Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Subaru WRX STI Tyres?

hi all,

trying to decide which tyres i should go for

These are my options

Toyo T1R - Someone told me the side wall was not that strong especially for heavy cars is this true?

Dunlop Direzzas 101

FIRENZA ST08

BRIDGESTONE MY01

or any suggestions under 190?

cheers

I find it's just easier to go and price match several competitors, don't get me wrong discounts help however Im always a little iffy when they say with a given discount it's cheaper then competitors. They generally don't tell you or show what the normal price is that they usually sell these, hence I still keep looking round and can usually find a place even cheaper. Unsure on all tyre places, but am aware of there is a huge markup on tyres at most places here in chch, you got to see the insane prices my olds paid for crappy tyres.

I just went round several tyre shops, got the best price then emailed tony's tyre service the best price I had been offereed to which they offereed me T1r's for $170 each (17's) including fitting/wheel alignment. Use to get them for under $150 couple years back but that was before the recession really hit. Just do a little leg work and you should be able to get a good price, and never take the first place up on their "best offer" as it generally isnt.

i've never had a problem with my direzza dz101, but did noticed that they handled better on my turbo skyline than my sti wrx. i think it probably the weight difference as the skyline is a heavier car.

I havnt lost grip in the wet or dry and they still seem to have grip and they are down to the time to replace mark thats driving 120km and below, never seen track but if you going to race on the track you would probably use tires made for racing. also like how the dz101 has rim protection so you dont get kurb damage on your rims. does any other tires have rim protection like the dz101?

turborunner said:

does any other tires have rim protection like the dz101?

Quite a few. I think the T1-R's do. It was either them or the Hankook's I used to have that did. Doesn't work if you grind along the curb far enough to grind the curb protection off haha.

i find the re001s arnt as good as the t1r's in the wet, but re001's are better in the dry

and i dont think the re001s will last as long either

the t1r's are the only ones that ive used on track and i found after 4-5 hard laps they get to hot and you loose heeps of grip

turborunner said:

i've never had a problem with my direzza dz101, but did noticed that they handled better on my turbo skyline than my sti wrx. i think it probably the weight difference as the skyline is a heavier car.

I havnt lost grip in the wet or dry and they still seem to have grip and they are down to the time to replace mark thats driving 120km and below, never seen track but if you going to race on the track you would probably use tires made for racing. also like how the dz101 has rim protection so you dont get kurb damage on your rims. does any other tires have rim protection like the dz101?

+ 1 I've had three sets of DZ101's in a row. I think they're a great set of tyres. Having said that, I'm almost due for a new set, so will start looking out for T1R's as they're sounding pretty good ;)

I wouldn't have T1R's again, the sidewalls are far to soft and weak IMO - not only do they feel a bit wobbly when you push them, but mine all got 'retired' by either excessive shoulder wear or sidewall punctures/cuts well before the main tread wore out. They also tramline quite noticeably on bumpy roads. Goodyear Eagle F1s were similar, but more expensive and gripped slightly better (only on seal, floaty as anything on gravel).

I swapped from T1R to Bridgestone RE001 (got for $205 each at my local firestone) and no way would I go back - RE001 are grippier, quieter, more predictable, have a much stronger sidewall, don't tramline, etc... The only advantage I thought the T1R had was slightly more wet grip from cold, once the RE001 warm up a bit the wet grip is similar, dry grip the RE001 is always better.

You'll chew any of them up pretty quickly on track though, you might have to spend a bit more for something that will handle that as well.

ETA mine have been on a GTB rather than an STi, in 215/45R17.

Out of that list, again, the T1-R's.

Personally though, i'd spend the extra coin and get some Bridgestone RE050's. Much better than the T1-R :P

Gravel bens glowing reference above should attest to that, and i think the 050's have all the good of the 001, but with superior wet grip than the 001. The 050 wet grip is brilliant icon_twisted.gif

I got the 050's, not the 050A's. Standard 050's are symetrical, so half way though their life you can reverse them (take them off the wheel, and flip the tyre, so inside becomes out) and get even wear accross the tyre for a longer life, unlike the 001, which is asym only, and believe me, the 001 insides love to get chewed out! (keep on top of your wheel alignments unlike i did!!!)