Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Do I really need ABS?

So I'm looking at a V2 Type RA STI, which I've recently discovered doesn't have ABS..

How much would this 'throw' most people looking at a car? I've owned my BG5 GT Legacy for 4 1/3 years now, and have become quite a master of engine braking using the gears.

I'd say I'm relatively confident in my own driving abilities, but not sure about those around me in Auckland..!

Thoughts please, on not having ABS on a daily driven STI?

Chur.

The common misconception is that ABS increases your stopping power - and it does to an extent. The main function of ABS is so that you can still steer yourself away from an accident. If your wheels are locked this is a bit hard to do!

Otherwise, no you don't really need ABS, just know that when you jam your foot down you wont be able to direct the car. Maybe go onto a closed road and practice?? ;D

Cheers

Chris

CUDDAS said:

I removed mine years ago & was a bit of a job & i have no problems with stopping, cant say i even miss it. :)

could you do me a fairly comprehensive write up? via pm or other would be very helpful. I'd like to strip mine all out if i can logically and legally.

abs has stopped me a few times from getting my car written, its really helpful when u have dickhead bus drivers and fckwit taxi drivers thinking they own the road so for a daily keep it for a race car who needs it as your going to fast for abs to be effective

after stacking my last car twice in incidents that i'm sure abs would have prevented or at least lessened so i could have driven away, i am a fan of it for a daily driver, i'd back myself to pulse brake if i was thrashing the car and got into trouble (i've done it before without even thinking) but when shit turns bad just driving normally it does take longer to react as your not in the frame of mind.

if i had a car with it i wouldn't remove it in a daily driver, if your cars coming without it then just get used to not having it, go do some practice braking on different surfaces (seal, gravel, grass etc) and see what happens

thats just my 2c

If you have the skills of Sebastien Loeb then ditch ABS.

Even so many race formulae allow ABS, albeit race ABS is far removed from the relatively crude systems fitted to road cars.

Most mortals will find ABS is beneficial.

As stated prior, ABS is more about allowing control of the car rather than reducing outright braking distances.

Given the question is whether or not to worry about buying a car that doesn't have ABS, I would say don't worry. When I started driving virtually no cars had ABS and I lived to tell the tale. Just ease up on the tailgating and learn to modulate the pedal.

GC8E2DD said:

Given the question is whether or not to worry about buying a car that doesn't have ABS, I would say don't worry. When I started driving virtually no cars had ABS and I lived to tell the tale. Just ease up on the tailgating and learn to modulate the pedal.

Good call that..

Many thanks to all for their 2c - keep 'em coming!

GravelBen said:

Much better off without ABS on gravel, snow etc though.

Really?! man its helpful in my opinoin specailly when one light touch of brakes causes your wheels to lock and you start skidding out of control i mean its got me over the lewis when it was beyond frozen over and they closed it after i got thru >.>

GravelBen said:

Agreed, I'm quite happy buying cars without it but wouldn't go removing it from a road car that does have it.

As a person who does more miles on gravel/snow/ice than most I prefer ABS

Some cars are a right pain in the arse on grave with abs , we had late model corollas at work and the abs would kick in almost at the sign of a couple of loose chips on the sealed road, they were terrible.. New BT50 utes aint that flash either.

Kick in 2 early for my liking

funkytown']

[quote name='CUDDAS said:

I removed mine years ago & was a bit of a job & i have no problems with stopping, cant say i even miss it. :)

/quote]

could you do me a fairly comprehensive write up? via pm or other would be very helpful. I'd like to strip mine all out if i can logically and legally.

Hey funky i re-loomed the gt with the rs loom which didn't have abs, & also changed the brake master cyclinder & proportion valve & you need to make the front lines shorter or make up some new one's, with engine & trans out it's easier, remove the wheel sensors, i left the abs sprockets on the hubs though.

& in the rs with the abs loom in the car i have just disconected it from the loom, (ie: abs unit plug's at drivers headlight dont have anything to plug into with unit removed) removed the the relay & fuse blocks for abs , sorced another brake master cyclinder & proportion valve & with my new dash cluster make sure there is no bulb in your case or have abs :)

DRFVDR']

[quote name='GravelBen said:

Agreed, I'm quite happy buying cars without it but wouldn't go removing it from a road car that does have it.

/quote]

As a person who does more miles on gravel/snow/ice than most I prefer ABS

As a person who does many more miles than most on gravel/snow/ice I'd prefer not having it on gravel and snow, it tends to get confused - I'm sure the newer systems are better, but most of us aren't using those.

I've had ABS make cars accelerate driving down snowy hills, not a good feeling! Off the brakes and back on gently enough to prevent ABS trigger, slow/stop no problem. Slowly increase pressure to the point where ABS triggers and I get the old ABS pedal vibration but the car accelerates again. (the pulses are too sharp and just lock/release each time whereas I can modulate more gently myself)

Similar story on gravel, it pulses at you but won't bite through the loose stuff to the harder layer underneath, I can stop much more quickly without it.

Corrugated gravel is the worst though, many times I've had ABS trigger coming downhill into a tight corner and give me no braking whatsoever, sometimes its early enough to slow the car with the handbrake without sliding, otherwise you handbrake it round the corner. (every time a wheel is momentarily off the ground on the bumps the ABS thinks its locked and releases it, then before it reapplies useful pressure its off ground and released again)

On those surfaces its something I really have to drive around rather than benefiting from.

gmeago']

[quote name='driftrex said:

i'd rather not have it, my wrx doesnt have it.

/quote]

Just service the brakes and upgrade the rubber ya reckon..?

RE001's / T1R's and 4pot upgrade up front / 2pot upgrade in the rear - should maximise non-ABS braking power?

Would upgrading the wheel size affect braking at all? At the mo it's got V2 STI / V3 STI wheels (not sure why there's a fair of each, the V3 STI wheels are 6.5" instead of 6") but would look to upgrade wheels to atleast 17's for asthetic purposes.. If it aided in braking too, would speed that process up somewhat! Would need to fit the 4pot's first though..

If you can lock up the brakes, which you should have no problem doing in that car, then they are powerful enough. If you can't, then new pads and fluid should fix that. A brake upgrade should only be necessary if you plan to take it on the track - and even then you would be upgrading the disc/ caliper size more for heat dissipation than outright stopping power. Good tyres will help to avoid locking them up. Not running too much camber will help. Learning not to ask an unloaded wheel to do heavy braking will also help. Larger wheels might give you more airflow around the discs, and with wider tyres you get a slightly larger contact patch.