people will be driving carefully so not to get tickets hurr.. like driving at 30kms a hour in 50km zones... Its becoming more common... I get stuck behind at least 2-3 people a day doing that speed hurr

/quote]

20km/h under the speed limit is a bit stupid but it's called a speed LIMIT not a speed MUST DO. It means that you aren't supposed to go over the posted speed, there is nothing that says you aren't allowed to do 5-10km/h under the speed limit. If you want to go fast find a bloody race track otherwise learn some self control and be patient.

highly unlikely that they will as if your sitting on 98 in 100 then "majority" of people will sit there behind you

going to the mountain 1 year we got stuck behind someone doing 80 most ways and there were no places to pass.. when we stopped to get something to eat there was a cop so we asked if they can/will ticket you for going slow, his response was " if you are under the speed limit and hold up cars we will issue a ticket as it only adds 30 seconds to their trip to pull over and let people pass, rather than annoy people and cause stupid over taking other words being a hazard" so they will ticket if you hold up traffic

Fair enough. But if you are doing spot on the speed limit or 2-3km/h under and have a line of vehicles behind then surely the cops can't pull you over for holding up traffic in that situation.

This whole thing has got to be profit driven or at the very least driven by some very silly people.

The stopping distance thing is bulls**t plain and simple. They can claim all the physics in the world (yes I went to 6th form science as well) but the fact is there are so many factors that have a greater affect on stopping distance. For instance tyre pressure, shock absorbers quality/maintenance, breaking ability of car, weight of vehicle, quality of tyres, reaction time of driver.

You can add more stopping distance to a car travelling 100 kph than 110 kph just by under inflating the tyres by 10 psi. I don't see cops out there ticketing people for incorrectly inflated tyres (which could be an easily administered road side test).

I don't speed, have only had two speeding tickets in my life. the whole 10 kph thing gives you a bit of lee way to be a smooth and consistent driver. Look down every now and then and re-adjust. In my STi 10kph on the speedo at 100 kph was a fraction of movement in the accelerator pedal.

the other thing is the tolerances of all the equipment involved. The car and the radar/laser. I am sure the tolerances of each added together will be more than the new 4 kph allowance. In fact I would put a lazy fiver on that 4 kph being the tolerance of the police equipment.

My 2 cents.

I love how everyone chucks on the serious cap in these threads. I doubt a single bloody person in this thread has never gone over the speed limit. 90% of yah are driving turbo subies FFS.

I even heard on the radio this morning that the AA are pissed off at this, saying clamping down even on overtaking lanes is a bit silly. Stating it's good to get said overtakes over and done with in a timely manner (And not dordling at 101 overtaking a truck doing 95).

ReubenH said:

I love how everyone chucks on the serious cap in these threads. I doubt a single bloody person in this thread has never gone over the speed limit. 90% of yah are driving turbo subies FFS.

Doesn't mean we drive around town like tards...

I wonder if I can prove my cay stops in the same distance from 140 kph to 0 kph as my mothers 4wd takes to go from 90 kph to 0 kph if I will be aloud to do 140 everywhere :) I think not.

I love on stuff they quote 10 people dead this time last year.....was any of them due to them doing 110 kph instead of 104 kph?

It is this sort of thing that that get the public pissed off. They have enough people to hide in bushes catching people cutting the corner or doing 105 kph but claim under-resourced when it comes to the P problem or violent crime in Chch CBD.

Treecrusher said:

I am sure the tolerances of each added together will be more than the new 4 kph allowance. In fact I would put a lazy fiver on that 4 kph being the tolerance of the police equipment.

My 2 cents.

The LIDAR a.k.a laser guns are I agree in full with your thoughts on that matter..6km/h -3.2km/h rated accuracy assuming they're using the ones everyone else uses (and from what I've seen they are). So a little more accurate than +/-4, and it's mainly in your favour.

The radars are about twice as inaccurate, but they're phasing those out so...

EDIT: OK WHAT THE FUCK. THAT CUT OUT HALF A FUCKING SENTENCE, INCLUDING NUMBERS. CAN WE UNDO THE FUCKING AUTOMATIC EDITING.

1.6km/h -3.2km/h

IS WHAT

THEY ARE

RATED AT

Hopefully it doesn't edit me now. FFS.

MercuryFree']

[quote name='Treecrusher said:

I am sure the tolerances of each added together will be more than the new 4 kph allowance. In fact I would put a lazy fiver on that 4 kph being the tolerance of the police equipment.

My 2 cents.

/quote]

The LIDAR a.k.a laser guns are I agree in full with your thoughts on that matter..6km/h -3.2km/h rated accuracy assuming they're using the ones everyone else uses (and from what I've seen they are). So a little more accurate than +/-4, and it's mainly in your favour.

The radars are about twice as inaccurate, but they're phasing those out so...

EDIT: OK WHAT THE darnit. THAT CUT OUT HALF A darnitING SENTENCE, INCLUDING NUMBERS. CAN WE UNDO THE darnitING AUTOMATIC EDITING.

1.6km/h -3.2km/h

IS WHAT

THEY ARE

RATED AT

Hopefully it doesn't edit me now. FFS.

Based on those number then I could be driving within their guidelines and still get ticketed. 104 kph driving speed + 1.6 kph upper limit of police equipment means they shouldn't be ticketing anyone for less than 106 kph if 104 is their guideline value.

I would suggest if anyone here gets ticketed for less than 110 kph, to ask for all the details of the equipment used to get them. Model number and last calibration date. Read up on the equipments specifications and the calibration specification and take those numbers to court. Chances are you can add all the tolerances up to be more than the ticketed speed and if not they would be so close you could argue the difference is less than the thickness of the needle in your car.

Seems to me the police are on shaky ground here, none of the equipment, speedos radar etc, is designed to be this accurate. If it was, we would all have digital speedos in our cars by now.

subieboy']

[quote name='ReubenH said:

I love how everyone chucks on the serious cap in these threads. I doubt a single bloody person in this thread has never gone over the speed limit. 90% of yah are driving turbo subies FFS./quote]

>Implying 110kph is pants on head retarded, and 105 isnt.

Treecrusher said:

Based on those number then I could be driving within their guidelines and still get ticketed. 104 kph driving speed + 1.6 kph upper limit of police equipment means they shouldn't be ticketing anyone for less than 106 kph if 104 is their guideline value.

Whilst in principle I agree with you...you're still driving at over 100km/h if you're doing 104km/h +/- 2km/h. lol

ReubenH']

[quote name='ReubenH said:

I love how everyone chucks on the serious cap in these threads. I doubt a single bloody person in this thread has never gone over the speed limit. 90% of yah are driving turbo subies FFS./quote]

>Implying 110kph is pants on head retarded, and 105 isnt.

No you are implying that we are all speeders because we own turbo subies... (regardless speed) thats what I was/am on about...

ZERO tolerance is where it should be at. I don't care if your car can stop on a dime. You shouldn't be going over 100/xx anyways.

What so many people fail to recognise is the fact that the more people they pull over the more chance they have of finding people with out standing warrants, warrants which could well be for all sorts of violent and hideous crimes.

I've travelled 80k's so far this weekend. Seen so many cars pulled over. 8-9 i think it was.

What i'd love too see is a crack down on monkeys who aren't indicating at roundabouts, that really fucks me off.

If they are going to do zero tolerance speeding crap then we should get free speedo calibration everytime we need a warrant done and a 50% discount on brake pads because we will need to ride the brakes more going down hill.